General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's a new one -- lady does her PT exercises ACROSS my lane Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-27 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: That's a new one -- lady does her PT exercises ACROSS my lane

To get this out of the way, no, I didn't say anything to her or ask her to move. 1. I had seen her limping in the locker room, so obviously she does have an issue and I felt bad for her, especially having recently healed from an injury myself; 2. I correctly figured she would not be in the pool long; and 3. it was a tight fit but yes, there was room for both of us.

But as soon as I saw her trying to get in the family pool, which is 10 degrees warmer but doesn't open until 8 a.m. (the lifeguard stopped her, of course), I knew, just KNEW, that this little old lady was going to get in my lane. I'm usually the only woman there that early, so maybe she figured I wouldn't give her a hard time??? She tried to chat me up about how cold the water was (I'm trying to do my laps, but thanks) and then started doing this kicking/stretching motion ACROSS the lane. If she would have hung on to the rear wall of the pool I would have hardly noticed she was there.

Oh well, I just swam around her, and she was gone in about 20 minutes, just like I predicted. I'll have to swim around other people during triathlons, so this could be considered specialized training, right?

2012-04-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4176559

User image

NC
Subject: RE: That's a new one -- lady does her PT exercises ACROSS my lane

When you say across, do you mean like side-to-side in the lane, or down and back the length of the pool?

2012-04-27 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
indiana
Dodging lane mates is definitely ows training. I had such a practice this morning. Lane mate was doing breast stroke and could touch wall and lane rope at the same time. Made for some interesting passes.

The life guard came over to me mid set and reminded me to hold my ground cause the aquasizers with their floating apparatus like to get in 30 minutes early and float , er I mean warm up. Didn't have any trouble but it's good to know they are on my side.
2012-04-27 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4176570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Goosedog - 2012-04-27 9:45 AM

When you say across, do you mean like side-to-side in the lane, or down and back the length of the pool?

She was hanging on to the side of the pool, stretching and kicking her legs 3/4 of the way across. I had to swim very close to the lane divider across from her, but she never did kick me.

Edited by Miles around Midtown 2012-04-27 9:54 AM
2012-04-27 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4176578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

ditchmedic - 2012-04-27 9:48 AM

The life guard came over to me mid set and reminded me to hold my ground cause the aquasizers with their floating apparatus like to get in 30 minutes early and float , er I mean warm up. Didn't have any trouble but it's good to know they are on my side.

This made me laugh. I can imagine the lifeguard, "Don't give up! You were here first! Don't take any s--- from them! They're just old ladies, you can take them!"

2012-04-27 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
We have one of those at my pool. We call her Overlane Lady because that's what she does. Across the pool going over each lane line. You never know when she'll be in your lane. She's the only person I've ever verbally confronted at the pool. My husband almost swam right into her. She got snippy about that too and said something like, "Lap swimmers need to look where they are going.". Awesome.

2012-04-27 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Just remember not to practice looking up for sighting while sharing the lane with old ladies doing aqua aerobics
2012-04-27 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
You would have been perfectly within your rights to ask her nicely to do it lengthwise rather than across.  I bet she had no idea she was causing a problem (which doesn't excuse it).
2012-04-27 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush

Had 2 women jump in my lane once and start water walking side by side.  I politely asked them to circle and they refused.  So the first time I went o go around the one in the middle of the pool got hit in the back of the head with my hand (not on purpose).  Yes i stopped and apologized...  She got out and proceded to tell the life guard.  I picked my head out the water just in time to hear the guard say "well he did ask you to circle"

2012-04-27 12:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am so proud of myself.

I went to a pool that I rarely go to. There was a large number of people there doing all sorts of crazy stuff, getting into and out of lanes without warning. Bringing their kids into lanes where people were doing laps. Walking backwards! in the lap lanes right into swimmers.

I am, shockingly, in a lane by myself (for all of three minutes). A guy politely asks to share the lane and we agree to side by side, not circle. This works out well because my pace is about 2 x faster than his pace. This lasts for 5 minutes or so until a third guy asks to share as well. We agree this is appropriate and now have to circle. Well, guy number one is taking about 4:00/100 (well within his rights), guy number two is taking about 4:20/100 and doing the full lane occupy breast stroke......but about every 50 yards he stops and talks to his wife, who has also stopped in the lane next to us. So there they stand for about 2-4 minutes, chatting away at the end of their respective lanes. Guy number two and I continue circle swimming, very incompatibly because of our varying paces and every once in awhile guy number three hops in and swims 50 just to keep the circle swim agreement valid. Could guy number three and his wife not have talked when they got home that night? Obviously neither one of them realized the SNAFU they were creating by forcing their lane mates to circle.

I am proud because, in spite of less than ideal lane mates, I was totally civil and got in a great swim. While we were not compatible and I think the lifeguards were absolutely falling down on the job by not doing something about the complete chaos at this pool, we all still managed to get along. It was a lesson in civility for me.

Just sharing my less than ideal recent swim. I sympathize with you all on the obstacles we must overcome to get in some pool time. To the OP, nice job keeping your cool and just making it work.
2012-04-27 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
I feel your annoyance too.
I swam the other Saturday am and towards the end of my set two ladies decided that as the aquazumba silliness was starting and the family pool was a wash with prune rinses, they would just hop into the lane pool.
All the lanes has swimmers/walkers/plonkers in them and we were the closest one to the floatathon.
I was finishing my 100's on 1:50 which is a hard swim for me to leave about 10s rest.
Once I pushed off they would take up the last 5m of the lane (2 wide) and water jog. 2nd 100 of this, I was slowing down to turn in the 8" space they left and One of them moved in front of me to stop me and complained that I was splashing and got her hair wet!
I replied well why not join the class then? this is the lap pool.
My 10s rest was already up so I swam off. At the other end, the swimmer in the next lane was patting the water and I stopped and she said she was going so I could use that lane. I thanked her and moved over.
I couldn't help my self but be a little extra splashy with the flip turns from the on...

I was happy to share, it's natural to want to get along with people, but If you don't want your hairdo to get wet don't get in the pool!

2012-04-27 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Miles around Midtown - 2012-04-27 7:41 AM

To get this out of the way, no, I didn't say anything to her or ask her to move. 1. I had seen her limping in the locker room, so obviously she does have an issue and I felt bad for her, especially having recently healed from an injury myself; 2. I correctly figured she would not be in the pool long; and 3. it was a tight fit but yes, there was room for both of us.

But as soon as I saw her trying to get in the family pool, which is 10 degrees warmer but doesn't open until 8 a.m. (the lifeguard stopped her, of course), I knew, just KNEW, that this little old lady was going to get in my lane. I'm usually the only woman there that early, so maybe she figured I wouldn't give her a hard time??? She tried to chat me up about how cold the water was (I'm trying to do my laps, but thanks) and then started doing this kicking/stretching motion ACROSS the lane. If she would have hung on to the rear wall of the pool I would have hardly noticed she was there.

Oh well, I just swam around her, and she was gone in about 20 minutes, just like I predicted. I'll have to swim around other people during triathlons, so this could be considered specialized training, right?

This is how I have started to look at things.  There was an older lady breast stroking in the pool the other morning.  There were 3 others (incl me) in the lane, labelled medium speed.  I didn't time her, but I suspect she was running about 5:00/100.  The pool was set up at 50m and I lapped her no less than 4 times.  I was only in the pool for about 40 minutes and I do not swim quickly...Thought about asking her to move over to the leisure lane, but then figured it was just good practice.  Glass half full, right? Laughing

2012-04-27 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I finally get to add a story like this (so far I've been unbelievably lucky with lane mates!).  Down in Florida visiting and went to an outdoor pool I've obviously never been to before.  Had the only lap lane to myself until a guy asks to join and jumps in.  He proceeds to do his laps right down the middle of the lane and bumps me numerous times.  I tried to get over as much as possible when he approached and hit my hand and/or feet on the lane divider numerous times trying to avoid him.  He never said anything and neither did I.  Figured all of the contact was good tri/OWS full contact practice!  I do wonder what he thought about all the contact - did he somehow think I was to blame?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's a new one -- lady does her PT exercises ACROSS my lane Rss Feed