in reply to: #4683859

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: RE: Garmin 910 xt during swim leg
ChrisM - 2013-04-02 3:22 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-04-02 4:48 AM
tri808 - 2013-04-01 3:53 PM

...but I was treading water for about a minute waiting for my GF to catch up and I lost GPS signal.  And once I lost it...I didn't get it back.  So you might want to test this for yourself if you really want the GPS data.  If your race has a wade start, just know that you might lose GPS signal while wading in the water, and it might not kick in when you start swimming. 

If you're treading water, that won't have any impact on whether or not you keep the signal. Either you're locked on to the satellites or you're not. Standing, sitting, treading, swimming, running, etc. won't matter. Nor will a wade start. If the satellites are picking up your device, your movement is being tracked. 

On this point, the reason I have lost GPS while treading, incluidng last weekend's deep water start at Oceanside, is because my wrist was underwater enough to lose the signal.  I just hold it out of the water a few seconds and it quickly regains it

True enough. I can't recall, off the top of my head, what the 910xt recommends for depth to keep the signal. I tend to tread with my arms pretty close to the surface and haven't had any problems to date. To be fair, I haven't had many OWS with it yet (but have stopped to let training partners catch up) ... and no deep water starts. 

2013-04-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4683892

User image

BernardDogs - 2013-04-02 9:43 AM
ChrisM - 2013-04-02 3:22 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-04-02 4:48 AM
tri808 - 2013-04-01 3:53 PM

...but I was treading water for about a minute waiting for my GF to catch up and I lost GPS signal.  And once I lost it...I didn't get it back.  So you might want to test this for yourself if you really want the GPS data.  If your race has a wade start, just know that you might lose GPS signal while wading in the water, and it might not kick in when you start swimming. 

If you're treading water, that won't have any impact on whether or not you keep the signal. Either you're locked on to the satellites or you're not. Standing, sitting, treading, swimming, running, etc. won't matter. Nor will a wade start. If the satellites are picking up your device, your movement is being tracked. 

On this point, the reason I have lost GPS while treading, incluidng last weekend's deep water start at Oceanside, is because my wrist was underwater enough to lose the signal.  I just hold it out of the water a few seconds and it quickly regains it

True enough. I can't recall, off the top of my head, what the 910xt recommends for depth to keep the signal. I tend to tread with my arms pretty close to the surface and haven't had any problems to date. To be fair, I haven't had many OWS with it yet (but have stopped to let training partners catch up) ... and no deep water starts. 

My guess is that the depth at which the 910 loses signal is pretty shallow.  It's why the original 310 would not work while OWS until they upgraded the firmware.  From what I gather, the firmware tells the 310 and the 910 to not look for a continuous GPS signal stream while in OWS mode, but try to "piece it together" from the signals it gets when your wrist is out of the water.

If GPS worked while under water, any waterproof garmin would work for OWS while attached to your wrist.  Before the 310 firmware upgrade and the 910, the only other solution was to put it in your swim cap.

2013-04-02 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4683994

User image

My guess is that the depth at which the 910 loses signal is pretty shallow. 

Yeah, can't be more than a foot or so, as my arm does not go that deep when treading

2013-04-02 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4684015

User image

ChrisM - 2013-04-02 10:59 AM

My guess is that the depth at which the 910 loses signal is pretty shallow. 

Yeah, can't be more than a foot or so, as my arm does not go that deep when treading

So the solution is...if treading water, just before starting you need to lift your arm out of the water, and do your best William Wallace impression.  Seems fitting just before the mass start scrum.

2013-04-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4212389

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I wear mine on my wrist for the whole race. Like some others, I have it rotated inside my wrist for the swim and bike, then rotate it out for the run. I cover it 1/2 - 1/3 with my wetsuit. I also wrap a very strong, thin rubber band around it since it's on a QR and I worry about it detaching (the QR is so I can use it on my road bike). The wetsuit comes off without issue. I've never had an issue with the buttons either. I start it when they start the 10-second countdown. I did the same with my 310xt before I got this one.
2013-04-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4684077

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

MonkeyClaw - 2013-04-02 4:39 PM I wear mine on my wrist for the whole race. Like some others, I have it rotated inside my wrist for the swim and bike, then rotate it out for the run. I cover it 1/2 - 1/3 with my wetsuit. I also wrap a very strong, thin rubber band around it since it's on a QR and I worry about it detaching (the QR is so I can use it on my road bike). The wetsuit comes off without issue. I've never had an issue with the buttons either. I start it when they start the 10-second countdown. I did the same with my 310xt before I got this one.

Pretty much everything MonkeyClaw said I do as well.  I've used it in 4 OWS tris last year and will plan to use it start to finish in a handful upcoming this year.  I use the multi-sport mode.  If it's a water start I will lose the GPS signal if I'm treading water too long so I will raise my hand every so often to make sure I don't lose the satellites. 

I have not had a problem getting the wetsuit off of my wrist.  Those that are practicing wetsuit removal, are you doing this completely dry or wet?  I think the wetsuit comes off my wrists easier when my skin and the inside of the wetsuit is saturated.  Maybe it's not actually the truth but it seems that way to me. 

Also if it is a wave start or a beach start where we run in, I just start my watch and not worry abou tthe total swim time knowing it could be 10-30 seconds too long.  Not a big deal over 2.5 to 5 hours if you ask me.

2013-04-03 11:51 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Seems like an evenly divided opinion on whether or not to wear it during the swim. The fear factor of it popping off certainly makes me sit up and take notice, but if the wetsuit sleeve is covering it, is that really likely? Especially if you are a MOP/BOP person who is unlikely to get caught up the the starting scrum?
2013-04-04 4:56 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
I think based on the answers I will wear it under my wetsuit and press start once I'm in the water waiting on the start. Hopefully I won't hit the lap but accidentally. I will be practicing in the ocean once I get to race sight this weekend so I may play around with the button lock and see how hard it is to undo.
2013-04-04 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4212785

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

Forsey - 2012-05-16 10:35 AM Keep on my wrist the entire time with the face on the back of my wrist.

This is what I do as well, because it makes it easy to see when I'm in my aerobars on my bike.  But I have found a couple of times that my watch hits the bracket for my aerobottle, and presses the lap button to put me into T2 (multisport mode).  Very annoying when I notice right away, much more annoying when it takes me a while to notice.

Is there any way around this?

2013-04-04 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

I don't know what quick release strap all these people are talking about, but the one for my Garmin 910xt has ZERO chance of getting kicked or pryed off in even the most brutal OWS.  It's basically like a pill bottle where you have to push down and turn very hard to release it.  It's NOT coming off in a swim.

Personally I like using my watch for an entire tri and if you have the quick release, it seems worthwhile to take advantage of it in all phases of your event.  With this system you can pop the watch off right before you remove your wetsuit and then, while holding the watch face in your had, the wetsuit flies off over the miniscule band like nothing is there.  VERY simple, VERY easy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910 xt during swim leg Rss Feed  

of 2