General Discussion Triathlon Talk » # of workouts per week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-25 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
Subject: # of workouts per week
I've been doing 4 run and 4 swim workouts per week, switching up speed work and slower distance training, and just recently added in the bike, and would ideally like to do 4 bike workouts in a week as well. That adds up to 12 workouts in 7 days, (haven't figured out days off yet), which is kicking my arse right now, and i'm just pooped all the time.

any advice on # of workouts per # of days? i feel like anything less than 4 each sport per week is just not enough to train with. my first sprint is in mid-June, but i'm really focusing on a later (possibly longer) race in august. i come from a background of years of running, so my body is used to training, but i've never done so many two a days.

one zero day per week feels like too much time off; should i just have one day of really easy workouts and call that my "zero" day?

2006-05-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: #434192

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: # of workouts per week

I'm in this for the fun of it, right now anyway - that's my disclaimer. Most training plans I've seen have 10 workouts per week - three days of swim/whatever, one day of bike/run, one day with a long slow distance run and one day with a LSD ride. If you're tired all the time, you're going to be crap come actual race day, and it's likely you won't stick with tri-ing in the long run.

My suggestion would be to ease back on your running and swimming to about three per week, and add in four bike days per week, since it looks like it's your weakest sport right now. And take a rest day. Your body has to have time to heal and build.

2006-05-25 12:57 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If you feel tired all the time, it's too much.  Either volume/intensity or some of each.

Given you have a running background, I'd definately drop a run.  Maybe even drop a swim a bit while you add in the bike.  As your training goes along, you may feel comfortable adding one or both of those back in.

Rest is the 4th training discipline of tri.  The right amount of rest is very individual.  But since you say you're tired all the time, I'd stick to a "zero" day for now as well.  As you go, you may feel comfortable doing an easy swim or spin on a recovery day but you need to make sure the quality of your other sessions is not suffering.  I like the zero day as much for the mental recharge as the physical rest.

2006-05-25 12:57 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
you have GOT to listen to your body. don't stick with any plan that's out there if you feel it's too much or not enough.

we're all highly individual. some of us can take more abuse, some less, some are built to sprint, some to do long distance.

you shouldn't listen to any advice unless that advice giver knows your physique.

if you're pooped all the time then you're overdoing it.
2006-05-25 1:16 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I typically do eight as well.

Mon. - rest day (completely)
Tues. - run morning, ride evening
Weds. - swim morning, ride evening
Thurs. - run morning
Fri. - swim morning
Sat. - long ride
Sun. - long run

But the last few weeks have been thrown off for various reasons, and now I'm in "taper" mode for my "A" race for the year, so ditching workouts is becoming more prevalent in an effort to suppress injuries and fully be ready for race day.
2006-05-25 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I shoot for 3 of each per week. One of the things I often struggle with is that "only" getting 3 workouts of each discipline per week, you're not likely to be in top shape in any of them. This is frustrating sometimes for me in swimming (my background) and I could see how it would be so for you in running, or really in any of the disciplines. Just do the best you can, and remember that you get some cross-training benefit from everything you do.

-Matt

2006-05-25 1:28 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Not counting riding the 10 "workouts" that I have riding my bike back and forth to work.

I do 2-3 runs, 1-2 swims, and 2-3 bike.
2006-05-25 2:12 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
This is a typical work out week for me.........BUT! When life gets in the way, don't sleep much or are just plain out of it, I take a break wherever I need it REGARDLESS! Sometimes I wind up taking 3 days off in a row then come back. If I'm still tired, it could be my allergies are just lingering, a cold is coming on or I just plain and simply need the rest.

You can make huge gains and come back much stronger by resting what your systems demands. Sure beats being walking around like a zombie all the time.

I doubt no two people have the same schedules. Do what works for you but make sure you get the rest you need!

Mon - AM swim PM bike
Tues - AM core PM Run
Wed - AM swim PM bike
Thurs - AM core PM Run
Fri - rest
Sat - Long bike
Sun - Long swim
2006-05-25 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I do 10 workouts per week....3 each of s/b/r and strength training...plus I take two rest days a week on normal weeks. Depends on the time of the year, in the winter I normally do 11 workouts a week as I do strength twice a week, but my long bike are gone then instead shorter trainer rides.

M:Rest
T: bike intervals/swim intervals
W:strength/run intervals
Th:bike hills/swim
F: Rest
S: long run/bike intervals
S: long bike/run brick, swim intervals or long

When I started doing more workouts and hardly ever missing, I started improving faster. My last sprint tri I improved just over 16 minutes from last year...so it is working for me. When I started doing more it was hard at first to get it all in as I work full time and have 5 kids 7-17...but now it clicks most of the time.

Edited by KathyG 2006-05-25 2:23 PM
2006-05-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #434291

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Definitly if you are tired you are overdoing it. I just started a 16 week program doing 3xrun, 2x swim, 2x bike, 2x weights, plus I ride my horse 3x per week (I ride competitivly so this is much more of a workout then just a trail ride). Plus full time job, married, chores, etc. I was exhausted all the time. I am used to training and have a decent base, but I'm not used to that much training.

I overdid it and got sick, I am just getting over a cold. It has so far sucked the life out of me for 4 days. I have been forced to take a week off to let my body recover. I will go back into it and cut out a swim and a bike as I am strong in those disciplines. Then as my body gets used to the training I will add them back in. Luckily I still have 12 weeks left to train. I am doing a sprint, it will be my first tri.

So listen to your body and take a day off or change your program so you aren't so tired until you get a better base under you. Then add the workouts back in as you start to feel more used to the amount of training you are doing.
2006-05-25 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA

My work outs usually follow this routine:

Monday - Spin @ Lunch and Swim in evening (OWS)
Tuesday - Run at lunch and bike in evening
Wednesday - Spin @ lunch and Swim in evening (ows)
Thursday - Run @ Lunch
Friday - (varies as off day some times I bike or swim in evening)
Saturday - Long Run
Sunday - Long Ride (sometimes a brick)

I always try to listen to my body.  I try not to go 7 days straight but sometimes I do. 

2006-05-25 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, I just added up my new schedule from my coach and it's at 15 workouts per week, if you include weight lifting 5 days a week.

I do weights 5 days a week
Run 4 days per week
Ride 3 days per week
Swim 3 days per week.

I don't have a day that I'm not doing something. So far I feel fine, but we'll see if it catches up with me.
2006-05-25 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
this next question kind of stems from all the replies (thank you for them):

when doing two workouts a day, what two sports do you typically mix together? i've been mixing running and biking on the same days and leaving swimming its own day, so maybe not pairing running and biking (except a weekly brick) would make a difference...biking is by far my weakness (i just started riding a schwinn nicknamed the "bingo bike" because my friend won it from bingo about 10 years ago, so that tells you the extent of my cycling gear), so maybe leaving biking to its own day would be a good idea?
2006-05-25 3:11 PM
in reply to: #434390

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
you should pair a low impact with a high impact workout.

mix run/swim or bike/swim. swimming is really good for recovery.
2006-05-25 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA

I definitly agree with Awol.  I would do the same but schedule does not permit.

but a swim as a second workout is great.  low impact and it actually feels good on the muscles used on previous workout. 

2006-05-25 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
How did you work your way up to 12 workouts a week? Part off the reason you are so tried could have something to do with overstressing your body by adding too much time/intensity at once. You should try to apply the 10% rule when stepping up your workout routine. Shoot for no more than a 10% increase in total workout time a week. So when adding a session on the bike, balance that out by cutting back on the duration of your run or swim. Then you can add the time back in until the next "step". Whenever I don't follow that guideline I find I get the Blahs or worse, an injury.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » # of workouts per week Rss Feed