General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel strike or mid-sole/forefoot strike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-22 1:07 AM

Subject: Heel strike or mid-sole/forefoot strike?
Hi all,I'm new to this and am very excited to have transitioned into your world from my last one. I was wondering, how do you strike when you run?I weigh 107kg (236lbs) and have found that the shock wave of a heel strike at my weight is more injury-prone than the musclular force of mid-sole running, and it is less efficient in its braking mechanics. So I have adapted to midsole running and it suits my body well, strengthening my lower leg and foot muscles in the process.I've also suffered with Achilles tendonitis before, so to involve an eccentric contraction and a concentric, rather than just a roll and concentric, protects me from those issues. I guess it sets me well towards barefoot running if I ever get lighter and fancy that.Please note, strangely I also find it more efficient to run like a sprinter with my hips tilted forwards and up, and my knees high, concentrating on lifting my feet off the floor instead of striking.But I don't know if any of this is right according to you with experience as I'm only new to it.So how do you run? It'll be interesting to me to see how you all do it.CheersJames

2012-04-22 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4165012

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-22 6:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Heel strike or mid-sole/forefoot strike?

I, too, run with a mid-sole strike, keeping my feet under my body. 

During my first year of triathlon training/racing, my running style led to tendinitis and knee pain. It also made distances above six miles almost impossible.I switched shoes and began working on changing my form. The change has enabled me to run relatively injury-free for several years. I encourage you to read the book "Natural Running" by Danny Abshire.  Also take a peek at newtonrunning.com. They have weekly run-form drills to encourage mid-sole strike. ( the shoes are pretty awesome, too).

Thanks for the question & welcome to triathlon!

2012-04-22 7:41 AM

Master
Honestly, all of the above depending how how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling pain anywhere, I have to adjust my strike. I think most do that naturally. If I'm fighting exhaustion, I tend to do a shuffle that has me landing on my heel first and it feels good and right at that time. I've run for many years without injuries related to running so I think it's worked well for me.
2012-04-22 8:28 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Sounds about right to me.
2012-04-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4165046

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-04-22 10:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

Monbeef - 2012-04-22 1:07 AM Hi all,I'm new to this and am very excited to have transitioned into your world from my last one. I was wondering, how do you strike when you run?I weigh 107kg (236lbs) and have found that the shock wave of a heel strike at my weight is more injury-prone than the musclular force of mid-sole running, and it is less efficient in its braking mechanics. So I have adapted to midsole running and it suits my body well, strengthening my lower leg and foot muscles in the process.I've also suffered with Achilles tendonitis before, so to involve an eccentric contraction and a concentric, rather than just a roll and concentric, protects me from those issues. I guess it sets me well towards barefoot running if I ever get lighter and fancy that.Please note, strangely I also find it more efficient to run like a sprinter with my hips tilted forwards and up, and my knees high, concentrating on lifting my feet off the floor instead of striking.But I don't know if any of this is right according to you with experience as I'm only new to it.So how do you run? It'll be interesting to me to see how you all do it.CheersJames

The transition to the above is exactly what I am working through now. It's a long and slow and careful process for me. Apparently I have very delicate little feet! I have some dull soreness in the tops of my feet but no shin splints or knee pain that I had when attempting to run on my heels. I'm using Vibrams and a playlist of music at 180 beats per minute to get that faster cadence that helps me land with my feet directly under my weight instead of overstriding. It feels more natural with each passing week, I'm getting hooked!

2012-04-22 11:00 AM

Veteran
Knoxville

I guarantee that none of you land with your foot directly under your hips.

Jay

2012-04-22 12:05 PM

I too am focused on landing (i hate the word "striking".... It evokes force and damage when i'm trying to glide and NOT damage) on my midfoot and found that cadence drills every single run assist in this regard. Usually, i think that when runners try to run quickly, we elongate our stride and heel-land, causing the jarring and actual slowdown you mention. As such, i try to combat this with cadence drills, trying to keep the footfall rate at least at 180/ min. However, during the drills, i aim to put my feet down as fast as possible....i take a 30 second measure out of each mile and count one foot (usually my left) during the period and then multiple by four (2 for 2 feet and 2 for 2 30 sec periods in a minute). Usually, by focusing on this drill, i have found i can run faster without injury, and make myself run on my midfoot. It also makes me not "strike" as i only am lifting my foot off the ground as little as possible....think of tire drills....it seems to work of me.

Good luck.
2012-04-22 12:44 PM

Brilliant, thanks all, and thanks for the welcome! It's nice to be welcomed to the sport and not just the forum. It seems to be a nice community and I can't wait to sign up for a race.I wonder if its because of sprinting in spikes back as a teen that I only feel natural on the front of my feet. With sprint spikes you can't put your feet down, so it must have conditioned my feet.I spoke to a few marathon runners at work etc and every single one of them ran with a heel-strike and frowned at me when I suggested mid-sole! So I thought id ask. It's encouraging to see so many of you do it or are working towards it. The runners I know are each ten stone or so, so its probably how they don't jar themselves.Re the weight, I'm coming across from natural bodybuilding so its predominantly muscle which still won't help the events but atleast is good functional weight as opposed to fatty tissue. I guess without muscle loss I'd sit at 5% bodyfat around 90kg (198lbs or so). So from this training with some inevitable mucle loss and a probable maintenance condition of 10%, ill be anywhere around 200lbs by the time I'm where my first goals lie.Id be happy with that.With a bit of luck ill catch on well and be able to join in the races! At my size my aim will be to become a quick sprint triathlete and do my best at olympic. I'll never be an ironman at my weight I'm sure. There would need to be a trade off somewhere.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel strike or mid-sole/forefoot strike? Rss Feed