General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If I refuel during race, should i refuel while training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-15 2:12 PM

User image

Subject: If I refuel during race, should i refuel while training
I have completed my first Tri beginner distance and now training for a sprint distance. One thing i didnt do for the beginner tri was worry about refueling cause it was 300meter Swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run. I took a few drinks of gatorade during the bike leg and a couple cups of water at the 1 mile mark of the run, it also rained so it was a cool April day. I plan on using GU gels every 30 mintutes and a good amount of gatorade during the bike for the sprint distance of 500 meter swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run for second Tri in June. I normally just drink water when training, but for brick or transition workouts or as a general rule should I take the gels and gatorade during long training sessions if i plan on doing the same during the race?

2012-05-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4211175

User image

Subject: RE: If I refuel during race, should i refuel while training

In general, if you plan to do something during a race, you should try to simulate it during training. 

That being said, your body likely doesn't need that much "refueling" for a sprint tri of the distance you describe.  Maybe a little water or sports drink and you should be fine. 

2012-05-15 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City

You want to train like you race.

That said, a Gu every 30 minutes seems like way too much.  In a sprint (which takes me 1.5 - 2 hours) I will have a Gu about 15 mins before the swim, and another near the end of the bike.  Otherwise just water.  Some do water only since sprints are fairly short.

User image

Wichita
don't do anything new on race day... so if you want to take gu and gatorade during the race you better practice with it to make sure your body reacts right to it.  I know gu didn't work for me because it gave me cramps, but another gel worked well for me.  If I had waited until race day it would have ruined my race.

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Yes.

You need to learn how your body will react to the nutrition during training.  You'll also get a better idea of how much/how often you'll want nutrition.  For most people gu every 30 minutes would be too much.

2012-05-15 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4211194

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
JZig - 2012-05-15 12:17 PM

Yes.

You need to learn how your body will react to the nutrition during training.  You'll also get a better idea of how much/how often you'll want nutrition.  For most people gu every 30 minutes would be too much.

+1.

2012-05-15 3:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

cantu4of10 - 2012-05-15 2:12 PM I have completed my first Tri beginner distance and now training for a sprint distance. One thing i didnt do for the beginner tri was worry about refueling cause it was 300meter Swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run. I took a few drinks of gatorade during the bike leg and a couple cups of water at the 1 mile mark of the run, it also rained so it was a cool April day. I plan on using GU gels every 30 mintutes and a good amount of gatorade during the bike for the sprint distance of 500 meter swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run for second Tri in June. I normally just drink water when training, but for brick or transition workouts or as a general rule should I take the gels and gatorade during long training sessions if i plan on doing the same during the race?

1 gel mid to late on the bike ought to be enough. Some won't need any. A single bottle of water should be fine, gatorade if it works for you. It's better to go with less than you think on these. Too much or the wrong thing and it'll upset your stomach. If you've trained well you'll have the energy to get through it strong.

2012-05-15 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4211313

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My advice is to practice the fueling in training until you're satisfied with the results.   This is my main use of brick workouts.  I try to take enough on my bike ride to feel pretty good for the run.  If I start a post-ride run in training and feel bad, I have to work on the fueling.

If you've got it worked out, and can competently take a gel while riding your bike (for instance, without falling over...) then you can go back to whatever you'd do for a single workout.   I usually don't take anything but water for anything under an hour, but that's personal.  

As far as how many/much/what to take, that's up to you.  I need a bit more than the average person it sounds like, so I take a gel about every half hour, 40 mins max, during a race. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-05-15 3:08 PM
2012-05-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4211186

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
tri808 - 2012-05-15 2:16 PM

In general, if you plan to do something during a race, you should try to simulate it during training. 

That being said, your body likely doesn't need that much "refueling" for a sprint tri of the distance you describe.  Maybe a little water or sports drink and you should be fine. 

x2 

2012-05-15 3:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
What everyone else said, but I would reframe this as finding out what you need in training as you train for race day distance...then do that in a race!

At some point in your trianing, depending on how much time nad how much experience you have, you might schedule a "race rehearsal brick", where for a short race, like a sprint...you could either do all the race distances with some rest between them, or do "most" of the race distance, or just do bike/run brick for 3/4 of the race distance...etc.

Lots of ways to skin that cat. But part of hte reason for a long race rehearsal day is to learn what fuel works for you. Don't plan for the race, plan for your training...then take that to the race.
2012-05-15 9:49 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips everyone, very useful advise Laughing

2012-05-15 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
does anyone actually training without refueling?? i've only done a few 50+ mile rides and i can't imagine not having a stop for extra water or taking in a gel or three.  i under fueled/hydrated on my last long training ride and felt like death.  i literally thought i would die.  the only thing keeping me going was picturing a tall glass of chocolate milk in my kitchen.
2012-05-16 6:16 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's times I train without refueling, but only shorter sessions. Short bikes rides (usually intervals), track workouts, etc. Water, yes, but no fuel. Once I get over about 1hr., I definitely do need fuel to maintain composure.

To the original question, you should always test out in training what you plan to do in a race. There's nothing worse than realizing halfway through a race that you had a negative reaction to something new.... With that said, if you're doing primarily shorter, more intense workouts (needed for sprints), then you may not need to refuel during the training every time. Before and after is enough.
2012-05-16 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

As others have said, what you do in you training should dictate what you do in a race.

I'm usually good for about 1-1/2 hours without re-fueling.  Less than that, just some water or Gatorade if it's hot.

For sprint tri's I just take one bottle of Gatorade on the bike and seldom finish it all.  I always try to be well-hydrated before I start a race; I'll sip water or Gatorade up until I get into the water to warm up.

Mark

2012-05-16 7:16 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm training for a similar sprint length (350y/14mi/5k) here's my plan for race nutrition: 2/3 Clif Blok Shots 15 min before swim and some Monster Rehab in the water bottle during the bike. Maybe a little water on run if it ends up being hot.

For me, this does not include eating properly with a low protein diet the day before. I'm overly sensitive to protein in that if I'm high at all the days prior to even a hard 5k the ammonia reek of burning thru that protein about makes me nauseous. Still haven't figured out if it's the lack of carbs or the high protein, but either way I cut back on protein and increase carbs and I don't get that smell...
2012-05-16 8:16 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Without a doubt yes because you need to know what your GI system can tolerate as far as nutrition during the race so simulate it during training.

2012-05-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4211988

Master
Northern IL

Clempson - 2012-05-15 9:52 PM does anyone actually training without refueling?? i've only done a few 50+ mile rides and i can't imagine not having a stop for extra water or taking in a gel or three.  i under fueled/hydrated on my last long training ride and felt like death.  i literally thought i would die.  the only thing keeping me going was picturing a tall glass of chocolate milk in my kitchen.

I carry enough water and food that I don't have to stop. 50 mile rides will take no more than 2 water bottles, and could just as likely be 1 for me depending on the weather and effort level. 1 powerbar will also do, but I'll carry a little more just in case.

Under hydrating is possible, especially with heat involved, but underfueling is more likely pacing vs fitness. Could be just getting used to going for that long. I've done 5:40 on zero fuel, but plenty of water, and there were some solid efforts in there with the hills.

2012-05-16 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Some of it depends on what your goals are. Many people use nutrition as an excuse to pound down the calories while exercising, and wonder why they never lose weight. If you are trying to get to a racing weight, limiting calories during exercise (and other times) will help.

For a race where you're going to take in calories, it's a good idea to practice a few times by taking them in while training. This doesn't need to be a constant thing, however. Doing it a few times to make sure you can tolerate whatever it is you're ingesting is usually fine. If you're doing anything shorter than an olympic distance (typically less than 1.5 hrs), I don't think it's worth bothering with nutrition. Same goes for training. Beyond that, you may want to introduce a small amount of nutrition depending on time and intensity. Keep in mind, it can be tough taking in nutrition during very intense efforts so what works during training may not be so palatable in a race.

Also remember that the meal you eat before you start exercising counts as nutrition. Typically the only time you start out on empty is if you work out in the morning prior to eating/drinking anything besides water.

Personally, I rarely eat/drink anything except water until the run gets over 12 miles or the ride goes over 2 hours with some good intensity. I've had to work my way up to this though. I used to eat bars and gels, drink a carb/electrolyte drink, and have something for recovery afterwards all in the guise of 'fueling'. All I was really doing was eating empty calories based on what nutrition companies told me to do. I might as well have been drinking beer. After stopping the nonsense, I was able to lose weight much quicker, am able to go longer without requiring nutrition, and recover the same or faster than before. I'm also lighter, fitter and stronger. Lighter everywhere except my wallet, that is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If I refuel during race, should i refuel while training Rss Feed