General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well I think I'm hooked. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-21 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Well I think I'm hooked.

Well I think I am hooked on training.  It's hard to believe that just under 2 months ago I was almost a 3/4 pack a day smoker and didn't do much of anything for my health.  Now for the second Friday night in a row, I turned in early, passed on the invitation to go out to the bars, and went out for a nice hard training this morning. 

Did a 25mi bike ride, followed by a 2mi run, then some resistance training.  Still have a long way to go, but this is the first time I think ever in my life that I actually looked forward to a work out session.

Just needed to share, because I feel great today, an most of my friends think I'm crazy or wont do it.  (I've said I would get into shape before many times, like most people).  But hey in my defense I never said I would do a triathlonLaughing.

I guess I have one question to.  I'm finding it very difficult to transition between bike/run.  I'm sure this is normal, but any tips to make it go smoother?  Or do you just got to suck it up and go with it? 

2012-04-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4164446

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: Well I think I'm hooked.
Congrats on making it this far!  2 months ago I never rode a road bike...or swam with ANY sort of form lol, and now I'm just like you...HOOKED on training!  
2012-04-21 1:55 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Regarding the transition from bike to run, some people are more affected by it then others.  I personally have no troubles and some folks take a bit to warm up.  I suspect as your conditioning improves though, both on the bike and on the run the easier it will get for you.  It also depends on how hard you go out on the bike as to how you might feel on the run.

Good for you for making a life change like that.  Keep it up

2012-04-21 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Findlay

Congratulations on your accomplishment first off!

Regarding the bike to run transition, I have found that as your bike fitness increases it will be easier to run off the bike. Maybe a couple times a week try to do a short run of 1/2 mile or so after you bike. Also if you push a big gear on the bike it will also affect how your legs are off the bike. I found it helps a bit to go to a lesser gear and a bit higher cadence near the end of the bike to flush the legs and help prepare them to run. Just watch your pace at first running and dont go out too hard, I find that after the bike I am used to my legs moving fast and it easy to over do it on the first part of the run. Hope this helps!

2012-04-21 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS

Awesome, keep up the good progress

2012-04-21 10:58 PM

User image

Congrats on your addiction.  It'll only grow when you do your first triathlon

For the bike/run transition - yes, its a very real phenomenon that virtually everyone experiences.  Here's some more information on the science behind why it's difficult: 

http://www.xtri.com/run-tech/detail/284-itemId.511713637.html

For what it's worth, a friend of mine noticed that when he switched to a tri-specific bike, his transition was much easier.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess that is a pretty common scenario with a tri-bike - with its different angles, it may very well do a better job of getting the posterior chain and the glutes involved to make the transition easier.

2012-04-22 12:59 AM

I believe that being further forward and over the pedals on a tri bike causes more of a pushing motion using the quads and takes away some if the backwards pull of the hamstrings - thus saving the hams for the run where they are one of the key muscles (glutes too).When running, especially if you are a heel striker, there is a great deal of work to be done by the hams. I'm not sure why the jelly legs effect happens (i get it even when I ride my bike to the station and then jump off it to run if I'm late for the train!), but the quad/ham balance is the benefit of a tri bike, so I believe at least I'm brand new to this though so I guess ill find out the real way soon.So it wouldnt be a bad idea to trot round a half mile lap after each ride?
2012-04-22 10:11 AM

User image

Regular

Two months of training equals a habit for which there is no cure!!! Welcome to the addiction and congrats on the lifestyle change. Who knows maybe your dedication to your health may get one of your fellow bar buddies to make a change of their own.

The bike to run transition will get better with time and training. Seeing as your just getting started training I wouldn't incorporate too many bricks just yet. Crawl before you brick!!! Give yourself some time to get your aerobic fitness up a bit and then drop a brick or two into your training here and there. Don't do too much too fast and get frustrated.

2012-04-22 11:21 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

That's awesome. I was much like you--always set out to "get in shape" but never really stuck with anything. Getting in shape was such a vague goal.

Triathlon is a whole different animal. When you know you have a race coming up, that changes things. I know if I don't train, I'm in for a sufferfest or a DNF. That motivates me.

So if you haven't registered for a race or two, I recommend doing so. Good job!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well I think I'm hooked. Rss Feed