Coeur d'Alene Marathon
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 48m 47s
Overall Rank = 102/311
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/24
Pre-race routine:

Traditional pasta dinner the night before along with a big beer just for good measure. Hydration starting the day before the race and continuing into race day. Went to bed early and got up early to drive to the race about 40 miles away. Not much warming up.
Event warmup:

Very little.
Run
  • 3h 48m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Rain mostly stopped before the start, but then came on hard at times during the race. Overheating was not a problem since it was a cold day with wind and rain. Not to cold to enjoy the race though.
What would you do differently?:

Ideally I would have liked to have eaten a bigger breakfast, but with a 0700 start time I was up at 0400, so I didn't want too much on my stomach without time to digest it. I wish I had worked more on my long distance runs. I was feeling really good until mile 17, then by mile 20 it was not fun at all. Still managed to run to the end, but it was painful.
Post race
Warm down:

Got out of there as fast as I can so that I could go home and get a hot bath and some Advil.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I knew that the end would be hard so I started out slowly. If I had practiced more long runs then I would have been more confident in picking up some speed when I was feeling really good.

Event comments:

This was my first marathon, so by definition I suppose it was my best, however I have seen how larger cities go all out for their marathons and that can be great fun. Nonetheless, given the size of the City of Coeur d'Alene, they really put on a great race. The volunteers came out in the rain and had a lot of enthusiasm. Plus this was a great way for me to scout out the course for the upcoming Ironman CDA.

Last updated: 2006-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
03:48:47 | 26.2 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 102/311
Performance: Good
Started out slowly then couldn't help myself from speeding up a little when I was feeling good at the 10 mile mark. Last 6 miles were harder than I was expecting, but held on to a decent time.
Course: Mostly flat along a large lake that is usually very beautiful but with rain and wind it wasn't as pleasant. Two decent hills along the route, at miles 14 and 18. Course made its way through some residential neighborhoods before going over to the lake for the second half of the race. Paved roads and a paved trail made for a good course. A bit congested at first but that changed after the first 2-3 miles. Marathon runners split off from the half marathon runners at about mile 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %none
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes