General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first time! (you know what I mean) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2003-11-17 3:26 PM

Newport Beach, CA
Subject: My first time! (you know what I mean)
I completed my first sprint distance triathlon Nov. 8th on Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California (www.pacificsportsllc.com).

Beautiful venue for the event. The tri crowd took the island over. Here's the links to my race photos:

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=2436&PWD=&BIB...

For training, I did 5 weeks of the sprint program on this site. Beacuse of my condensed time frame, I chose to do the 5 hardest weeks in the program. Often times I would sub bike rides for spinning class at the gym. Also, I maintained the weight program on the site during my training and plan to keep that going as long as I am training. Weights work for me. I like them, so why quit, right? For swimming, I would do freestyle and say to myself, "your feet aren't touching anything but the sides of the pool for the next 25 minutes - regardless of speed". I never really worried about distance, just time with everything. I figured that as long as I was exceeding the sprint distances, everything would be cool on race day. I definitely got a serious boost from the environment.

First, I want to say THANK YOU to the beginnertriathlete site for all of the advice. I had absolutely no idea what to expect on race day. Also, for anyone who wants to get into the sport, tracking your workouts is an absolute must. By keeping tabs on myself, I was able to approach my workouts in a far more structured manner. But all of that went out of the window when I got off the ferry and mixed in with the 700 other participants. I grabbed my goodie bag and t-shirt, got "marked", and fumbled over to my wave group. I was extreemly pleased to overhear a number of other participants in my 25-29 age group saying, "yeah this is my first one too". About 5 of us immediatly bonded in ingorance. I hung around for about 30 minutes, nervously straigthtening my transition area and checking my gear. I took a chocolate "Gu" shot too. Stay away from the chocolate ones. Nasty!

The swim: (0:12:10 / 0.5 miles / #169 overall) I was comfortable during the swim being a former water polo player. The water felt ice cold at 66 degrees. I was one of the few guys in my wave without a wetsuit. But not the only one, to my relief. This inspired me. I though, watch me woop up on these fancy wetsuit guys. Wooped some, ate wake with others. Good enough. With swimming, I can't hear anything or see very much. So I easly retreated into the "zone" and just kept swinging one arm in front of the other. I'd look up every twenty strokes or so to make sure I was swimming a straight course for an object (either a bouy or, on the last leg, the transition enterance).

T1: (0:2:36) Already in my shorts, I threw the top on, grabbed the bike helmet, got the shoes and socks on, grabbed the book, and hauled ass in the wrong direction for a second! I figured it out when I saw the writing (a big yellow arrow pointing in the opposite direction and the word "BIKE" written underneath it). I finally figured it all out and got on my way. My arms and hands lacked some dextarity, but all in all I was ready to start cruising on the bike.

Bike: (0:44:27 / 10 miles / #126 overall)) The bike was a massive uphill climb with 3 false peaks before the true peak followed by a long windy downhill spilling out into a half-mile flat. The course was around 3 miles and we gave it 3 laps. I just got a new road bike (Specialized Allez Comp '04) and love it, but have little to no road bike experience. The climb with the double chain ring was tough, but I fought it out and did fine. I also had that nice saltwater taste in my mouth, which made me feel a little tough. Laps 2 and 3 felt better than 1 because I was warmed up and knew the course. However, laps 2 and 3 were a bit of a mosh pit with so many riders bottlenecking around the climbing turns. Sometimes I would find myself sitting back following someone else's tire. Bad habit. Reminder: Know the course so you don't have to hold back anywhere or even think about where to go. Every time I had to think, I broke my stride and consequently felt a little "off" for a while.

T2 (0:1:46) Honestly, I don't even remember being there. I was a bit numb at the time!

The run: (0:27:31 / 3.1 miles / #392 overall) YIKES!!! Let's see here, #169 of nearly 700 on the swim, #128 on the bike, and what, #392 on the run??? What happened? It's called running out of gas! about a half mile into the run, I cramped up a little. The run was a 1.5 mile slight uphill grade, turnaround, and 1.5 mile slight downhill grade to the finish. I sucked. Basically, I was speed walking compared to my normal workouts. Lots of BRICKS for me in the next few months. At one point a runner passing me on home streach noticed that I was sticking my fingers in my gut trying to massage out the cramp while running. He yells out, "RUN THROUGH IT, YOU'RE ALMOST THERE". I can't tell you how much that helped. Come to think, people were encouraging one another all over the course. I did it too. A guy passed me on the same bike and said, "nice bike" as he passed. Jokingly, I responded, "yeah, but why does yours go faster than mine?". I then said, "you better not let me catch you!"

The finish: (1:28:30 / 25 of 53 in my age group / 169 overall) I was practically in tears, and bananas and powerbars never tasted so good. Best feeling I've had in a LONG, LONG time. The tri bug definitely bit me. Seriously folks, I'm even writing on random internet forums. What's happening to me???

My goal is to move up from 1:28:30 to a 1:20 (1 hour flat wins the entire thing!). Agressive, but I think it can be done. I just need 1 minute from the swim, 4 minutes from the ride, and 3 minutes from the run. Running will always be my weak spot, but it is definitely the "root" of tris. Running will help my riding, but riding won't help my running as much. I'm OK on the swim, so it I guess I had better start liking the run (which I currently LOATHE).

-Adam

2003-11-17 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1815

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: My first time! (you know what I mean)

dude!!! great!!! sweeeet RR!  u looked pumped up in the pics.

run, run, run...(trust me...u will LUV it!..after a certain degree of suffering..hehe )

2003-11-17 4:09 PM

Newport Beach, CA
Yeah, I thought I'd put on a pound or two and go in as a Clydesdale, but then I saw the race times and realized that I'd still get smoked!!! My next goal is the Wildflower Tri (sprint or Olympic, still undecided) this spring.

Running more is going to be imperative to my sucess. Sounds easy, but I fear the worst. I've never been a good runner. Even when I was a kid and we had to do the mile run in gym class, I stunk. I'm a decent athelete, just not fast. I'd really like to be a better runner but I typically go into "cruise control" when I'm running alone. This winter I am going to try to find a running club to run with so that I can push myself a bit harder. Niketown here in Newport has one, but I'm afraid they are going to try to sell me stuff every time I show up.

If anyone knows a good beginner to intermediate running group in/around Newport Beach, CA, please give me a shout.

-Adam
2003-11-17 6:38 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Congrats on a great race and an excellent race report! Keep up the good work!
Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-17 10:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-11-18 5:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Dude, great RR....I have been looking forward to reading some of these reports from people. After reading that I am psyched for my workout later. Great Job and congratulations !!!!

2003-11-18 7:24 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks fro the great rr. I was glad to see someone not in speedo! I'm not sure I can talk myself into wearing one :-) You should be proud of your first race! I believe you can learn to love running. I never ran more than 2 miles before this summer. My chest always felt like it was exploding :-O Now I love running. I love getting in that zone and being alone with my thoughts. So keep faith, you can grow to love it! Thanks again for the great rr.
2003-11-18 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Speaking of speedo. I don't think I could ever see myself in one either. However I purchased some running/biking 'tights' to keep me warm until the snow falls. I put them on for my ride on Sunday and my 4 yr old son asked me..." Dad, are those ballerina pants?" My wife had a very good laugh at that one and of course told all her teacher friends on Monday morning. I on the other hand got the opportunity to talk to him some more about what I am doing. He already asks me if I am going to swim practice. He is great motivation. If he sees his Dad exercising regularly it can only instill that mind set at an early age.
But swimming in a speedo? Maybe the longer short tight swimwhere but not the short short one.
2003-11-18 9:22 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I think the closest I will come is maybe a tri suit that can be used for all three events. I haven't looked into it enough yet though.
2003-11-18 9:49 AM

Newport Beach, CA
About the infamous Speedo - Just show up to the swim with an extra long pair of tube socks stuffed up front and watch the other participants shy away with their tails between their legs! You'll be the king of the beach.

No seriously, I have checked out those bike short/swim trunk hybrid pants (some on "clearance" at tri-sports.com or tri-zone.com I think) and they would make sense on a longer course. But for a sprint, any shorts will do. I'm not at the point where I freak out about drag coefficients yet. So a little fabric flapping around will make virtually no difference in my time or ability to finish a race. However, I did buy some techno-fabric clothing (Nike Dri-Fit I believe, it's kind of stretchy and lycra-like) because once my t-shirt got soaked, it was causing some chaffing and felt like it was weighing me down a bit. I'd definitely suggest picking up a high tech running top and shorts.

Another thing - I'm almost 200 lbs. and kept being cheap about running shoes, using old and worn out shoes that I've had for years. Of all of the equipment I bought (and it has not been cheap getting started), the best investment I've made hands down is a good pair of running shoes. The extra cushion makes a world of difference the next day. No more sore knees and back. Before anything else, make sure you have fairly new shoes to run in and don't use them for anything but running.

But after the shoes, it's been all about staying determined and setting goals one month at a time. OK, back to work!

2003-11-18 10:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey Eightman,
Did you use the same shorts for all three events or did you change into dry running/biking shorts?

2003-11-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1844

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
That's pretty funny about the socks! I have already bought a number of running shirts and shorts with the dri-fit fabric. They seldom stay very wet even when I sweat a lot. They breathe very well.

You are absolutely correct about the shoes. I am ~190lbs also and had to buy new shoes when started running. I had basic Nike Airs and my knees would hurt and it would take almost a mile for my knees to warmup and feel comfortable when running. I went to a running store and had my running anaylyed for the proper shoes. I bought the Brooks Beast and love them. My knees seldom bother me anymore after the first run! I beleive they are made for heavier people.
2003-11-18 11:20 AM

Newport Beach, CA
I used the same shorts for all three events. Changing shorts at the transition area would have been, well, awkward with everyone watching. The shorts were your basic lined running shorts. They were fine. 2 minutes on the bike and they were thoroughly air dried. No padding in them, but like I said - 10 miles on a bike seat is no problem, especially because I was standing up part of the time on the climb. I don't plan to use anything else on my next sprint. I might get some of those tri-specific shorts for all 3 events, but I'd be doing it to be a techno weenie, gear freak moreso than for performance enhancement.

-Adam
2003-11-18 11:30 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
thanks for the info on the shorts Adam. I have a friend who has done a ton of tris up through ironman and says that some people spend a fortune to have all the latest techno gadgets :-) I might want some padding for the olympic distance though!
2003-11-18 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1849

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks for the info on the shorts. I didn't really want to worry about changing either. I just wasn't sure how to work the swim/bike transition being wet. Lined shorts sound great.
2003-11-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1853

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Giddy up Eightman, good race. Rio I use an ORCA Tri suit, they dont cost a fortune, and you dont have to change, might be worth a look

www.orca.com

Craig

2003-11-18 7:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks, I will check into those. I'm not too worried about clothing yet. Not drowning is my main concern but I have lots of time to prepare. My first Tri is going to be in June I believe.....if I can wait that long. ;-)
2003-11-18 7:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Craig O,
I checked out that site and it is pretty cool. I do have a question......For the races that do not allow a wetsuit, is the tri-suit allowable. It may seem like a silly question but I really don't know. I would hate to have one and find out that it wasn't allowable on race day. I see they have a seperate section on wetsuits.
Thanks for the info and link.
2003-11-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1862

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I'm not a 100% sure, but I believe the tri suits are like a thinner version of cylcling shorts that allow you to run and swim. Since you don't want to insulate your body during bike and run, I doubt it would be classified as a wet suit. I would check with race director ahead of time to be sure.
2003-11-19 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1862

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Mate the tri-suit is non boyant. Its just like your normal tri top but all in one. Its the bomb, and you dont have to risk flashing ya arse during transition, or getting a wedgie on the bike. The wet suits are the goods, a mate of mine has one, Im just saving the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to buy one, we dont have the joy of the green back! I also brought my training top from ORCA and cannot fault it

Craig

Thought for the day "No question is a silly question" ;-)
2003-12-05 9:23 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Reading about this experience is something I can use in preparation for my first triathlon. Thank you.

Nice to see a few bigger guys around. I'm 6'3 200, which ain't 'xactly haaayooge or nuthin, but seems to be bigger than the average triathlete.

2003-12-07 5:00 AM
in reply to: #1819

New user

Nowra, Australia
Ummmm, where I come from a 'Clydesdale' is a big horse, what is a Clydesdale where you guys come from???????
2004-02-24 11:33 AM

Hammond, La

a note about tri shorts: I just bought two pair of Louis Garneau tri shorts and I love them, I have used them in spin and swim and running in them and I must say I am surprised. I am very comfortable in them, I find the legs a little short for riding the bike though.

NOGILLS

2004-02-24 1:33 PM

, Alabama

What a great race report, Eightman.  Tri's are a great bug to catch.  But be careful.  It's contagious!

Sharon

2004-02-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1819

Master
Berkeley, CA
Great race! Congratulations. I know what you mean about the shoes though. I'm on the large side and just did a marathon in December with pretty cheap shoes. Big regrets!!

Eightman - 2003-11-17 12:09 PM

My next goal is the Wildflower Tri (sprint or Olympic, still undecided) this spring

As to the Wildflower tri, this will be my second year doing it. (You are talking about the one in central California at Lake San Antonio, right?) It's a blast!!! If you decide to come, you should let me know. But I must say that the 'sprint' distance is a mountain bike course... and they really, really mean it! So for road races, they have Olympic and a 1/2 Iron Man (or long) course. The race is so popular and they have to keep it small as the only accommodations are camping, that the race fills up in a day!! So if you haven't already registered, you may not be able to go. The only loop hole is that they have a relay event also. My friend went as a relay team (and he called himself 'Just Mike') and did all three legs himself. He was able to sign up later, because the relay events don't fill up nearly as fast. Of course he didn't finish with a good time compared to the other relay teams, but if you are just looking at your own times and going for the experience, it works.

If you can't get in this year, definitely do it the next!! Registration opens in December (I think).

Welcome to the wacky world of triathlons!!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first time! (you know what I mean) Rss Feed  

of 1