General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Dread Mon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-21 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: XTERRA Dread Mon

A new race this year part of a "Double" weekend down in Elephant Butte is the XTERRA (off road) Dread Mon on July 21st.  The second race, now in it's 3rd or 4th year, is the Dam it Man (road tri).

I went and pre-rode the Mtn bike course this weekend and can say this is gonna be a challenging fun event.  Both races are going to be a part of the Chasing3 Open Water Tri Series.

The bike route has changed quite a bit from what is shown online to make it more do-able based on what the RD said.  It is shorter (closer to 10 miles) and is essential 3 lollipops/loops connected by roads near the Damsite (including riding over the dam).

I'm planning on doing the double and from what I hear the XTERRA races are a lot of fun.

Check it out.

http://www.damitmantriathlon.com/

http://www.dreadmontriathlon.com/

2012-06-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4221468

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: XTERRA Dread Mon
While I was doing the road OLY in Moab my 23YO son became interested in the Xterra that was going on at the same time. I'll have to forward this to him.
2012-06-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4221468

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: RE: XTERRA Dread Mon

It will be my first XTERRA.  Based on what I heard from our resident MTB expert who previewed the course with us it is fairly tame. 

If you are familiar with Elephant Butte the transition is at "the Damsite", which currently sits 200-300 feet from the water.  The swim start will be deep water, 1/2 mile swim out and back and them climb a series of stairs/ramp to transition.  The bike starts on a trail behind the Damsite restaurant down to some trails along the lake shore.  You then climb back up and head north across the dam for a lollipop out in the desert on some rough 2 track with several substantial climbs that everyone will have to walk at some point.  Back across the dam to another lollipop with a short slick rock final descent.  The majority of the bike terrain has loose rock on it.  I didn't do the run but it is pretty short and probably contains some hiking.

I hear the atmosphere surrounding the XTERRA events is much more laid back and the RD's are great.  I signed up for the double, hopefully I survive.  FYI, The maps on the web are incorrect for the bike, they planned the course and could not get permission to rehab the trails in a timely fashion.

Should be fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Dread Mon Rss Feed