General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training in Central PA (Mechanicsburg) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-19 4:00 PM

Subject: Bike training in Central PA (Mechanicsburg)
I live in Lower Allen Township (near the mall) and need a good route for cycling training. Right now I'm riding down Simpson Ferry but by the time I get through all the lights and traffic, I've spent 20 minutes of my workout time. Does anyone know of some good routes where I can avoid some lights and stop signs? Thanks.

2012-05-19 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4218304

Subject: RE: Bike training in Central PA (Mechanicsburg)
Lisburn road to 114w, to williams grove road down to York road and make a right, right on 174, right on trindle, right on Wesley drive back out to lisburn. Or take that route in reverse for less up hills. Plenty of places out back of mechanicsburg. You can even go down lewisberry road and around that area.
2012-05-20 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4218462

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
gnewton - 2012-05-19 7:30 PMLisburn road to 114w, to williams grove road down to York road and make a right, right on 174, right on trindle, right on Wesley drive back out to lisburn. Or take that route in reverse for less up hills. Plenty of places out back of mechanicsburg. You can even go down lewisberry road and around that area.
^^^These^^^ are good suggestions. If you don't mind driving a little, you can park at Mechanicsburg High School, and ride from there out around Boiling Springs. Another option is riding from Pinchot Park near Lewisberry.
2012-05-22 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4218462

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ridden down to Williams Grove then back to Simpson Ferry. I'll try the other routes.
2012-07-30 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4218304

Hey mate, I feel your pain! I live right in this area too. I struggle with this problem alot, as its either bike up lots of steep rolling hills/summits/mountains or  get stuck in the rush hour traffic on flat roads with many intersections. I usually start all  my rides up Reesers summit then head out to the York/Goldsboro/Pinchot park area. Yes its a tad bit hilly but the stress of stop and go and always being on edge with traffic is gone out there. 

My other suggestion would be to pack up the bike, throw it in the car and drive out  to Carlisle and bike towards  Shippensburg, but as fall approaches daylight will become an issue if your an evening rider.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training in Central PA (Mechanicsburg) Rss Feed