General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking with hamstring strain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-24 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: biking with hamstring strain?

Background: raced a marathon in March, then raced a ten-miler two weeks after that, then ramped up training for the Flying Pig marathon on May 6. Somewhere along the way, developed a raging case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Continued to run on it (with lots of icing and stretching), but must have been subconsciously altering my form, because I'm now experiencing a good amount of pain in my left hamstring.

I'm tentatively planning to take off all running between now and May 6, and to drop back from the marathon to the half marathon. Flying Pig was planned to be a B race anyway, and I intended to start triathlon training post-marathon anyway -- so this gives me a two-week jump on that.

I'm planning to swim, obviously, but the pool schedule makes it not feasible to swim every day. Would I exacerbate my hamstring issue by riding on the trainer? I've never ridden injured before, so I have no idea what it would feel like.

2012-04-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4169478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: biking with hamstring strain?

I won't give you a red light or green light, but here's my experience: 

When I suffered a moderate hamstring strain a couple years ago, I followed my PT's instructions to take 2 weeks off completely of anything but swimming. In fact, I swam with a pull buoy only for about a week, then progressed to some kicking (then pushing off the wall). AFter 2 weeks she felt it'd healed enough to start riding. Even then, I only did easy spinning on flat roads or the trainer for about another 2 weeks, stretched and iced afterward, etc. 

Each case will be different, but I took it extra conservatively because I didn't want to wind up with a high-grade tear and be off of any training for months. You might be able to try some easy spinning and see if that causes any pain or discomfort. Lay off of the hard climbs for a while for sure. 

Hamstring strains suck...good luck healing! 

2012-04-24 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am experiencing a grade 1 hamstring tear.  I have been biking on it and haven't had any pain nor has it made it worse.  I think a lot of it is how severe is your tear, as I learned there is different grades of tears.  Good luck with your recovery and run.
2012-04-24 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
New York

I had a hamstring strain a few years ago (which reared its ugly head again last month from some solid overstriding during a half marathon). Spent a ton of time doing pull buoy swimming.

I have the same advice as others suggested above. EASY spinning only -- stick to the trainer so you can hop off at any time in case it hurts and do little to no resistance to start out. My biggest issue turned out to be being clipped in, since pulling back with the foot engaged the hamstring muscles. Mashing, though that's bad cycling form, was better. Your other option if you're on the trainer is to do single leg drills on the uninjured side.

I haven't tried biking yet this time around because I'm also a little worried about aggravating the injury. But I find my PT's rule to be pretty solid advice: if it hurts -- STOP. 

Good luck! Hope you heal up fast.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking with hamstring strain? Rss Feed