General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing a hill on an SS vs a tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-18 9:32 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: Climbing a hill on an SS vs a tri bike

Good day everyone!

I commute to work with my SS and there is 3 hills on my way back. Now that I have been doing it for a few weeks, I am able to climb the hill in the saddle. Of course my cadence will be much slower near the top but at least I can do it without having to get out of the saddle. My goal is to keep the same cadence from top to bottom but it might be hard to reach but hopefully I'll be able to do it eventually. (my chairing is 44-16)

Since I am so used to keep pedaling with only one gear, I noticed during my last ride on my tri bike that I tend not to shift while going up a hill. Seems like it is natural for me just to 'smash' on my pedal instead of going into a little gear.

So.. is that a good thing or should I start to learn how to shift into a proper gear while attacking a hill to maintain the same cadence throughout the climb.

Anyone else commuting on a ss or FG? Do you find that it helps your cadence/speed when you ride your tri/road bike?

Thanks

Minh

2012-05-18 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4216616

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Climbing a hill on an SS vs a tri bike

I love riding my SS mtn bike-I don't have to think about what gear I'm in.....however;

Your tri bike has gears on it-you should learn to use them.   SS/FG riding reguires a different kind of power output; short, intense  bursts.   If you ride your tri bike the same way in a race, your legs will be totally shot for the run.  Use the gears to maintain a steady, comfortable cadence throughout the entire race-thus easier gears when you're climbing and taller gears when you're ripping downhill. 

Good Luck!

2012-05-18 10:24 AM

User image

I think it's best to be in the gear that gives you the optimum cadence for your power.  I think for most of us that's 80-100 rpm.  That being said, if it's a short hill, I often like to just mash on through.  How short is short enough is a matter of judgment, as for me I'm talking about 100-200 yards or so - just those pesky little rollers.  Anything longer than that I want to get into the right gear.  That being said, my 15-year old son shifts a lot less than I do and just mashes.  I'm scared of how fast he's going to be when he learns to shift properly.  For the record, I tell him he should shift more, but seeing as he's 15, he'll only listen to total strangers, not his dad.

2012-05-18 10:34 AM

Master
Northern IL
Learn to shift, that's what the gears are for. Ride the bikes the way they are intended to be ridden.
2012-05-19 11:38 PM

Regular
Seal Beach
I ride a HEAVY single speed daily commuter. I ride 16 miles a day, 6 of which are hill climbs on my lunch. When I get on my Cervelo after riding the SS, it feels like my bike isn't even there. I have noticed a HUGE decrease in my ride times by doing this, however, I pay attention to my cadence on the TT and adjust my gearing on hills.
2012-05-20 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Riding a single speed is about simplicity.

Riding a race bike is about efficiency. 

Sure, you might be able to hammer up that hill in your big ring, but are you better off having cashed that check now on the hill or saving some in the bank for the run?

2012-05-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4218883

User image

Pro
Hugh in TX - 2012-05-20 7:19 AM

Riding a single speed is about simplicity.

Riding a race bike is about efficiency. 

Great quote ^^^

There is no 'better' or 'worse'.  It all depends on your goals.  If you goal is to get to the top of the hill as fast as you can, then a higher cadence will probably do that.  however, I know guys that like to train in their big gear to work on strength.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing a hill on an SS vs a tri bike Rss Feed