General Discussion Triathlon Talk » guy bandits race, gets injured Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-05-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4216532

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: guy bandits race, gets injured

Tripopo - 2012-05-18 9:48 AM I hope he gets nothing but my money is on the insurance company settling out of court as a cheaper alternative to going to trial.  Just my .02 though.

this^^^^  .  PI lawyers will not agree with me, but this is the problem when anyone can sure anyone without taking a risk....if people had to front some money before they sued and risk something, i believe you would see a lot of these frivolous lawsuits go away, to leave room for the legitimate ones. 

2012-05-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4216622

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Miles around Midtown - 2012-05-18 8:35 AM

He's wearing a race number in the pic. How did he get one if he was banditing the race? Used an old one, perhaps?

I don't agree with what the guy did, but let me play devil's advocate for a minute. HAD he paid the $50 and signed the waiver, don't you think he would be suing anyway? He could make some argument like he didn't feel he had enough time to read it or the font was too small or something else, making it irrelevant.

He took his friend's race number that didn't race.  It sure looks like he's "diving" into that pit and if that were the case, legit registration or not, I do not feel sorry for him.  You chose to participate, you accept the risks.  Now if the pit had punji sticks in it and they didn't warn people, maybe you'd have a case.

2012-05-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4216547

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Fred D - 2012-05-18 9:56 AM
kssandr - 2012-05-18 9:52 AM

The fact that he was running the race bandit is irrelevant.

I fundamentally disagree.

It is absolutely relevant, perhaps the most relevant issue, particularly to the issue of negligence and whether the race company owed him a duty of care and what level that is involved. Depending on Virginia law, the fact that he was banditing the race and, therefore, not on the property with permission or by invitation, may likely mean the race company owed him no duty to keep him safe or warn of dangerous conditions.

2012-05-18 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4216607

User image

Colorado
ironannekidd - 2012-05-18 8:27 AM 

But it wasn't his fault...

" Fecteau says the pit forced him to jam his hands and arms as he started to crawl"

Um... how did it FORCE him to jam his hands and arms?

It was probably the same force that made him compete in a race he wasn't registered for, and the same force may be in play in the lawsuit - maybe he doesn't have a choice but to sue.

I feel for him for his injuries, but am totally baffled as to how with all of the competitors out there, he was the one to find the obstacle to be truly dangerous, ill-constructed, etc.

2012-05-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4216397

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

One of the sad things about society is the sense of entitlement that has taken over.  Nothing is "my fault" any more, it's always "someone else's fault".   People spill hot coffee in their laps and sue restaurants for millions.  A group of drunk teenagers sneak into a random strangers pool late at night while the family isn't home and one of them accidentally drowns, and the homeowner gets sued.  A man steals a car and gets chased by the police.  He crashes the car into a telephone pole and sustains injuries.  He sues the police for forcing him to speed up and drive wrecklessly, he sues the telephone company for putting the pole "too close to the road", and he sues the owner of the car for leaving it unlocked thus "inviting" him to steal it.  This stuff actually happens. 

This is the kind of mentality we have to deal with now.  In the case of the endurance races, we all sign a waiver that says we assume the known risk of being in the race.  Now granted if there was some gross negligence on the part of the race director in a race you officially signed up for, and you got injured, that's another story.  If I signed up for a race and one of the life guards in a row boat intentionally whacked me in the head with an oar as I swam by, I think I might have valid reasons to seek justice.  But in the case of a guy who bandited a race and INTENTIONALLY IGNORED signing a waiver that WOULD HAVE MADE HIM AWARE OF THE ASSUMED RISKS HE WAS ABOUT TO EMBARK ON AND GIVEN HIM THE OPTION NOT TO PARTICIPATE, then he has no right to sue.  Plain and simple.  Period.   

2012-05-18 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

Can someone explain to me why a man who was "fit" and had completed the Marine Corps Marathon, was an active member of his running club and paced a 9:49 mile was "tired, physically exhausted, and weak" after only 3.1 miles?  

This sounds like a load of malarky to me, and he was being unethical.  Apparently 1500 other runners made it through the pit just fine.  He made a mistake, miscalculated, and now wants someone else to pay for it, AFTER he was there illegally in the first place.  

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-05-18 10:10 AM

2012-05-18 10:15 AM

User image

Master
The fact that he wasn't registered is going to be relevant. As other have noted, he had no right to be on the race course at all, which is not going to play well with a Virginia jury.

Plus, he didn't sign the liability waiver, and I suspect he will be treated as if he did. State's vary on how much force those types of waivers carry, but given these circumstances I could see a judge or jury strictly enforcing a waiver. (Thieves don't get a ton of leeway.)

Moreover, as a "bandit" he may not have participated in safety briefings related to the race, which will also go to his contributory negligence. And that doesn't even get to the question of whether he actually caused his own injuries through stupidity.

That being said, it sounds like there are real damages in this case. (The guy is seriously injured.) The race insurer may have big concerns about the sympathy factor involved with someone who is partially paralyzed. I predict a settlement at waaaayyy below what this guy is asking for.
2012-05-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4216588

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4216623

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-18 10:34 AM

Pennsylvania

Wow, one of the comments waaaay down on the linked page contains another link to the court paperwork (or whatever it is called, my apologies for not knowing).  After reading it, it sounds like the guy may have a bit more of a case than we are originally made to believe.  I'm not saying he is right or wrong; I'm just saying extra background knowledge has moved my opinion a skosh.  I got to about page 14 then got tired of the legalese.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/18/mudrun.pdf

2012-05-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4216540

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA
kssandr - 2012-05-18 8:52 AM

I really don't see how people are making comments like this.  The fact that he was running the race bandit is irrelevant.  I agree, you shouldn't bandit a race but we are talking about someone potentially being paralyzed for life.  I hate when people curse at me from cars while I'm running but I don't hope they hit a tree down the road and die.  It's an entry fee and a waiver, if the course was dangerous they are at fault.

These obstacle based courses are popping up like wildfire.  You don' think its possible someone designing the course fumbled at one point and made a risky obstacle?  How extensive training are they going through to design these things?  You promote these events to the general public with the 'everyone can do it' attitude and then someone gets hurt.  

I don't know who is at fault.  I didn't see the course and I don't know this guy.  It's terrible he will potentially have to live out the rest of his life paralyzed and its unfortunate the race has been tarnished for others.  

Someone explain why we are out for blood with this guy??

Maybe not necessarily out for blood for the dude, but the race organizers shouldn't be held liable for someone who didn't register for their race/put in the appropriate paperwork/etc.  It would be the equivalent to someone biking on your street, crashing into your driveway, and then sueing you because it was your driveway that they crashed into.

Or, maybe a bit more extreme, you're taking your daughter and her friends for a walk - and - unbeknownst to you - another kid is following you.  This kid falls and breaks her arm and her parents sue you for not taking care of their child.

Ridiculous, right?  It is.  The proper precautions/insurance measures cannot be taken for someone who doesn't register and just shows up.

2012-05-18 10:50 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
The dude should sue his friend for giving him his race number.
2012-05-18 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4216801

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

Actually, I just read it the legal documents.  While I still think it's a load of crap - if the organizers told him he didn't need to register in order to race - then I think they (legally) take on liability.  With that said, I don't know of a single race organizer in the world that would allow someone to come and race and not have them sign a waiver of liability form.  Would literally be the first thing out of any race director's mouth.

2012-05-18 11:02 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
His bandit status is relevant.  In most events, there were emails stating the rules and descriptions of the course, plus athletes' meetings.  Since he didn't actually register for the event, he at least partially deprived the race organizers of the opportunity to warn him of the risks.
2012-05-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4216826

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
SurfingLamb - 2012-05-18 11:01 AM

Actually, I just read it the legal documents.  While I still think it's a load of crap - if the organizers told him he didn't need to register in order to race - then I think they (legally) take on liability.  With that said, I don't know of a single race organizer in the world that would allow someone to come and race and not have them sign a waiver of liability form.  Would literally be the first thing out of any race director's mouth.

This is what the bandit racer is saying.  If you read the RD's comments about it, he states that no such conversation ever occurred between them.  

In other documents, the bandit racer states he asked the RD about changing the name on the race form and signing the waiver and the RD said don't worry about it.  RD is claiming NONE of these conversations happened.  

2012-05-18 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4216753

Master
Sin City
melbo55 - 2012-05-18 8:34 AM

Wow, one of the comments waaaay down on the linked page contains another link to the court paperwork (or whatever it is called, my apologies for not knowing).  After reading it, it sounds like the guy may have a bit more of a case than we are originally made to believe.  I'm not saying he is right or wrong; I'm just saying extra background knowledge has moved my opinion a skosh.  I got to about page 14 then got tired of the legalese.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/18/mudrun.pdf

I was just going to mention the same thing.

Seems like the guy was TRYING not to bandit the race, and ask them if he has to sign a wavier or some type of transfer for his friend's number to him.  He was "told" no, just race with that number. 

Now - Personally, if you're an endurance athlete, and have participated in races, and you hear from a volunteer that "no you don't need to sign anything or transfer the number or whatever", I would DEMAND to see the RD because I know that's not good to not sign any type of wavier.  So, who's REALLY at fault?!

Let's just say for hypothetical sake - Suppose if he was NOT a bandit, and participated legally just fine, and signed the wavier.   Can he still sue?  Isn't that what the wavier is for to protect the race from being sued?  

I wonder if there's plenty of witnesses out there that really said "DIVE DIVE DIVE" in the muddy pool. C'mon, would you really dive in a muddy pool that is 3 feet or so deep? 

I feel bad for the guy that got injured, but I think it was just an unfortunate accident.  People are sue happy, and that drives me nuts.

2012-05-18 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4216826

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
SurfingLamb - 2012-05-18 10:01 AM

Keep in mind, the legal document is his account of what happened.  

2012-05-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4216832

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

Yeah.  I tend to believe that no RD would ever "just ok" someone to participate without doing any of that.  And they'll have EVERYONE ELSE that they made sign a waiver as evidence.  I dunno...seems like a wild claim imo.

And the point about the guy depriving the race directors of a chance to warn him of the risks is 100% spot on.

2012-05-18 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4216677

Master
Los Angeles, CA
siberian - 2012-05-18 8:06 AM

One of the sad things about society is the sense of entitlement that has taken over.  Nothing is "my fault" any more, it's always "someone else's fault".   People spill hot coffee in their laps and sue restaurants for millions.  A group of drunk teenagers sneak into a random strangers pool late at night while the family isn't home and one of them accidentally drowns, and the homeowner gets sued.  A man steals a car and gets chased by the police.  He crashes the car into a telephone pole and sustains injuries.  He sues the police for forcing him to speed up and drive wrecklessly, he sues the telephone company for putting the pole "too close to the road", and he sues the owner of the car for leaving it unlocked thus "inviting" him to steal it.  This stuff actually happens. 

This is the kind of mentality we have to deal with now.  In the case of the endurance races, we all sign a waiver that says we assume the known risk of being in the race.  Now granted if there was some gross negligence on the part of the race director in a race you officially signed up for, and you got injured, that's another story.  If I signed up for a race and one of the life guards in a row boat intentionally whacked me in the head with an oar as I swam by, I think I might have valid reasons to seek justice.  But in the case of a guy who bandited a race and INTENTIONALLY IGNORED signing a waiver that WOULD HAVE MADE HIM AWARE OF THE ASSUMED RISKS HE WAS ABOUT TO EMBARK ON AND GIVEN HIM THE OPTION NOT TO PARTICIPATE, then he has no right to sue.  Plain and simple.  Period.   

Agreed.  Such a shame that we have people that take advantage...  They want big things, real fast, w/o doing the work to earn it.  Grrrr!

2012-05-18 12:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida

You guys probably better watch what you say about this guy, He may sue us !!  Cool

2012-05-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4216838

Master
Fulton, MD
thebigb - 2012-05-18 12:05 PM
SurfingLamb - 2012-05-18 10:01 AM

Keep in mind, the legal document is his account of what happened.  

Yeah, I don't buy this guy's story for a second. 

2012-05-18 1:24 PM

Read the court document...or some of it at least.

I agree that this is just the plaintifs account of what happened, and the RD could simply deny everything.

I think what will need to happen is if another participant can vouch for the plaintiff.  Saying that he or she also wanted to transfer someone elses registration, but was told they didn't need to.  Maybe the name of the person who provided that decision may also be required.  I don't think saying "some dude at the tent told me it was ok" will hold up in court.

The plaintif may also need other racers to confirm that these "spotters" were indeed encouraging participants to "dive" into the mud pit. 

Lastly...if this guy wins, who pays?  The guy wasn't a registered participant, so I assume the insurance bought for the race won't cover it.  Maybe if the RD has general insurance for his company?  I mean...it's not like you're suing Apple or Microsoft...the guy is just a RD.  How much money does he have?

2012-05-18 1:34 PM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
We've got to draw the line somewhere. If law suits like this win, even a few times, we won't have fun, risky events to participate in. For it to reach a level that I would sue, a race orginizer would have to plant a hidden hazard that harmed me. Maybe spikes on the bottom of the mud pit.
2012-05-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4217151

NC

DMarkSwan - 2012-05-18 2:34 PM For it to reach a level that I would sue, a race orginizer would have to plant a hidden hazard that harmed me. Maybe spikes on the bottom of the mud pit.

I think many people feel this way until faced with the reality that their family will face financial ruin if they don't receive money from somewhere.  Personally, I can think of plenty of possibilities that would prompt me to sue if injured during a race.  Here's one: on day one of a mud run, many people are injured on a certain obstacle because of a danger that is not apparent to racers (say a wet, downward sloping hold on the top of a wall).  RD knows about the injuries and the cause and does nothing.  Day two, I race and I'm seriously injured as a result of the hold.  I would have no problem holding the RD, and hopefully their insurance company, accountable for the failure to address a known danger.  Maybe I'll put it another way, let's say it was a kids race and the injured racer was your (royal) son or daughter.  

That's far less than spikes on the bottom of a mud pit.

2012-05-18 1:48 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

I'm racing next weekend and the bike course has a huge hill where you can pick up major speed on the downside.  So what if it rained a little right before I hit that hill, it was slippery and I bike crashed, got majorly injured.  Would I sue because after all, the event encouraged me to speed down this hill?  And it's slippery so that's not safe for anyone.  So I should sue the race, right?

Makes no sense.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » guy bandits race, gets injured Rss Feed  

of 3