General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-16 11:49 PM

User image

Regular
NW
Subject: I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now

Since this is Beginner Triathlete and many on the forum have some years in triathlon, I thought as I was out on my bike tonight some things I know now I wish I knew starting out.  So lets hear them!   I'll throw in a few that I experienced on my ride tonight.

• If your chain drops to the outside of the big ring, immediately shift to the small ring and keep pedaling, the chain 9.9 times out of ten will get back on.  If it drops to the inside of the small ring, shift to the big ring and keep pedaling.
  • Arm Warmers - on evenings that cool down, nothing beats having some arm warmers in the jersey pocket.
  • Chip seal, rough country roads - If you are not racing or trying to hang on the back of a pace line, let some air out of the tires.  85 psi gives me a smoooooth ride.  Just use HR, Power, etc and don't worry about the mph.  It can make training rides a lot more enjoyable.
  • Mirrors - I know, I know, but..... I have found without fail that if I'm out riding on a single lane road, if I take the center of the lane but watch for approaching traffic and then move to the right fog line as they approach, the motorist gives me all the room in the world.  I've never been buzzed using this approach.  I think it is the simple act of showing you are trying to get out of their way that makes them return the favor.  No break of pace, no problem.

Like I said, these just came to mind as I was cycling along.  Let's hear em gang.  Swimming, cycling, running.......

Oh....please, please, please don't get into debates on this thread.  Just throw out what you would offer new people and let them pick what they want to try.

2012-05-17 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4214207

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: RE: I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now

My knees would have been much happier with me if I'd known that one degree on a treadmill is actually flat, not zero degrees. Zero is essentially running downhill, which despite being easier on the lungs is harder on the body.

Bilateral breathing helps ya swim straight, the importance of which is only truly clear in open water (ie. where it counts).

Recovery days are a GREAT idea.

Weird/amazing/disturbing things happen in your brain when you pass or are passed on a training ride. You'll learn something about who you are. And the sex of the person can be a considerable factor, particularly if you're the one getting passed.

Have fun at all times. Smile (does amazing things). You're doing this for a good time.

2012-05-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4214434

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
marvintpa - 2012-05-17 8:42 AM

Recovery days are a GREAT idea.

x2!!! You're not losing a training day, you're actually rebuilding and taking advantage of the training days you have put in.
2012-05-17 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4214434

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
marvintpa - 2012-05-17 8:42 AM

Weird/amazing/disturbing things happen in your brain when you pass or are passed on a training ride. You'll learn something about who you are. And the sex of the person can be a considerable factor, particularly if you're the one getting passed.

wat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now Rss Feed