General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Q: maximizing base for late-season HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-02 2:00 PM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: Training Q: maximizing base for late-season HIM

I just completed my first HIM 2 weeks ago and was beyond thrilled with my race-day performance and experience. I've decided to do my 2nd in October, which gives me an almost full training period between.

Of course I already have a goal time in mind, and would love to improve over my 1st race. What advice would you give for maximizing my current base when I essentially have a full training program ahead?

Thanks in advance!

2012-05-02 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4186553

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Training Q: maximizing base for late-season HIM
Congrats on your first HIM finish!  I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  If you want to maximize (and build off) your current base, keep training consistently.  Gradually build your load (adding some combination of volume and/or intensity). What did you do to prepare for your first?
2012-05-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4186553

User image

I started my season with a March HIM, and will end it with a Sept HIM.  I am just doing whatever I want in April/May training-wise, then will start a progression of races to keep me motivated.  Sprint early June, Oly late June, weird alost half distance Aug, HIM Sept.  With some swims and aquathons mixed in here and there.
2012-05-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4186626

User image

Philadelphia

JohnnyKay - 2012-05-02 3:21 PM Congrats on your first HIM finish!  I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  If you want to maximize (and build off) your current base, keep training consistently.  Gradually build your load (adding some combination of volume and/or intensity). What did you do to prepare for your first?

Thank you! You answered my Q, but now I have more! I didn't want to start at Week 1 on the same or similar plan I used for my first, but I'm not sure how to tailor the load to an existing base. 

I followed a TriFuel Intermediate plan with little variance and really enjoyed the program. I estimated my time would be around 6:12 and was absolutely thrilled with my 6:02. Of course, you know I'm gunning for that <6 now. *what's up, Type A!

I have lots of room to improve on my bike, so would like to do more strength training and spin classes to get stronger. I'm thinking that I continue somewhere in the middle of the quantity of the program and focus on intensity/strength?

Thank you again.

2012-05-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4186743

Veteran

First....congrats on the excellent time in your first HIM!!!

I would suggest that you drop back on your distances to 75% of your longest distances done during your training and stay there while you start focusing on your weaknesses and speed.  You say that you have room to improve the bike, so start there.  Lots of high intesity work on the bike.  Also, add one interval session each week to your runs (if you are not already doing them).  Twelve weeks out from the Oct race, start increasing your distances so that your longest runs/bikes are 20% longer than during your previous training.  You will own 5:45!!!!!

2012-05-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4186743

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You probably won't want to start at week 1 as most generic plans typically have a sort-of 'prep' phase to try to make sure an athlete is ready to tackle the 'main' plan (although I don't know the details of the plan you used).  This phase is really unnecessary if you come into the plan already training at an active level.

If you want to focus on the bike, then riding more and/or harder is a good way to do it.  Strength training isn't necessary for the kind of bike improvements you are interested in.  I would focus more effort on riding hard (whether in spin class or on your own bike) and keeping up with some reasonably long rides.  Choosing the appropriate amount of volume ('quantity') will simply depend on where you are comfortable (from both a fitness and time available perspective).  The 'middle' or 'down 25%' might be reasonable places to consider.  Or they could be too much or too little.  You want your training to push you and be challenging, but not burn you out.  It's a balance that you sort of have to find on your own, especially if you don't have a coach to help you.  There are many ways to structure the specifcs and it's hard to give you much guidance without knowing more about your training and your schedule.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Q: maximizing base for late-season HIM Rss Feed