in reply to: #4685270

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4685295

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Triathlon Dating Thread Ver 2.0
The potential accuracy of the e-Card notwithstanding, I found it to be hilarious Laughing
2013-04-03 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4685298

2013-04-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4162190

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Hah!  It is funny... Single girl advice can't be any worse than the advice I get from my guy friends.  They can't seem to differentiate between looking for a relationship and looking to get laid.
2013-04-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4685398

Elite
Cleveland

Zero2Athlete - 2013-04-03 2:39 PM Hah!  It is funny... Single girl advice can't be any worse than the advice I get from my guy friends.  They can't seem to differentiate between looking for a relationship and looking to get laid.

Woah... woah... WOAH!

There's a difference?

2013-04-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4685425

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
cgregg - 2013-04-03 2:48 PM

Zero2Athlete - 2013-04-03 2:39 PM Hah!  It is funny... Single girl advice can't be any worse than the advice I get from my guy friends.  They can't seem to differentiate between looking for a relationship and looking to get laid.

Woah... woah... WOAH!

There's a difference?

The difference being whether you give your real name and phone number or fake ones?

2013-04-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4685398

2013-04-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4685438

Elite
Cleveland
oooohhhhhhh.....  yeah, gotcha.
2013-04-04 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4685441

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Teejaay - 2013-04-03 2:55 PM

Zero2Athlete - 2013-04-03 11:39 AM Hah!  It is funny... Single girl advice can't be any worse than the advice I get from my guy friends.  They can't seem to differentiate between looking for a relationship and looking to get laid.

It's the same for women too .. I have many single friends that love their freedom and see no point in getting tied down to one guy.  They think the same way and just want to get me laid. LOL. That is not the problem, that's easy .. I am looking for something a bit more! 

Where were your friends when all I wanted was a piece of a$$?  Getting the girls to go away was the hard part...harder still --> finding that one that I don't want to go away.  But I'm preaching to the choir on that one.

2013-04-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4686165

Edited by Teejaay 2013-04-04 11:40 AM

2013-04-04 8:08 PM

Elite
3 dates this week. 3 mehs. Not engaging, no personality...is this all that's left??
2013-04-04 11:06 PM
in reply to: #4687406

Washington, DC

turtlegirl - 2013-04-04 9:08 PM 3 dates this week. 3 mehs. Not engaging, no personality...is this all that's left??

Been there! Have done the online dating thing off and on for a while, and find that most of the guys I go out with are perfectly nice...there's just no spark. I've found a few, though, that are really fun and interesting. It just takes some time...Dating often feels like a lot of work...

Erin

2013-04-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4687546

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
erfitzge - 2013-04-04 11:06 PM

turtlegirl - 2013-04-04 9:08 PM 3 dates this week. 3 mehs. Not engaging, no personality...is this all that's left??

Been there! Have done the online dating thing off and on for a while, and find that most of the guys I go out with are perfectly nice...there's just no spark. I've found a few, though, that are really fun and interesting. It just takes some time...Dating often feels like a lot of work...

Erin

What needs to happen for a spark to be felt?  Are they just being too passive?  Something about them that irks you?  

I think this is where a lot of guys struggle (myself included).  I can't count how many times I've had dates that went great, but then the girl slowly tapers off all communication.

2013-04-06 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4689250

Master
Madison, WI
msteiner - 2013-04-06 9:29 AM

What needs to happen for a spark to be felt?  Are they just being too passive?  Something about them that irks you?  

I think this is where a lot of guys struggle (myself included).  I can't count how many times I've had dates that went great, but then the girl slowly tapers off all communication.

For me, it's a whole host of things, including things such as,
-what he smells like (smell is a powerful aphrodisiac for me, and I don't mean cologne. Cologne is a huge turn off.
-did he make me laugh/smile/feel good
-does he have interesting things to say
-does he challenge me in some way

A guy can look good on paper and then be totally disappointing in person. Or he can be completely nice, but I don't feel challenged, intrigued, engaged. Or, he can be perfect in every other way and have the wrong smell.

But honestly, "spark" is one of those "it just happens sometimes" kinds of things. Sometimes, I couldn't tell you why there's a spark. There just is. Or, there just isn't. Sometimes I really want there to be a spark where there is none, and sometimes I'm absolutely kicking myself for feeling a spark when I know I shouldn't.

Dang sparks.
2013-04-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4689257

Washington, DC
DeannaS - 2013-04-06 10:43 AM
msteiner - 2013-04-06 9:29 AM

For me, it's a whole host of things, including things such as, -what he smells like (smell is a powerful aphrodisiac for me, and I don't mean cologne. Cologne is a huge turn off. -did he make me laugh/smile/feel good -does he have interesting things to say -does he challenge me in some way A guy can look good on paper and then be totally disappointing in person. Or he can be completely nice, but I don't feel challenged, intrigued, engaged. Or, he can be perfect in every other way and have the wrong smell. But honestly, "spark" is one of those "it just happens sometimes" kinds of things. Sometimes, I couldn't tell you why there's a spark. There just is. Or, there just isn't. Sometimes I really want there to be a spark where there is none, and sometimes I'm absolutely kicking myself for feeling a spark when I know I shouldn't. Dang sparks.

Yup...all of these things. I think, for me, the "spark" is much less about looks than it is about humor/wit. If a guy can make me laugh, and is intelligent/verbal enough to have a good conversation with on a first date...98 times out of 100 I'm going to be up for a second date.

This obviously goes both ways, too... The last couple of guys I've been out with a few times ended up fading...not me. We got along great, but they obviously didn't feel as strongly about me as I did about them. 

As to your questions? The two most common issues are: (1) Yes...too passive...though being too aggressive kind of weirds me out, too...so...I have little to offer in the way of advice here. It's a difficult needle to thread; and (2) being really self involved. I ask a lot of questions in the first few dates...but with some guys, I'll get to the end of the night and realize that they didn't ask me more than one or two. And then I get annoyed.

2013-04-06 2:38 PM

Master
Gig Harbor

Update to the date that never was: 

Today was supposed to be date #2 with the woman I met last weekend.

Yesterday, while driving to my sisters, I get a text from her.  (I'm already almost in Oregon after 2 hours of driving, it's 5:30 p.m.

"I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night have work obligations I cannot get out of.  Ceo will be in town and we are going out with executives from company we are trying to partner with."

Me:

"but I packed my sexy jeans...I'd hate for them to go to waste....want to go out later tonight instead? It can't be for dinner, i'm meeting my sister and some friend in about 30 minutes for dinner...but we could get a glass of wine or something"

Her:

"I have plans tonight or I would"

Me: 

"I had a good time last weekend, and I was really looking forward to this weekend"  

Then silence...nothing from her for 30 minutes... so I send her a final text..

"If I was going to get blown off this weekend, I would have preferred a text before I drove down here....take care."

"Just so you know, it's not that you cancelled tomorrow night, I understand things come up, it's that you didn't offer up any alternative whatsoever."

She sent me one last text.

"Wow u are taking this way too personal.  You didn't give me a chance to offer up an alternative.  I'm busy tonight.  I have to work tomorrow and surly don't want to and I didn't want to assume you were hanging around Sunday."  

Are you fricking kidding me?  This is somehow my fault?  I didn't give her a chance to offer an alternative...really?  You couldn't type one sentence in any of your texts to me that said "So Sorry to do this to you..can't make Saturday - are you free Sunday?"  

You didn't want to assume I was hanging around Sunday?  You actually thought I would drive to Portland (2 1/2 hours), take you to Dinner, and then drive all the way home the same night?  

Good riddance.  Lucky I got out of that one.  Saved my dinner money and get to hang out with my sister and her family instead.

Next! 

2013-04-06 3:33 PM

Elite
For me it's witty banter. And shared sense of humor. For example, if you think Seinfeld is horrible, I'm not going to waste my time. I make too many references and the poor guy would be lost...oh and sports. I can't get over the number of guys that don't watch then. I know I'm an oddity, but I listen to sports radio even. At least have one baseball, hockey, or football team I can taunt you about.
2013-04-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4689427

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Muskrat37 - 2013-04-06 2:38 PM

Yesterday, while driving to my sisters, I get a text from her.  (I'm already almost in Oregon after 2 hours of driving, it's 5:30 p.m.

"I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night have work obligations I cannot get out of.  Ceo will be in town and we are going out with executives from company we are trying to partner with."

Me:

"but I packed my sexy jeans...I'd hate for them to go to waste....want to go out later tonight instead? It can't be for dinner, i'm meeting my sister and some friend in about 30 minutes for dinner...but we could get a glass of wine or something"

Her:

Me: 

"I had a good time last weekend, and I was really looking forward to this weekend"  

"If I was going to get blown off this weekend, I would have preferred a text before I drove down here....take care."

"Just so you know, it's not that you cancelled tomorrow night, I understand things come up, it's that you didn't offer up any alternative whatsoever."

"Wow u are taking this way too personal.  You didn't give me a chance to offer up an alternative.  I'm busy tonight.  I have to work tomorrow and surly don't want to and I didn't want to assume you were hanging around Sunday."  

Are you fricking kidding me?  This is somehow my fault?  I didn't give her a chance to offer an alternative...really?  You couldn't type one sentence in any of your texts to me that said "So Sorry to do this to you..can't make Saturday - are you free Sunday?"  

You didn't want to assume I was hanging around Sunday?  You actually thought I would drive to Portland (2 1/2 hours), take you to Dinner, and then drive all the way home the same night?  

Good riddance.  Lucky I got out of that one.  Saved my dinner money and get to hang out with my sister and her family instead.

Next! 

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Muskrat...buddy...you messed this one up.  

The conversation, if it were me, would have went like this.

"I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night  have work obligations I cannot get out of.  Ceo will be in town and we are going out with executives from company we are trying to partner with."

Me: "That's ok.  Life happens. Are you busy Sunday?"

While I think your attempt at humor was noble, I thought it was a bit heavy on the sauce, but maybe my texting lacks personality.  Different strokes, I reckon.

This text started pushing her away.  She can't control something work related happening, and you sending this isn't helping.

If I was going to get blown off this weekend, I would have preferred a text before I drove down here....take care."

"Just so you know, it's not that you cancelled tomorrow night, I understand things come up, it's that you didn't offer up any alternative whatsoever"

Patience!  You just burned a bridge to a potentially awesome woman that you met just a couple of weeks ago over ONE cancellation.

In my opinion, she's right.  You did take it too personally.  Maybe she was doing something and couldn't text within 30 minutes of your last text.

I only say this, because I lost a girl doing what you just did.  Ladies, is my logic wrong here?

2013-04-06 4:19 PM

Elite
Agreed, a little pushy. I can understand your anger about driving, but what if it was truly a last minute thing?
2013-04-06 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4689500

Master
Madison, WI
turtlegirl - 2013-04-06 4:19 PM

Agreed, a little pushy. I can understand your anger about driving, but what if it was truly a last minute thing?

Yep, agreed. It felt like a needy icky exchange.

2013-04-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4689506

Champion
South Jersey
DeannaS - 2013-04-06 5:27 PM
turtlegirl - 2013-04-06 4:19 PMAgreed, a little pushy. I can understand your anger about driving, but what if it was truly a last minute thing?
Yep, agreed. It felt like a needy icky exchange.
I agree as well. Msteiner's advice was spot on. And put yourself in her shoes for a moment. A last-minute important work thing just popped up -- and is ruining her weekend nonetheless. She was probably feeling a bit frustrated, stressed and/or overwhelmed. And, her date with you was probably not the only thing being impacted by this.
2013-04-06 6:22 PM

Master
Gig Harbor

Very interesting to read everyone's perspectives.

If it was me cancelling plans at the last minute, I would have said something like "I am sooooo sorry to do this to you, but something came up at work and I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow night.  Do you have any other free time this weekend?"  

Doesn't the onus fall on the person cancelling?  If she would have said "What are your plans the rest of the weekend?"  I would have had ZERO problem with the cancellation.  She had multiple opportunities to do that - she didn't.  Then, she made it worse when she said that I didn't give her an opportunity to offer up an alternative.  

Also interesting that Carrot thinks the whole thing sounded needy.  I am anything but needy.  This is one of the reasons I prefer a good old fashioned phone call to texting.  I thought that after offering up Friday -and getting shot down - following with "how about Sunday?" would sound pretty needy.  Like a bad comedy skit "Can you go out Friday?" "Nope - I'm busy"  "How about Saturday?  Sunday?  Monday?  Next weekend?..."  

2013-04-06 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4689480

Elite
msteiner - 2013-04-07 8:48 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-04-06 2:38 PM

Me:

Her:

Me: 

Next! 

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Muskrat...buddy...you messed this one up.  

The conversation, if it were me, would have went like this.

"I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night  have work obligations I cannot get out of.  Ceo will be in town and we are going out with executives from company we are trying to partner with."

Me: "That's ok.  Life happens. Are you busy Sunday?"

While I think your attempt at humor was noble, I thought it was a bit heavy on the sauce, but maybe my texting lacks personality.  Different strokes, I reckon.

This text started pushing her away.  She can't control something work related happening, and you sending this isn't helping.

If I was going to get blown off this weekend, I would have preferred a text before I drove down here....take care."

"Just so you know, it's not that you cancelled tomorrow night, I understand things come up, it's that you didn't offer up any alternative whatsoever"

Patience!  You just burned a bridge to a potentially awesome woman that you met just a couple of weeks ago over ONE cancellation.

In my opinion, she's right.  You did take it too personally.  Maybe she was doing something and couldn't text within 30 minutes of your last text.

I only say this, because I lost a girl doing what you just did.  Ladies, is my logic wrong here?

You think that line would push someone away - I'd be thrilled if someone sent that! 

As an observer..I think you were true to yourself here - you said you enjoyed meeting, you said you were a little annoyed you drove all that way for nothing.

I'm a stickler for manners, her opening line was I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night, there was no sorry or apology offered.  I would have said, I hope you haven't driven already.

In fact if you're doing that I wouldve phoned not sent a message.  I think she got cold feet.

2013-04-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4689628

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
jobaxas - 2013-04-06 7:38 PM 

You think that line would push someone away - I'd be thrilled if someone sent that! 

As an observer..I think you were true to yourself here - you said you enjoyed meeting, you said you were a little annoyed you drove all that way for nothing.

I'm a stickler for manners, her opening line was I'm not going to be able to go out tomorrow night, there was no sorry or apology offered.  I would have said, I hope you haven't driven already.

In fact if you're doing that I wouldve phoned not sent a message.  I think she got cold feet.

The frowny emoticon was her "I'm sorry and I feel bad about this".  

They went out once.  If she wasn't interested she wouldn't have set up date #2.

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Triathlon Dating Thread Ver 2.0 Rss Feed  

of 64