Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikes and Cars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-15 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: Bikes and Cars
I went out on a ride today, mixing it up again with those cars who don't seem to understand that there's a fragile sack of flesh and bones sitting on that bicycle that they're zooming past. I love riding, but I hate the occasional stupid idiot that won't give me room considering I'm a mere 185lbs stacked up against his/her 4000lb car. There are some really stupid people in the world. I was amost hit today, I felt the air from the mirror go past my thigh. Another idiot made a right turn immediately after passing me, forcing me to slam on my brakes to avoid t-boning them. Scared the crap out of me, but now I'm just mad. Georgia is the worst cause our city planners didn't decide to put sidewalks or bike lanes in until just the last few years. Not to mention, the drivers here are pretty impatient and rude.

Sorry to complain, but it just is very cathartic to get it out. We need another one of those "Share the Road" campaigns.

2004-06-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: #31500

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Bikes and Cars

That is terrible!  It's tough being in a big metro area - and not easy to get out of it! 

Sounds like you handled your bike well on the emergency stop!

2004-06-15 10:58 AM

New user

TORONTO, ONTARIO
Hey I hear you. I ride every day in Toronto's traffic nightmare, commuting and training. I have a life scare at least once a week. Its unfortunate that there arent more education campaigns put out by the government for vehicle drivers and cyclists. I also think alot of the problems stem from the fact that too many cyclists dont follow the rules of the road so many motorists dont know what to expect from cyclists when they approuch. I have driven every day since I moved here four years ago and have only been hit once...last year. I think thats pretty good considering most daily cyclists get hit or doored once a year. I drive confidently, I am always using hand signals so motorists know my intent, when in heavy traffic you should be able to keep up so stay in the middle of the lane, if driving along parked cars...use the middle of the lane for your safety, the cars can go around. Always obey the traffic laws, always be easy to see...lights, clothing, reflective strips. Finally always use caution when approuching an intersection where someone is attempting to make a left hand turn across your path...many motorists have difficulty anticipating your speed and may pull out causing an unwary cyclist to t-bone them.....well good luck and keep your head up.
2004-06-15 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
It is true that cyclists who ignore the rules of the road do make riding more difficult for us by antagonizing already ignorant car drivers. I often hear bone-headed motorists scream "get off the road" or "get on the sidewalk where you belong". These are simply ignorant bone-heads who do not know the rules of the road. I have been commuting to work for over 35 years and never cease to be amazed at the vacuusnous of many drivers on our roads. I've been ranted at, spit on, had lit cigarettes flicked at me, even been run over a few times but I keep on cycling! Hey! it's my right to right on the road and I assert that right.
2004-06-16 11:55 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
We had another hit and run today here in town.  It's getting out of control!!!!!!!!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikes and Cars Rss Feed