velocomp - 2006-05-25 10:05 AM
mikericci - 2006-05-25 10:08 AM
cevans - 2006-05-25 8:56 AM
mikericci - 2006-05-24 11:25 PM

if you have 4 days to ride here is how i would structure it:

1 long day - low Z2 - 2 hours
1 medium day - high Z2 - 1 hour
1 short day - may 30-45' with 8x1' all out - with complete recovery
1 tempo day - say 10' wu, then 20' at race effort - then right into your brick...2 miles at race effort.

I hope this helps! Also, you can sub some hill repeats (standing) for the 8x1' all out. So the same number, lots of recovery on these workouts and make sure you go VERY easy the next day, your legs will be trashed.

For three days a week, should I combine/alternate tempo and short day? Or should I losse the medium day? Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't combine them - but I would alternate them. Remember 3x per week in anything is only maintenance. It takes 4-5x per week to improve. Just an FYI.

Not to disagree Mike... But I disagree with your last statement. If one was only riding 3x per week they would only be maintaining, but if ther person is also running and swimming, etc. they are improving cardiovascular fitness and strengh. Since they will be increasing strength through the other activities, they can successfully build their level of cycling fitness and will benefit from the side work, so they can increase their cycling duration/intensity/speed over time and not just maintiain Cycling only 3x per week. Again this is as long as they are "Working Out" more than 3 days per week.

>>First of all - that is a direct quote from Jack Daniels. So - you can take that up with him. :-) I agree with him 100% and here is a good example: All winter I worked hard on my swim, dropping my pace down a bit. I was swimming 4-5x per week. I did a 1k TT a few weeks ago - same exact time as Mid Feb - and since mid Feb, I have been swimming 3x per week. so, 3x per week only got me to maintain, not 1 second faster. I understand what you are saying, and you are right to an extent. Aerobic conditioning is aerobic conditioning. You can jump up and down for 3 hours and get aerobic benefit. BUT, if you want to become a better runner, you need to run more than 3x per week. Same for the bike and swim too. Something us coaches call "specificity". 

2006-05-25 12:30 PM
in reply to: #434169

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Trouble with speed work
mikericci - 2006-05-25 12:07 PM
jszat - 2006-05-25 10:02 AM
it's a balancing act for sure, and you have to prioritize your life, no doubt about it. Longer days will help, but you will plateau at some point. Then you need to work in the other components: LT work and race specific riding.

I generally go with one long session, one moderate and one tempo or interval session in the run but usually will do hill repeats or flats instead of the tempo work on the work.

>>>Is this all on the run? your reply was a little confusing.

I see what you are saying how the gains come slower the longer you are in the sport but  many beginners could actually do more harm than good working each sport 4-5 times a week. 

>>Not if the intensity is low and the duration is like 10-20' for the run and 30-45' for the run. The MORE you do something, the BETTER you get at it.

Does it sound like there is sufficient bike base in this case?  Not trying to be a pain, just curious.

>>I have no idea of your goals, when your A race is, what your background is etc. if you give me that AND what you are currently doing I could take a better stab at it.

Yikes.  That is what I get for trying to type and work at the same time.  I meant run is typically 3 sessions per week: one long, one moderate (maybe some intervals), one tempo.  I generally get the benefits of hills wherever I go around here too.

On the bike, I substitute tempo work for hills vs flats, though I do rides at different intensities as well.  So typical week would be 1 long base ride, 1 up tempo ride or hill day, 1 moderate or recovery ride depending on how tough a week it was.

The question on the base work was actually for the criteria supplied by the gentleman who started the thread, implying that 'ride lots' might be a better suggestion at this time as base work should come before throwing in the tempo stuff.

If more is better in this sport, where do you feel is the point of diminishing returns where a beginner is risking injury versus shaving a few second off there time is basically what I am asking overall.  I could be that I am doing not enough zone 1 and 2 stuff where I feel that 4-5 times per sport could lead to injury.

2006-05-25 12:44 PM
in reply to: #434197

User image

Boulder, Colorado

If more is better in this sport, where do you feel is the point of diminishing returns where a beginner is risking injury versus shaving a few second off there time is basically what I am asking overall.  I could be that I am doing not enough zone 1 and 2 stuff where I feel that 4-5 times per sport could lead to injury.

>>>First, I don't think more is better. Never have. The point of diminishing returns is different for everybody. And I don't mean riding a 5x a week to shave off a few seconds, that wouldn't be worth it. What I AM suggesting, b/c I see it ALL the time, just scanning the training logs, is the inconsistency in most training logs. Keeping the effort in Z1-2, watching your recovery, and getting enough sleep each night will do WONDERS for 95% of the people on this website. The LT work and all that is fine, but it's really only 5% of the training, and in reality, you have a lot more to lose then to gain by doing it. A pulled muscle or something will set you back for weeks, but keeping consistent and adding the appropriate amount of intensity will lead you to improvement. Getting rest after these tougher workouts, eating RIGHT, etc will go much further in helping you get faster over a longer period of time.

2006-05-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #433801

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
Left that HRM at home, It's holding you... and ride longer, faster and harder!!!!
2006-05-25 12:52 PM
in reply to: #434184

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
One thing to remember is that as a "Beginner", a person has more room to improve. And you do benefit from your other activities. For instance... You burn calories. Well if you lose weight it helps your bike and run as your not carrying as much weight. Your cardiovascular endurance increases. So you may be able to run further because of your breathing control you've learned from swimming or your stamina from cycling. All the things you do increase your fitness which helps with specific exercises. Otherwise why would core strength training help you for cycling. Because all the exercises share muscles especially as you get away from the major muscle and look at the support muscles that are involved in major movements.

I understand there are many views on this. And I understand your point of view from your fitness level, but someone trying to improve can improve working out 5 days a week but only doing each specific exercise 3x. I rode the triple bypass last year training for the most part only 3 days per week on the bike. I did swim and run a lot as well since I was competing in tris at the same time. But I never would have been able to do the Triple early in the season. I improved throughout the year.
2006-05-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: #434228

User image

Boulder, Colorado

velocomp - 2006-05-25 10:52 AM One thing to remember is that as a "Beginner", a person has more room to improve. And you do benefit from your other activities. For instance... You burn calories. Well if you lose weight it helps your bike and run as your not carrying as much weight. Your cardiovascular endurance increases. So you may be able to run further because of your breathing control you've learned from swimming or your stamina from cycling. All the things you do increase your fitness which helps with specific exercises. Otherwise why would core strength training help you for cycling. Because all the exercises share muscles especially as you get away from the major muscle and look at the support muscles that are involved in major movements. I understand there are many views on this. And I understand your point of view from your fitness level, but someone trying to improve can improve working out 5 days a week but only doing each specific exercise 3x. I rode the triple bypass last year training for the most part only 3 days per week on the bike. I did swim and run a lot as well since I was competing in tris at the same time. But I never would have been able to do the Triple early in the season. I improved throughout the year.

All great points, I agree.

2006-05-25 12:56 PM
in reply to: #434213

Columbus, OH
mikericci - 2006-05-25 1:44 AM

Keeping the effort in Z1-2, watching your recovery, and getting enough sleep each night will do WONDERS for 95% of the people on this website. The LT work and all that is fine, but it's really only 5% of the training, and in reality, you have a lot more to lose then to gain by doing it. A pulled muscle or something will set you back for weeks, but keeping consistent and adding the appropriate amount of intensity will lead you to improvement. Getting rest after these tougher workouts, eating RIGHT, etc will go much further in helping you get faster over a longer period of time.

OP here. Maybe I don't need the LT work at this stage, then. Adding in another bike day, maybe a brick, and keep building my mileage will help my speed more than short term LT work would. As my endurance increases with the higher mileage, my speed should increase in teh same zone.

Hmm, lots to think about.
2006-05-25 1:17 PM
in reply to: #434140

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
mikericci - 2006-05-25 11:47 AM

Really? Flat course? Sounds pretty cool!

Fairly flat, this is how the RD describes the course:  The course is flat compared to most marathons, with a few short steep hills and one half mile incline.  The course follows a shallow river bottom, which results in the hills.   The course is not as flat as the Chicago Marathon. It is significantly flatter than Portland, Nashville, Marine Corps, Dallas and Amarillo. It is similar to Cleveland and Detroit.

I like how they use other marys as reference, especially since I've done Chicago, Nashville, and MC. Lets me know that the hills will be tolerable. My bigger concern is the temps, it may be Indiana but it's still June. A lot of my goal pace depends on how far into the 70s temps will get by the time I'm supposed to finish.

2006-05-25 1:27 PM
in reply to: #434272

User image

Boulder, Colorado
the bear - 2006-05-25 11:17 AM
mikericci - 2006-05-25 11:47 AM

Really? Flat course? Sounds pretty cool!

Fairly flat, this is how the RD describes the course:  The course is flat compared to most marathons, with a few short steep hills and one half mile incline.  The course follows a shallow river bottom, which results in the hills.   The course is not as flat as the Chicago Marathon. It is significantly flatter than Portland, Nashville, Marine Corps, Dallas and Amarillo. It is similar to Cleveland and Detroit.

I like how they use other marys as reference, especially since I've done Chicago, Nashville, and MC. Lets me know that the hills will be tolerable. My bigger concern is the temps, it may be Indiana but it's still June. A lot of my goal pace depends on how far into the 70s temps will get by the time I'm supposed to finish.

Mentioning the other races is a good reference point for sure. Good luck and stay cool!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble with speed work Rss Feed  

of 2