General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me stop launching bottles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-15 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: help me stop launching bottles

I was doing a training ride by myself yesterday at race pace on basically an Olympic distance course.  The road was not particularly rough.  I have 2 gorilla cages behind the seat because everyone said they were the best cages for keeping bottles on the bike.  I was hammering a long, downhill section and my left bottle ejected wthout even hitting a bump.  I reached back to make sure my right bottle was there and it was still in the cage but it had ridden up to the point that it would have been lost in less than a mile.  I was using 2 cammelback podium ice bottles.  This is probably the 4th time in 2 months I have ejected the left bottle so I don't even use the rear system in group rides.  I know the cages are installed correctly.  I paid way too much for this system to get rid of it.  Anyone have any tricks to keeping the bottles in place?  Do I need to go with different bottles for some reason?

Also, I use the speedfill A2 between the bars for my main hydration and the rear bottles are for refills along the way.  This means I only need to take the rear bottles out a couple of times during a long race.  I was thinking a small amount of velcro or some sort of abrasive surface on the cage to help create friction with the bottle may help keep it in place but still allow me to pull the bottle out when needed.  Ideas?

2012-05-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4210183

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: help me stop launching bottles
I haven't tried that bottle, but for me, what worked was tilting the bottle cages back more and putting some electrical tape on the inside of the cages to tighten them up a little.
2012-05-15 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Skateboard grip tape the tops of the cages!!!
2012-05-15 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Tilting the cages helps. Another trick is to use older, scuffed up bottles for the back that are not as slick so there is more friction and less slippery..... ok,,,,, this is about bottle cages, right?
2012-05-15 8:28 AM

User image

I wrap a rubber band around itself on the cage and then take the free end and hook it over the nozzle of the bottle. Many years later not one launched bottle.

2012-05-15 8:34 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON

From the xlab website about the gorilla cage:

'Bottles with shorter groves that do not fit properly into the hook like the Camelback Podium, and bottles with grooves that are not uniform around the entire circumference like the Polar Insulated bottles are not recommended for use with the XLAB Gorilla Cage, and in our experience these two bottles do not stay in place on rear carriers due to the lack of groove for the cages to grip.'

You might have to try the tips provided by others.

Good luck

2012-05-15 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4210224

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

DanielG - 2012-05-15 8:28 AM I wrap a rubber band around itself on the cage and then take the free end and hook it over the nozzle of the bottle. Many years later not one launched bottle.

I saw a buddy's set up similar to this and it worked like a charm.  He only uses the behind the seat holders for storage and drinks from a holder on the down tube.   I drink from the bottle off of my right hip, therefore it would be a hassle to undue a rubber band every time I needed a drink.

2012-05-15 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Camelback Podium are the only bottles that eject from my xlab.  Any other bottle is fine.  They slide up no matter how smooth the road.  Freeze some el cheapo bottles and it will be just as cold as a podium bottle after two hours.
2012-05-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4210239

User image

Veteran
mtx - 2012-05-15 8:34 AM

From the xlab website about the gorilla cage:

'Bottles with shorter groves that do not fit properly into the hook like the Camelback Podium, and bottles with grooves that are not uniform around the entire circumference like the Polar Insulated bottles are not recommended for use with the XLAB Gorilla Cage, and in our experience these two bottles do not stay in place on rear carriers due to the lack of groove for the cages to grip.'

You might have to try the tips provided by others.

Thanks for all of the replies.  I guess in typical male fashion I ignored the instructions!  I will find some other bottles and the rubber band or skateboard grip tape ideas sound exactly like what I was thinking about doing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me stop launching bottles Rss Feed