General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training and racing without enough sleep / sleeping during races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-26 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: training and racing without enough sleep / sleeping during races
So I am planning on the 100 miler in September. I did the 2 lap 100 ker in 20 hours 2 years so clearly this race is going to take me 30 hours or more (based on the fact that I am now in better shape but the race is 60 km longer).

So my question is what is my plan going to be. Am I going to be sleeping during the race? If I do will it be short naps or one long spell. I have been up for more than 24 hours before fueled by alcohol and adrenaline before.

I am thinking that I could take a break after 20 hours and have a 2-4 hour sleep, then carry on.

Or just go until I my pace drops to a 15 min km then just have a quick 30 min nap at a station.

Or go until dark, like 14-15 hours, then have a nap for a bit, then carry on. (I kinda like this idea because it was after 14 hours that things really fell apart for me 2 years ago so some rest then might be a good idea)

Anyway, so that is one question. Any thoughts?

The other question is how do I train for this. This week has been tough. I worked 12+ hour days Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday. Rode my bike both days an hour each way, ran 90 min on monday and an hour on tuesday. Ran 2 hours on Wednesday. Rode in today. Got 6 hours sleep each night. Today I could barely get out of bed for the soreness in my muscles and fog in my head but got on my bike to get to work. Is this good training? Should I be getting up after 2 hours sleep in the middle of the night to go for a 3 hour run to simulate the mental fatigue that I will be feeling (I read about this technique for people doing weeks long races where they try to run on as little sleep as possible)? Do I rely on the fact that really it is only one 30 hour segment and I should be able to gut it out without too much specific training?

Anyone?

2012-04-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4174720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: training and racing without enough sleep / sleeping during races

I'm sure there are so many approaches to this for those of us that take a little longer to finish.  Last year when I was training for my 100 (I ended up not doing it because I got Bell's Palsy and a bum foot), during training I got up one morning around 3am did a somewhat decent run of about 12 miles then stayed up all day and then met a friend to do a midnight trail run for about 5 hours.  I did this to #1 run trails in the dark & #2 to run tired.  

Having not done a 100 miler yet I'm not convinced that anything can prepare me for the fatigue :-)  

Also, I'm not sure I would even be able to take a nap. 

2012-04-26 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

You asked for thoughts, so warning - this is NOT from experience.

Thought #1 - I am slow so I think I am going to need every minute moving forward to complete the 100 in the alloted time - 32 hours for the Key's 100 that I plan to do some day.

THought #2 - after IM and after 50 miler and even marathons, after sitting, i can barely move. I mean BARELY.  I am afraid that if I napped or laid down for more than a few minutes, I would be down for the count - TKO, unable to respond and continue on.

Summary, I don't think I would try a catnap or whatever you want to call it unless I couldnt keep moving forward.

AS the other poster mentioned, and I'm sure you know, there's a 100 ways to skin a 100 mile cat.

Best of luck to you!

Gary

2012-04-26 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I agree with the problem with the nap is that stuff starts to seize up and swell. You know, when I did the 100k I did not stop at aid stations, I just powered through. Perhaps it would be as simple as lying down for 10 minutes at the aid stations once I get to 15 hours on the course. You know, just to stop the head from pounding and to relieve the stress for a bit. There is an aid station about every 10k or so.
2012-04-27 12:08 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

What's your longest planned training run? 

Maybe its stating the obvious but on one of those training runs try it out.  You'll at least then know how your body reacts to laying down or even napping for a short period. 

Plus then you can't  be accused of trying something in a race that you hadnt tried in training  Tongue out

2012-04-28 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
you know that is a good idea. I mean I wasn't planning on doing a longer training run as I have a trail marathon and a trail 50 miler planned. BUT...

On a good week, Monday-Friday, I can get in about 8 hours of biking and 8 hours of running. I could push the running a bit to 10 hours. Usually by Friday I am dead tired and in bed by 9. But, I could push it and stay up, do 3 to 4 hours of hills. Try the hour nap thing, then run another 3 hours. ......now to sell that to the wife.

2012-04-28 6:42 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)

In my experience most people would not sleep in a ~30 hour ultra.  My longest ultra has taken my 37 hours and I did not sleep in that.  I find that during the very early hours of the night is the hardest but once the sun starts to come up, I am fine again.  Of course every one is different.  I was pacing a friend once and in the middle of the night he was super tired and took a 20 minute cat nap.  I would advise against taking a long nap (1-2 hours) but try a short nap if you can't make it until the morning.  And, I don't train for this, just take it as it comes.....

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training and racing without enough sleep / sleeping during races Rss Feed