General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yelling at a Cyclist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-05-09 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Subject: Yelling at a Cyclist

So my husband and I were talking about the dumba@@ things that other cyclists do.  You know the ones who give motorists a reason to hate cyclists.  You know the ones, breezing through stop signs, riding 2 across in the roadway going uphill with a line of cars behind them, those that cut off motorists.  

Do you ever get the urge, or have yelled at them?  

I had another cyclist coming towards me in the bike lane riding against traffic.  He almost made me crash, because he looked like he was going to take the inside and then swerved to the outside lane at the last minute.  It was like he was playing chicken with me or something.  I found myself yelling at him, which I wouldn't normally do, but that peeved me so bad.  

I have met many a Numptyhead cyclist, but I have heard things come out of my mouth now I never thought I would say.  

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-05-09 8:56 AM

2012-05-09 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4199374

User image

Subject: RE: Yelling at a Cyclist
No. I also know from the cyclists point of view that even should something make me want to yell, the cyclist most likely won't be able to understand unless we're both standing still.

2012-05-09 9:02 AM

I yell at cars mostly
2012-05-09 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I was tempted to do this on Sunday, but did not. I was at a stop light on a fairly busy road when 2 riders rode straight through the light w/o any hesitation, and cut across the path of 2 cars going the other way. It was exactly the kind of crap that makes drivers despise bike riders. I wanted to give them a big wtf and tell them they're not making life any easier for other cyclists. And tell them they are idiots .
2012-05-09 9:06 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

One of my favorite BTers' husband told me once... there are "cyclists" and there are "dudes on bikes." Big difference. 

If it was truly a "cyclist" I might have said something if given the opportunity at a stoplight or something. But just a "dude on a bike" nope. Maybe "traffic goes this way" or something, but not worth it to start an argument.

Edited by lisac957 2012-05-09 9:06 AM
2012-05-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4199384

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

I've done worse.  My wife and I were walking across a cross walk to go surf and these two lunatics just blow through the stop sign (as in, full on racing mode) and almost hit her (by almost I mean she moved her board just in time out of their way, but was almost knocked over by the momentum).  I turn into a full on caveman and take off after them.  Somehow there is a rock in my hand and I chuck it at them.  Completely miss but it got one of the guy's attention.  He and his buddy turn around (we were across the street by the time they got back, obviously).

Cyclist comes up to me and says "WTF?  Why are you throwing rocks?  You can get us killed!"  I flip out and start screaming at him incoherently (I'm sure) - as I'm boiling over with rage and ready to hulk up on these two .  Then an officer on a motorcycle pulls up (I thought it was due to me making a scene) and tells me and my wife to go to the beach and starts writing these guys a ticket.  Apparently, he was following them on their ride and watching them run light after light, stop sign after sign.

*shrugs*

Happens all the time though.  WAAAAAAAAAAY too often.  I flip flop -  I can see why a cyclist would run a stop sign/red light if there aren't any cars on the road.  I do it all the time.  I can see why a group would take up an entire car lane if there was no traffic on the road or only the occasional car.  It's when these habits become the norm and not the exception that problems start.

I don't mind letting someone know when I'm pissed.  Especially when they're in the wrong.  Then again, and this might sound like I'm Lt Col Badass (although I definitely don't want it to), but I've never been one to shy away from a fight either.  

2012-05-09 9:10 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Actually confronted a former friend last week for running a red light and complaining that a cop gave him a ticket, the whole f the police diatribe, and told him I thought he should get a ticket for it he said I wasn't a real cyclist...
2012-05-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4199441

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 10:10 AM Actually confronted a former friend last week for running a red light and complaining that a cop gave him a ticket, the whole f the police diatribe, and told him I thought he should get a ticket for it he said I wasn't a real cyclist...

I can hear him now "REAL Cyclists Run Lights.  It's cool to run lights.  Then we drink and drive, don't wear out seatbelt, talk on our cell phone in an airplane, and drop acid."  Good for you standing-up to your friend.  Maybe your comments will ring in his subconscious the next time and at the least save him from another ticket.

Can I add Yelling at Runners on this thread? 

I almost hit this doofus this morning as I've almost hit a doofus almost every morning that I ride on Ocean Drive.  The formula is always the same the runner: 1) doesn't have a flashing device on their person, 2) is wearing a black running outfit, and 3) has no intention of jumping out of the bike lane and onto the road/sidewalk as I'm barrelling toward them. 

I started wearing one of those high-power headlamps on full bright in-addition to the bike headlight so I can try to see these doofuses (doofusi? doofussen?) and the guy this morning still didn't see me or make a move to get out of the bike lane until he was almost on-top of me.  I want to get a bunch of those little flasher lights and start pinging these people in the head with them as I ride by and say "Save us both a trip to the emergency room, wear this!"

2012-05-09 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
If anyone is doing something really stupid/dangerous on the same road as me I will let them know, so they hopefully don't do it again. This includes cars, trucks, cyclists, skateboarders, dog walkers, runners, and pedestrians.
Anything that improves goodwill/respect on the road has got to better than being spat at (twice), purposely intimidated (twice), sworn and tooted at (lost count), cut off (way too many times), and told to "get the f#ck off the road" (really lost count). And I obey all the rules, so much so that I was once stopped by a cop and praised for my riding and signalling. Cycling in Arizona - sigh!
2012-05-09 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I've been known to run down people like that on my bike if I have the time and energy and "inform them" of the rules of the road and such. Really hard to do sometimes when I stop at all the stops. Talked to some real idiots that way but sometimes I do get the apology and sheepish I'll try not to in the future speach.
2012-05-09 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

A couple of weeks ago I was driving a loaded horse trailer and came upon a long line of cyclists, most on tri bikes although I didn't see anyone I knew. I passed as many as I could on a straight piece of road, but had to pull back in to a gap about half way along the line before we got close to a corner. The rig is about 40ft long, so it takes a lot of space to pass someone doing 15-20 mph.

The guy in front of me is clearly struggling and the lady behind him is catching up (therefore catching me). As we get towards the end of the twisty section I look in my left mirror, and she is trying to pass me on the left in travel lane for traffic going the opposite direction! I flipped on my left turn signal to make the turn I needed and she was smart enough to drop back out the way, but how did she think that was appropriate behavior? I understand I was going slowly, it would frustrate me in the same situation, but I WAS behind someone from her group!!

In the same rig, I got stuck behind two cyclists going side by side because the rig won't fit on one side of the yellow line - even if I pass with my left wheels in the dirt I would've taken one of them out. They went for about a mile before I reached somewhere the road was wide enough for me to pass.

Normally I don't mind getting stuck behind cyclists with the trailer - I just sit well back and wait, it's one of the perils of driving a large vehicle - but some put themselves in danger and cause needless bad feeling by being ignorant or arrogant.

John

2012-05-09 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My comment from the LEFT!! post:

2 weeks ago I did a 53 mile ride on a multi-use path with a decent number of people through much of the trail. I tried to call "On your left" or "passing left" as much as possible. There were plenty of times where it wasn't needed as it was pretty much open. I also tried to call it a lot in advance when passing people with baby carriers or strollers as that is a much bigger risk than I'm willing to take. What I was totally amazed by is the total disrespect most of the riders on the trail had. Generally it was the groups, but even a few single and double riders. I can literally count 10 different instances when a group of riders passed around a set of walkers that were side by side and group of riders behind them just blew into oncoming "traffic" with little to no concern of who was coming on the other side of the path. In 2 instances I actually stopped and blocked the group enough to force them to stop and bitched them out because the couple they were passing had both a toddler in a stroller and a baby in a carrier. I'm glad it is starting to get light out earlier as I can start riding before 8 when there are a quarter of the people on the path.

So yes... I usually make sure they know they are doing something very dangerous.
2012-05-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4199722

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's not my job to police the world of cyclists or be an ambassedor, except by leading by example.

Do you think that cyclists that are so blantently reckless will change because you gave them a lecture?  Reform?  No, MOST LIKELY, they will say something inflamitory back, and the situation just escalates.

A word or two, from another cyclist on a bike, when at a stop, delivered in a calm mannor MAY work, but if you lecture a cyclist from a car, the chances it escalates is probably even higher.

Again, D-bags are going to be D-bags.  It's in their DNA.  Trying to reason with them that they "give all cyclists" a bad name?  Won't work.  They probably even take pride in being the rebel.

2012-05-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4199722

User image

PeteDin206 - 2012-05-09 11:45 AM

My comment from the LEFT!! post:

2 weeks ago I did a 53 mile ride on a multi-use path

There's the problem

100 yard long pocket fisherman leashes and five abreast chatty Cathies who are doing about 9 MPH have made me only use the road even when there's a MUP available.

2012-05-09 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4199770

Master
Northern IL
Kido - 2012-05-09 11:04 AM

It's not my job to police the world of cyclists or be an ambassedor, except by leading by example.

Do you think that cyclists that are so blantently reckless will change because you gave them a lecture?  Reform?  No, MOST LIKELY, they will say something inflamitory back, and the situation just escalates.

A word or two, from another cyclist on a bike, when at a stop, delivered in a calm mannor MAY work, but if you lecture a cyclist from a car, the chances it escalates is probably even higher.

Again, D-bags are going to be D-bags.  It's in their DNA.  Trying to reason with them that they "give all cyclists" a bad name?  Won't work.  They probably even take pride in being the rebel.

I agree, and wanted to add that yelling out in these situations most always puts someone on the defensive. Not just the full-time d-bags, but also otherwise decent people who just made a mistake.

2012-05-09 10:55 PM

User image

Colorado
Today there was a kid (12 or so) riding in the bike lane, going the wrong way, on a CRAZY busy street. There was a huge truck right next to me when I realized someone was coming directly toward me, and I slowed to almost a stop against the curb to let the kid get by between me and the truck. I shook my head at him and gave him my best teacher glare, but I didn't yell. Part of me wanted to chase him down and tell him how dangerous his biking was...but I didn't.

2012-05-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4199441

User image

Pro

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 9:10 AM he said I wasn't a real cyclist...

I guess that makes you just a dude on a bike.

2012-05-09 11:23 PM
in reply to: #4199786

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

DanielG - 2012-05-09 11:08 AM
PeteDin206 - 2012-05-09 11:45 AM My comment from the LEFT!! post: 2 weeks ago I did a 53 mile ride on a multi-use path
There's the problem 100 yard long pocket fisherman leashes and five abreast chatty Cathies who are doing about 9 MPH have made me only use the road even when there's a MUP available.

^^^ like^^^ especially when chatty Cathies ring their bell at you after you pass!

2012-05-10 7:36 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I live in a small town, so "I KNOW YOU" applies. I don't yell it, but I note who it is and when I see them again we talk about it. Just last year I had a talk with a HS kid I almost hit at a 4 way. Came blazing out of nowhere on the Trek roadbike mommy and daddy bought him and I almost hit him.

Could you believe that he had absolutely NO IDEA that bikes have to obey the rules of the road? He was operating under a very steadfast "Pedestrians have the right-of-way" mindset. He was a senior in HS and this stuff had apparently never been covered. I set him straight and told him to pretend he is on a motorcycle or in a car when he is biking, since I know he has his DL.

I also consider myself the local helmet police for all things requiring helmets. I can't tell you how many teachers I've convinced to get a helmet. Many just don't want to do it, but when I give the "Children are watching" speech, they usually give-in and actually completely flip mindsets about it. Lots of adults don't wanna wear them, but even those adults who don't wear them think that kids MUST...
2012-05-10 7:55 AM

Regular
CT
dudes on bikes = DUI case

Edited by GottaSki 2012-05-10 7:56 AM
2012-05-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4199434

SurfingLamb - 2012-05-09 9:08 AM

I've done worse.  My wife and I were walking across a cross walk to go surf and these two lunatics just blow through the stop sign (as in, full on racing mode) and almost hit her (by almost I mean she moved her board just in time out of their way, but was almost knocked over by the momentum).  I turn into a full on caveman and take off after them.  Somehow there is a rock in my hand and I chuck it at them.  Completely miss but it got one of the guy's attention.  He and his buddy turn around (we were across the street by the time they got back, obviously).

Cyclist comes up to me and says "WTF?  Why are you throwing rocks?  You can get us killed!"  I flip out and start screaming at him incoherently (I'm sure) - as I'm boiling over with rage and ready to hulk up on these two .  Then an officer on a motorcycle pulls up (I thought it was due to me making a scene) and tells me and my wife to go to the beach and starts writing these guys a ticket.  Apparently, he was following them on their ride and watching them run light after light, stop sign after sign.

*shrugs*

Happens all the time though.  WAAAAAAAAAAY too often.  I flip flop -  I can see why a cyclist would run a stop sign/red light if there aren't any cars on the road.  I do it all the time.  I can see why a group would take up an entire car lane if there was no traffic on the road or only the occasional car.  It's when these habits become the norm and not the exception that problems start.

I don't mind letting someone know when I'm pissed.  Especially when they're in the wrong.  Then again, and this might sound like I'm Lt Col Badass (although I definitely don't want it to), but I've never been one to shy away from a fight either.  

Should change your name to SurfingWolf.

2012-05-10 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

I try to be a pragmatist on this one.

I have never seen verbally pointing out to a stupid anal sphincter that they are being a stupid anal sphincter (SAS for short) actually make them less of an SAS.

I have however seen it increase their SAS-iness.

So I see no upside, and plenty of downside for the effort = not worth the effort.

2012-05-10 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
ecozenmama - 2012-05-09 6:55 AM

lane riding against traffic.  He almost made me crash, because he looked like he was going to take the inside and then swerved to the outside lane at the last minute.  It was like he was playing chicken with me or something.  I found myself yelling at him, which I wouldn't normally do, but that peeved me so bad. 

Some guy on a mountain bike did that to my wife and me a few months ago...only he was in the traffic lane--our lane--coming right at us, playing chicken.  I had to swerve into another lane to avoid him.  He was looking right at me as he approached, definitely deliberate

So I pulled a u-turn, chased him down and cut him off with my car.  Both my wife and I got out of the car to confront him about his recklessness.  We started out by pointing out that we both were cyclists and didn't appreciate his riding and the hazard he'd created.  He told me to go eff myself.  Obviously with both of us there, he wasn't going to win a physical confrontation, but basically we just ultimately shook our heads and drove off.

That was the worst example, but I see terrible riding out there almost every day, whether I'm driving or riding myself.

2012-05-10 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
In my experience yelling at stupid people does not suddenly make them smart.
2012-05-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4201342

User image

Veteran
Chicago

amybecca - 2012-05-09 10:55 PM Today there was a kid (12 or so) riding in the bike lane, going the wrong way, on a CRAZY busy street. There was a huge truck right next to me when I realized someone was coming directly toward me, and I slowed to almost a stop against the curb to let the kid get by between me and the truck. I shook my head at him and gave him my best teacher glare, but I didn't yell. Part of me wanted to chase him down and tell him how dangerous his biking was...but I didn't.

Had a similar situation in Chicago last weekend. I had just turned onto a busy street in the right of two lanes, and all of a sudden there is a hipster/bike messenger coming right at me and there is a car to my left and there is no bike lane/shoulder/parking lane. I honked at him, slammed on my brakes and barely had enough time after the cars on the left passed to get over to give him room to get by - he never stopped pedaling. I also pointed to the other side of the road to indicate he should be going with traffic. After I got around him I saw that he had turned around and was gunning after me (while flipping me the bird). He gave up on catching me after a few blocks...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yelling at a Cyclist Rss Feed  

of 1