General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman - Essential kit & Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 4:01 PM

Subject: First Ironman - Essential kit & Nutrition

Hi,

I've my first ironman in 3.5 weeks in Lanzorote, just wanted to run my essential kit and nutrition plan past people just to make sure im not missing anything...

Swim 

Tri Suit, wetsuit, goggles, swim cap

Bike

Helmet, Glasses, socks, Seat bag, - containing 2 tubes, 2 c02 canisters, levers, mini tool kit, horizontal bar bag - Gels, power bars, 2 drinking bottles pre filled with my mix

Run

Trainers, dry socks.

Nutrition

I'll be using power bar gels and bars on the bike and then using the on course aid stations which are handing out power bar gels and bars, coca cole, water, fruit.

What would you suggest for the special aid station where I will be able to collect my own food bag? There will be one on the bike course and one on the run course.

Thanks

Michael

2012-04-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4173143

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First Ironman - Essential kit & Nutrition

Some things that were on my list I didn't see on yours:

Body Glide
Sunscreen
Race belt

I also had a lot of "spare" things in case of emergencies: Tylenol, Gas X, Bio Freeze, rain jacket, long-sleeved shirt, race belt, chap stick, visor, tubes/c02, sunscreen, contacts, wet wipes, etc.

For food in special needs bags, I put in something sweet (tootsie rolls) and something salty (salt/vinegar potato chips). Different things sounded good at different times. 

2012-04-25 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

First, good luck on your race.

For the swim, I'd bring an extra pair of goggles and bodyglide

For the bike, you won't be able to fly with CO2 and will need to get there.  Sunglasses, shoes, if you are taking the bike apart, pedal wrench.  Mark seat position, etc. with tape.

For the run, a hat

sunscreen, race number belt 

2012-04-25 6:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser

These just happen to be my own personal lists--just ideas if there's anything you might want that you hadn't thought of. Good luck at Lanzarote!

BAGS: BIKE/TRANSITION/SPECIAL

BagItem

Pre-race/post-raceSwim cap
 2 goggles
 pink watch
 bottle of water
 bottle of Gatorade
 neoprene cap
 earplugs
 chip strap
 warm hat
 scarf
 headlamp

BIKE/T12 water (rinse,drink)
 Car towel
 Lube (Aquaphor)
 Ironman socks
 Bike shoes
 Bike jersey
 Race belt w/numbers
 Sunblock
 Pink windbreaker
 w/inhaler in pocket
 Halo
 Helmet
 Gloves

ON BIKEBike Number
(check-in)Aerobottle
 Bike Computer (reset)
 In small gear

Bento box
 pieces of Powerbar
 (take out of baggie/
 dump in race morn)

Saddle Bag
 3 cartridges
 cartridge adaptor
 bike tool
 extra tyre levers
 flat changing diagram
 patch kit
 cash
 2 spare tubes
 razor blade
 zip ties
 bar/duct/elec tape

Bike Special FoodsOreo pack
 Cheese cookies
 Wet wipes
 lube

RUN/T2extra watch
 spider gloves
 Salts
 towel
 razor blade
 pink neckerchief
 wetties
 run shorts
 extra sports bra
 long-sleeve tech
 Bali triathlon shirt
 running shoes in bag

Run Special FoodsOreo packet
 Cheese cookies
 Froot Loops
 Wet wipes
 lube
 Salts

2012-04-25 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

I always see people talk about bringing 2 goggles. I find this Odd.

Seems to me if your goggles snap or get knocked off, you're likely to be out in the water and making a U-turn to get replacements is going to be as or more inconvenient than just punching it thru and going forward...

Unless you're somehow carrying the extra goggles on your person?

2012-04-25 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

One of the reoccurring items that I see people mention are those Uncrustable Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches in their special needs bag.

Depending on your estimated finish time, something warmer to wear once the sun goes down?

2012-04-25 8:59 PM

User image

New user
Put running clothes in your run bag, even if you plan to run in your tri shorts. Bike accidents happen. See my 2011 IMWI race report.
2012-04-26 7:16 AM

Thanks for all the helpfull hints and tips guys, this will help when packing my case, though don't think I need worry about the warm clothing its going to be 30 + eeeekkkkkkk.

With regards to the C02 canisters not being allowed I was going to pack them with my bike and not on my carry on case should they not be ok?

Thanks

Michael.

2012-04-26 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4173488

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
gwbuild - 2012-04-25 9:02 PM

Seems to me if your goggles snap or get knocked off, you're likely to be out in the water and making a U-turn to get replacements is going to be as or more inconvenient than just punching it thru and going forward...

I had my goggles break as I put them on my head. I was still standing in transition, so having an extra pair was handy.

I have also had teammates who broke or forgot or lost goggles pre-race so I was able to help them out by having an extra pair.

Not so Odd.

2012-04-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4173987

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
fullylit - 2012-04-26 7:16 AM

Thanks for all the helpfull hints and tips guys, this will help when packing my case, though don't think I need worry about the warm clothing its going to be 30 + eeeekkkkkkk.

With regards to the C02 canisters not being allowed I was going to pack them with my bike and not on my carry on case should they not be ok?

Thanks

Michael.

CO2 cannisters are not allowed in checked OR carry on luggage.  They aren't allowed on planes at all.  Buy some at destination!

2012-04-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4174265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Nipper - 2012-04-26 8:52 AM

I had my goggles break as I put them on my head. I was still standing in transition, so having an extra pair was handy.

I have also had teammates who broke or forgot or lost goggles pre-race so I was able to help them out by having an extra pair.

Not so Odd.

I always bring one pair of tinted goggles and one pair of clear.  That way, whether it's dark and cloudy or bright and sunny, I know I'm covered.

2012-04-26 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

For special needs:

Bike - spare tube and CO2.  If you have a special on-course drink, then spare bottle(s).

Run - Long sleeve layer or shell to add for after dark.  Lubricant (like Body Glide or Vasoline).  I packed a favorite Clif Bar to have as a quick 'pity party'... 

I've worked bike special needs at IMAZ and I'll just say, don't pack anything that can be crushed or broken.  Seriously.  The bags get piled carelessly in big cardboard boxes to transport out to the course.  Also, don't rely on your special needs bag:  At IMSG, they couldn't find my run bag...I had to stop and help them look (it had been put in the wrong box).

2012-05-01 10:18 AM

New user
DC Metro

I never used to bring 2 goggles.  Then one tri we were standing on the beach and someone next to me put their goggles on.  The plastic snapped and they broke completely.  Not fixable.  He ended up going sans goggles.  I suppose some places he could have run up to the Tech tent and purchased a new pair, but then you are stuck with whatever brand they have.  I now always have a spare in my bag.  That way I could run back to transition and make a change.  It may never happen, but it is worth the $20 to me to know that I will be OK if it does.  I wear contacts, and wouldn't even try a swim without goggles.  You're right that if I have a problem mid swim I'm still screwed, but I still carry 2 to the tri.

2012-05-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4183539

New user
DC Metro
davidwagar - 2012-05-01 11:18 AM

I never used to bring 2 goggles.  Then one tri we were standing on the beach and someone next to me put their goggles on.  The plastic snapped and they broke completely.  Not fixable.  He ended up going sans goggles.  I suppose some places he could have run up to the Tech tent and purchased a new pair, but then you are stuck with whatever brand they have.  I now always have a spare in my bag.  That way I could run back to transition and make a change.  It may never happen, but it is worth the $20 to me to know that I will be OK if it does.  I wear contacts, and wouldn't even try a swim without goggles.  You're right that if I have a problem mid swim I'm still screwed, but I still carry 2 to the tri.

OK, sorry to pile on.  I replied before I read down to the bottom and saw several others had already pointed this out. 

2012-05-01 10:28 AM

User image

Master

I would say that between your original list and the comments you should be good.

I would suggest not putting anything in your special needs that you want to get back. Some races give it back, some don't.

However, I would put some spares.

I had a spare tire (old one) in my bike special needs, just in case.

I had a spare pair or trainers in run special needs. It was an older pair, but again, I figured my feet might want a change. Also some sunscreen, spray on kind, since I was in Cozumel.

Keep the stuff you have in transition simple, emergency goods in special needs. The less you have to think about, the easier it will be. Also, aside from the stuff you listed, don't worry if you are missing something. The difference between a "have to have" item, like shoes and socks, and a "nice to have" item, like HR monitor, or and extra body glide, shouldn't cause you stress.

And of course, good luck and enjoy!

2012-05-01 6:52 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Don't forget your mojo, and enjoy your race. Nothing can beat the finish line of your first IM Cool

2012-05-01 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Just a few more things to add to your list that haven't been mentioned:

safety pins (pin numbers, pop blisters- nasty yes but it makes it feel a lot better)
toilet paper
gum -for fresh minty breath before the swim.

If you are used to consuming caffeine during the day then you may want to add something with caffeine to your bag. One of the popular gels contains caffeine.
2012-05-03 9:06 PM

New user

Woodinville, WA
gwbuild - 2012-04-25 8:02 PM

I always bring a couple pairs - one lightly tinted and one with heavy tint so I can make a game time decision based on how bright it is.  Plus - as an added bonus I once gave away my extra pair to another racer who'd forgotten theirs - it was a sprint race but they were super happy to not have to go without.

2012-05-13 7:45 AM

Fullylit,

I reckon you've got all the kit you need you f**king bender!!

2012-05-13 10:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

For special needs, think of anything that might happen between you and the finish line and what you might want to get past that challenge.

Upset stomach or other GI distress?  Pepto tablets, TUMS, etc.
Blisters?  Second skin, moleskin, duct tape, safety pin (to let out the fluid)
Cold?  Long sleeves
Flat tire?  Spare tube, maybe even a spare tire (if you flat and use your tube in the first half, you can have peace of mind picking up the extra tube in S/N)
Tylenol/Advil (Not generally recommended before/during endurance activity, but...it could be the difference between finishing or not...)

I'd also suggest packing for the trip an extra set of s/b/r gear so you can s/b/r the practice swims, check out reassembly of the bike, do some short runs.  Consider arm warmers or a long-sleeve jersey even if they predict 30C temps.  Both IM races I did have *typical* daytime highs between 85-95F and race day ended up unseasonably cold (62F at CdA, 74F at Vineman). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman - Essential kit & Nutrition Rss Feed