General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Armstrong Wins Ironman 70.3 Florida (w/cool photo). Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4223768

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Armstrong Wins Ironman 70.3 Florida (w/cool photo).
HonoluluAngel - 2012-05-22 6:26 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-22 3:42 PM

3. Armstrong had surgery on his saddle area as a result of his battle with cancer. The resultant surgery scars may influence his saddle and posture preference; he may like to sit a specific way to accomodate any anomolies he has since surgery. That may influence the angle of his pelvis on the bike.

an anomoly, such as one ball

It early, I haven't had coffee, and I just finished a pretty hard brick so that may account for my "punchiness", but that just make me laugh out loud! Juan Pelota Rules!!!

2012-05-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4224222

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

HonoluluAngel - 2012-05-22 11:30 PM My cycling friend and I were having a Lance debate, since he's racing in Hawaii we posed the hypothetical question: what if you were standing on the race course as Lance rode by and he threw a water bottle down, would you cherish it? Would you even wash it? My friend said if Lance threw a gel pack on the ground he'd frame it. LOL. Or I bet if his actual bike seat was on eBay it would be like $20,000. I noticed all Lance/Livestrong stuff is more expensive on eBay. He's the king!!!

Not sure what I'd do with it, but he'd get get penalized if he did, so I doubt I'd have the opportunity!

2012-05-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4224568

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Sous - 2012-05-23 5:54 AM

HonoluluAngel - 2012-05-22 11:30 PM My cycling friend and I were having a Lance debate, since he's racing in Hawaii we posed the hypothetical question: what if you were standing on the race course as Lance rode by and he threw a water bottle down, would you cherish it? Would you even wash it? My friend said if Lance threw a gel pack on the ground he'd frame it. LOL. Or I bet if his actual bike seat was on eBay it would be like $20,000. I noticed all Lance/Livestrong stuff is more expensive on eBay. He's the king!!!

Not sure what I'd do with it, but he'd get get penalized if he did, so I doubt I'd have the opportunity!

X2 - I was just reading the USAT rules the other day and remembered reading the part about nothing allowed to be left on the race course.  

2012-05-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4223269

User image

Veteran
Chicago
I don't get the Lance hate....cool photo!
2012-05-23 11:27 AM

User image

I just put that picture of him on my desktop wallpaper on my work computer, why? Becasue he is super bad a$$, think about it, he almost died from 3 different cancers at the same time, dominated the TdF for years and years, raised a ridiculous amount of money to fight cancer and help people, now is winning triathlons and the AGE OF 41!

IMO a better sports figure to follow and cheer on than most NFL and NBA thugs!

2012-05-23 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran

his left foot angle seems so steep.  i think he knows what he's doing though.

2012-05-23 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4225212

Veteran
Honolulu
Maybe people don't like him because of the alleged doping. I don't care if he did during his cycling career, because they all did it. In triathlon, however, it seems unfair if he did/does dope because they prob don't test and most other people don't dope. Lance is my biggest hero no matter what, even when he was like 35th in TDF after coming out of retirement. I am so happy he is doing tris now. If he beats Crowie in Kona that would be amazing. "I pity the fool"
2012-05-23 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4225231

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Armstrong is a funny guy.

When Lance wants lunch, it's time for lunch. That is the mentality it takes to put yourself at the center of things, to hold yourself to the standard to be best.

My take is that he is also fueled by anger. Push, he pushes back times ten. The media, WADA, cancer, other cyclists... they push him, he pushes back. He inhales controversy and criticism and exhales Tour de France victories, time trial wins, comebacks. He is like pushing against a hurricane. It's a waste of time, you'll only get blown over.

At the heart of him is a fighter. On a genetic level. A clever, resourceful, reserved and relentless fighter. As a fighter he has, and this is strictly my opinion, once or twice adopted the mindset that "the rules are, there are no rules". For a man put in his position from a single parent childhood to a cancer survivor that mentality is pretty easy to understand.

He had a falling out with two dear friends of mine, and I only met Lance himself a few times as a fan- before cancer, before massive stardom. I don't know him beyond my guesses from a distance.

That said, he is a sub-species of homo sapien we could call "homo-maximus", a fighter, a gladiator. While I always tend to side with friends in the conflict that swirls around him, I sense there is a good dude in there; a guy who is a fighter- which I admire- is the consummate tactician and a relentless adversary to his competitors. Those things I respect and admire.

With age, I think he'll reflect on his strengths and maybe his other aspects. He's a smart guy who does yearn for fairness. I wouldn't hold my breath for a mea culpa, and as it stands, there may not be a necessity for one...

I do, even tempered against that backdrop of friendship with his adversaries, admire Lance Armstrong for his accomplishments, unrelenting desire to win and unwillingness to succumb even to the frailties of our own physiology. His unrelenting, indominable spirit is stronger even than the human body.

2012-05-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4225389

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-23 10:38 AM

When Lance wants lunch, it's time for lunch. That is the mentality it takes to put yourself at the center of things, to hold yourself to the standard to be best.

My take is that he is also fueled by anger. Push, he pushes back times ten. The media, WADA, cancer, other cyclists... they push him, he pushes back. He inhales controversy and criticism and exhales Tour de France victories, time trial wins, comebacks. He is like pushing against a hurricane. It's a waste of time, you'll only get blown over.

At the heart of him is a fighter. On a genetic level. A clever, resourceful, reserved and relentless fighter. As a fighter he has, and this is strictly my opinion, once or twice adopted the mindset that "the rules are, there are no rules". For a man put in his position from a single parent childhood to a cancer survivor that mentality is pretty easy to understand.

He had a falling out with two dear friends of mine, and I only met Lance himself a few times as a fan- before cancer, before massive stardom. I don't know him beyond my guesses from a distance.

That said, he is a sub-species of homo sapien we could call "homo-maximus", a fighter, a gladiator. While I always tend to side with friends in the conflict that swirls around him, I sense there is a good dude in there; a guy who is a fighter- which I admire- is the consummate tactician and a relentless adversary to his competitors. Those things I respect and admire.

With age, I think he'll reflect on his strengths and maybe his other aspects. He's a smart guy who does yearn for fairness. I wouldn't hold my breath for a mea culpa, and as it stands, there may not be a necessity for one...

I do, even tempered against that backdrop of friendship with his adversaries, admire Lance Armstrong for his accomplishments, unrelenting desire to win and unwillingness to succumb even to the frailties of our own physiology. His unrelenting, indominable spirit is stronger even than the human body.

Tom, what do you do for a living.  This post was incredible.  Love the writing!  

I hope I have a percentage of whatever drives Lance.  I am in the process of finding that "fire in my belly" and I love the feeling.  

2012-05-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4225389

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-23 1:38 PM

Well Done Professor Tom.  Can I give you a cat?

No...that'd be wrong, that's your thing.

One thing's for sure, it'd sure be great if there were a few more like Lance coming up the ranks of the U-19 and U-23 circuits. 

2012-05-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4225228

Master
Memphis, TN
chrishayward - 2012-05-23 11:35 AM

his left foot angle seems so steep.  i think he knows what he's doing though.

I think it worked out for him.

That guy is an absolute freak of nature.  It will be very interesting following the championship this year.  You bet it will be aired with a little more fanfare than past years. 

I like his comments about the run "I tried to keep it within my self 5:45 - 5:50 per mile"

SWEET JESUS.  I can't do one mile that fast forget about 13.

2012-05-23 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4225125

User image

Payson, AZ
Muskrat37 - 2012-05-23 8:58 AM
Sous - 2012-05-23 5:54 AM

X2 - I was just reading the USAT rules the other day and remembered reading the part about nothing allowed to be left on the race course.  

Actually he could do it within the zones that are set out around the aid stations

2012-05-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4225458

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"his left foot angle seems so steep.  i think he knows what he's doing though."

the "Big Mig" influence...

(Lance Armstrong and "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain are contemporaries and shared conversations about training, racing and technique).

2012-05-23 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Chris Horner has the weird left foot thing....
2012-05-23 2:17 PM

Master
, California

In triathlon, however, it seems unfair if he did/does dope because they prob don't test and most other people don't dope.

They do test.

I don't know the prevalence of doping in triathlon, but I'll say anytime there's money involved, even a small amount, there are some willing to try to cheat the system.

2012-05-23 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

I know you all discussed this earlier, but I can't wrap my head around riding at 28 mph without sunglasses.  Well, I can't wrap my head around riding at 28 mph at all, but especially not without sunglasses.  My eyeballs would last about a mile.

2012-05-23 2:31 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Ok he is human afterall

(375x270pCENTERxTOP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
(0KB - 17 downloads)
375x270pCENTERxTOP.jpg (18KB - 28 downloads)
2012-05-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4223494

User image

Extreme Veteran

GoFaster - 2012-05-22 3:20 PM I know it's tough to really tell at that angle, but it doesn't appear he runs all that much drop.  Just a comment, nothing more.

3 things I have read recently

1) You only get about 2watts per cm drop as confirmed by the Cervelo guys

2) There is a point where too much drop is less aero as mentionned by the Fitwerks guys in a recent article

3) The more drop, the more the hip angle is closed, the harder it is to generate power.

Some people would have you thinking that if your chin rubs against the front tire you are invisible to air. I suspect Lance found the perfect balance between power and aero.

2012-05-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4225765

User image

Elite
Ontario
marcag - 2012-05-23 3:57 PM

GoFaster - 2012-05-22 3:20 PM I know it's tough to really tell at that angle, but it doesn't appear he runs all that much drop.  Just a comment, nothing more.

3 things I have read recently

1) You only get about 2watts per cm drop as confirmed by the Cervelo guys

2) There is a point where too much drop is less aero as mentionned by the Fitwerks guys in a recent article

3) The more drop, the more the hip angle is closed, the harder it is to generate power.

Some people would have you thinking that if your chin rubs against the front tire you are invisible to air. I suspect Lance found the perfect balance between power and aero.

I agree - there is lots out there to say lower is not necessarily faster/better for the rider.  The position in this pic is certainly not extreme, and you know it's been wind tunnel tested.

2012-05-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4225414

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Muskrat37 - 2012-05-23 12:49 PM

I hope I have a percentage of whatever drives Lance.  I am in the process of finding that "fire in my belly" and I love the feeling.  

I'll give you a hint...  Its in his signature and I believe he does a fair bit of writing as part of that job.  

Big Tom fan here.    (oh and big lance fan too, but bigger Tom fan)

2012-05-23 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4225864

Master
, California
tuwood - 2012-05-23 1:33 PM

I'll give you a hint...  Its in his signature and I believe he does a fair bit of writing as part of that job.  

Admit it, you just like the cats.

2012-05-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4225864

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
tuwood - 2012-05-23 1:33 PM

Doh! Open the eyes Skrat, open the eyes.  

2012-05-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4224524

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Birkierunner - 2012-05-23 8:31 AM
mrbbrad - 2012-05-22 2:21 PM
fisherman76 - 2012-05-22 3:08 PM

Did anyone *really* expect anything different from one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen? Let's not forget this guy's career - he 'became a cyclist' because he was 'pretty good on the bike' during that leg in triathlons *when he was younger*. He WON his FIRST triathlon entered, at age 13. He had already proven himself as a freakishly good swimmer. Think his mind is a little weak? You might have forgotten about the CANCER. 

He's a total freak, and really fun to watch, but I'm also an unabashed Yankees fan, so I tend to enjoy the behemoths of sport.

Insert PED joke here

yeah, this is the interwebs where most things are fair game, and yeah its in sarc font, and yeah, maybe its meant to be in jest...but why even go there?...I mean, seriously....there's tons of other threads that discuss this crap.....

Come on; he's a big fan of the Yankees and Lance, two entities with plenty of controversy regarding PEDs. Too much of a softball to let it pass with no mention at all.

2012-05-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4223636

User image

Regular
Canton, TX

Muskrat37 - 2012-05-22 4:13 PM I wonder how much those wheels cost?

Edited by txjp 2012-05-23 4:37 PM
2012-05-23 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4225765

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Armstrong Wins Ironman 70.3 Florida (w/cool photo). Rss Feed  

of 4