General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back-to-back-to-back bricks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-10 1:19 PM

Subject: back-to-back-to-back bricks

Hi All, I just signed up for my first tri (Olympic distance) and have been reviewing training programs.

noob question: Currently, what I have been doing for training for the past few weeks is to work everything into my commute to work during the week and take longer swims, runs or rides on the weekend.

e.g., On Monday through Friday I wake up early, swim for 20 minutes at the pool down the block, ride my bike to work which usually takes 25-30 minutes and then run on a treadmill at the office gym for 20 minutes. If I have time before meetings, I'll fit in an ab class and do some strength training.

On weekends, I'll try to rest one day and do a longer run (~40 minutes), bike ride (~3-4 hours) or swim (~40) minutes the other day.

Am I setting myself up for either overtraining and injury or plateauing? I don't see many brick workouts that incorporate all three exercises.

Any tips on modifying the weekday or weekend routines? I prefer to stick with the bike ride to work since I prefer it to the subway.

Thanks all.

Edited by strawdog18 2012-05-10 1:19 PM

2012-05-10 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4202675

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: back-to-back-to-back bricks

You're doing a lot, it all depends on your body if you're able to handle the volume or not.

True "brick" workouts you go from one exercise to the next with minimal or no rest in between.  Assuming you're giving yourself time between the workouts and fueling properly, I don't see any more danger than doing seperate workouts through the day.

2012-05-10 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Edwards AFB
Are all your workouts similar in nature?  Meaning, do you do intervals, varying intensity, etc?  I highly recommend you purchase a good book with many training plans and rationale behind everything and study up as best you can.  I bought a book six months ago that has proven to be invaluable.  A good book can tell you everything and take much of the guesswork out of your hands.
2012-05-10 1:43 PM

User image

So long as you don't feel burned out, I think what your doing is fine.

Keep in mind that what you need to monitor is overall training load.  In general, training load = volume * intensity.

Your weekday workouts are about 60-70 minutes total in the morning, and I'm assuming 25-30 minute ride home in the afternoon (so 90ish minutes total).  Whether or not it's 90 minutes of just one sport, or a mixture of all three isn't really doesn't really make your workouts harder...it's more about how much intensity you put into each.

What I would suggest though is spending more quality time in one sport each day.  Assuming you have about 60 minutes each day before work, then do something like this.

Monday - 40 minute swim, bike to work
Tuesday - 40 minute run, bike to work
Wednesday - 60 minute bike (just ride around for 40 minutes before heading to work)
Thursday - 40 minute swim, bike to work
Friday - 40 minute run, bike to work

Or something like that. Just my 2 cents.  Either way, it looks like you're getting in good training time.  Good luck in your race.

2012-05-10 1:49 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Your getting a lot of very short workouts.  That's OK (especially as you are starting out), but probably not optimal from a training standpoint (e.g., 20min in the pool is barely more than a warm-up).  Plateauing fairly quickly is probably more of an issue than over-training.

If you want to keep things mostly wrapped into your commute, consider swimming for 45-60min 2-3 days/wk and then riding to work.  On the other days, ride in and then run for 30-45min (if your long run is only at 40min, then build up to this gradually).  Keep your longer workouts on the weekends, but I'd suggest doing both a longer bike and longer run most weeks (unless you get that longer run during the week, in which case just add a short, easy run).  But when you need it, take a full day off (or try skipping the swim or run on a commute day and just ride real easy).

Just one option, as there are many ways to manage the schedule.

2012-05-10 2:12 PM

Wow, this community is awesome. I wasn't really expecting so many great responses after only stepping away from my desk to grab lunch.

Many thanks for the thoughtful suggestions.

2012-05-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4202764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
tri808 - 2012-05-10 1:43 PM

Assuming you have about 60 minutes each day before work, then do something like this.

Monday - 40 minute swim, bike to work
Tuesday - 40 minute run, bike to work
Wednesday - 60 minute bike (just ride around for 40 minutes before heading to work)
Thursday - 40 minute swim, bike to work
Friday - 40 minute run, bike to work

Or something like that. Just my 2 cents.  Either way, it looks like you're getting in good training time.  Good luck in your race.

I think this sounds great! Same volume, better focus on each sport. I'm a total newbie at this but the above schedule makes a lot of sense to me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back-to-back-to-back bricks Rss Feed