General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking input from the ultra clan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-15 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: Seeking input from the ultra clan
I have been reading several running books lately and have been bitten by the minimalist running bug. Bought some 5fingers and ordered Sauconey mirages as a first step down from my guide 5 shoes. Not convinced that there is a true final word on running form. However, alot of the minimalist thought makes since enough to try. I plan to ease in to it. Planning on running my fun runs slow and easy with the kids in the 5 fingers and 1 short tempo run a week in the new mirages. Trying to concentrate on " leaning forward and short strides. I am a heal striker. Any suggestions, knee jerk reactions, advice, or opinions appreciated. Posting with you guys as who runs more than the ultra crew. I hope to join your ranks this winter in georgia with the pine mountain 40.

2012-05-15 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4211861

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Seeking input from the ultra clan
I have zero experience with minimalist running, but have been a Saucony Guide wearer basically since I started running so thought I'd chime in there. If you ever need a non-minimalist trail shoe, I would recommend the Mizuno Ascend as fitting/working well for a Guide-wearer. The Guides don't give me enough traction on technical trail, but I wear them for gravel road runs. The Ascends seem to fit my duck feet well which is a big reason I'm in the Guides for road running.
2012-05-16 10:15 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

I eased into the whole "minimalist" thing by first jumping to VFFs and not liking them.  So I went to Saucony Kinvara's which I LOVE.  I'm on my second pair this year.  I also bought some Peregrines for the trails but these don't really feel like minimalist shoes or like the Kinvaras at all to me.  I'm kind of on the fence about them.

My other trail shoes are Montrail Mountain Masochists which I like. Not minimalist at all really, but they have felt good and protected my toes on some pretty rocky runs.

I don't think I helped answer any questions at all here...

2012-05-16 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

The whole minimalist method needs to be approached with caution and an understanding as to exactly what the goal is. We run with a gait that is natural to us and to try to 'correct' it could be counterproductive, even injurious. Running should not be complicated.

It also is going to depend on what kind of surface you'll be running on. I just finished a race last month in AZ that was so rough, that I did not see any minimalist shoes there. In fact, one of race leaders had to drop out after 18 miles when his shoe blew apart hitting a rock. I was glad to have shoes with stout soles and lots of support. 

I have a pair of 5Fs and have run some in them, but they are novelty to me. I'm not an authority, but everyone is different. Become an experienced runner and trail runner, then start experimenting.

Oh, I wanted to add: The ultra club is always accepting of new members. It's where all the cool kids hang. :)

Edited by jkron 2012-05-16 10:00 PM
2012-05-16 10:43 PM

I've have been doing a little over half of my mileage each week with my Inov-8's which are minimalist.  My shortest run right now is 1.5 hours (8-11 miles depending on how crazy the trail is) - which is also the longest run that I will do minimalist style now.  I have found that past 10 miles it is just outright painful.  When I switch to the cascadias for the weekend long runs its like running on clouds.  My reason for the minimalist run was getting off the heel strike.  I never saw it as a permanent move.  I will be going back to grass runs after my next 100 miler this memorial weekend and will never see the minimalist deal again as it cost me some interesting new injuries that I would prefer to not see again.  I am also not too sure if this is a ultra community wide thing, but I have really noticed the Hoka shoe explosion across the board with the BOP'ers and elites which is the complete opposite of the minimalist deal.  Is anyone else seeing this? 
2012-05-19 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
only thing is I wouldn't be running in the vibrams with the kids. It takes a fair amount of thought to change your stride like that and you don't need the distraction of the kids. Could cause you to take a poorly planned foot strike and increase chances of injury.

2012-05-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4214106

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
jkron - 2012-05-16 9:58 PM

Oh, I wanted to add: The ultra club is always accepting of new members. It's where all the cool kids hang.

Very true!!

2012-05-20 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
I did 3400 miles in Vibrams before realizing they were not right for me. Currently I run in the Skora Base and Form and have completed a 50 and a 100 mile ultra in them. At 9mm of stack height w/o the insole, and 13mm with, they are a bit more protective while being zero drop.

My advice is to wear minimalist shoes as often as you can, especially when not running. That will help get your feet used to the feeling and speed up the adaption process. Some other great advice is to not worry about speed or distance in the beginning. Keep it fun
2012-05-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4214152

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Dultra - 2012-05-16 10:43 PM
I have found that past 10 miles it is just outright painful.  When I switch to the cascadias for the weekend long runs its like running on clouds.  My reason for the minimalist run was getting off the heel strike.  I never saw it as a permanent move.  I will be going back to grass runs after my next 100 miler this memorial weekend and will never see the minimalist deal again as it cost me some interesting new injuries that I would prefer to not see again.  I am also not too sure if this is a ultra community wide thing, but I have really noticed the Hoka shoe explosion across the board with the BOP'ers and elites which is the complete opposite of the minimalist deal.  Is anyone else seeing this? 

Hokas are not exactly the complete opposite of minimalism. Hokas and Newtons are not minimalist, but still allow for a whole-foot strike, they just offer more protection and zero ground feel. Minimalist shoes on the other hand, offer great proprioception but less protection. it's about finding your proper balance. Vibrams were too little protection, Skoras work well for me.

Hokas are primarily an ultra phenomenon as far as I can tell.
2012-05-24 2:59 AM

User image

Plano, Tx

I originally was a heel striker but started working on my form back when Newtons first came out. Maybe 2007? 

Have run in Newtons (on my 13th pair) for my road running ever since then. It's an amazing product (IMHO) and revolutionized running for me. It was a long, sometimes painful process, but I eased into it and am now reaping the benefits of a more natural stride/form. 

I currently trail run in the NB MT110s and recently did a trail 100 miler in the old MT101s. They had about 4-5mm drop and I had no issues. No matter what you need to experiment with different shoes and find what works for you and is comfortable. 

Lastly, having a "supportive" shoe is not always better for a rocky, difficult trail. When a more minimal shoe your feet get more of a chance to react to changes in terrain, etc instead of just muting it. Having protection is good, but support (if you're looking to run more natural) is something you should play with until you find what you're comfortable with. 2 cents!!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking input from the ultra clan Rss Feed