General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-04 7:01 PM

User image

Subject: Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin)

I've never used the virtual partner feature, but it sounds like something cool to use for my HIM coming up.  I did the race last year, and have the bike course saved in a garmin file, ready to load back to my 500.  I won't have a chance to test the course until race day as I need to travel.

I would still race by my normal metrics, but over the course of 56 miles, I think it would be cool to see how I was doing compared to last year.

One thing I read though is that once you start the virtual partner, you can't turn it off.  So I was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about.  It says that if you go off course, a message will be displayed.  The last thing I want though is a "off course" message every 2 minutes that I can't turn off.  (ETA: I confirmed that the bike course is exactly the same as last year)

I'm guessing it would work well since the auto lap by position has worked well for me, but just wanted to hear what others may have experienced. 

I'll probably test this out with a short loop around my neighborhood.

Edited by tri808 2012-05-04 7:03 PM

2012-05-05 1:52 AM
in reply to: #4191662

Subject: RE: Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin)

Not sure about yours but I use mine sometimes on my 310xt.  I pick a bike speed I woudl like to average over a time and start it.  Since it scrolls its a quick way to see how I am doing.

2012-05-05 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4191662

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin)
Jason - I use mine on the 800 sometimes for just that purpose. On the 800 you can turn off "off course warnings." if you go off course and then get back on, it just gives a message that it is "recalculating virtual partner" If I recall correctly. I think you can stop the course without sitting the file on the 800 - but not 100% sure if that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin) Rss Feed