General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Palm Beach County, FL - Newb in Training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-30 10:44 PM

User image

Jupiter, FL
Subject: Palm Beach County, FL - Newb in Training!
Hello ladies and gents! I have always wanted to do a tri since elementary school. I was into swimming and bicycling but never did one.

I've decided that now is the time. I'm 28, and have been jogging and cycling for the last 1 1/2 years. I've done two days of swim training in the last week. Needless to say, Its tough! I can't imagine doing all three back to back.

I am so glad I found this site. I downloaded the 16 week sprint, 3x balanced training program, and realized that I should be able to start at the 2nd month, given that I can do 20 minutes of swimming, 25 minutes of jogging and 40 minutes of cycling.

I was going to aim for the August 7 "Loggerhead Triathalon" in Jupiter, but I am not sure I will be ready for it. I'm going to train my hardest for the next two months and see where I'm at.

I'm going to join the Running Sports Racing Club in Juno Beach.

My short term goal is to do a 5k at the end of June.

Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this community. I'll get a pic up soon! Talk to you all later!

2006-05-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: #438672

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Palm Beach County, FL - Newb in Training!
Congrats on deciding to tri...you'll be hooked soon!!  Welcome to BT...
2006-05-31 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
August gives you plenty of time to get ready for your first tri, especially if your goal is to finish. Take advantage of the time you do have. It will make it easier come race day! Have fun!
2006-05-31 5:55 PM

User image

Jupiter, FL
Thanks for all the encouragement! I joined the Running Sports Racing Triathalon Club today and got my team singlet I have a swim scheduled for 7 am tomorrow morning and an appt with my bicycle tomorrow evening.

I'll check back and let ya'll know how its going

-edward
2006-06-01 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

Welcome to BT!  You'll be fine for the Loggerhead Tri.  I know some people here did it last year, you can look at their race reports to see what it was like.  I'd like to do it but I don't like to swim in the ocean.  It makes it very hard to find tris to do down here.

There's a 5K at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek July 1st, but that's kind of far if you're in north PB County.  I'm sure there's one closer to you.  I'm in Boca so I'll usually travel as far north as Palm Beach and as far south as Ft. Lauderdale for a race.  I would go farther for a tri though - especially if there was one in nice, clear lake water with no gators.

How did your swim go this morning?

2006-06-01 2:00 PM

User image

Jupiter, FL
I started the Beginner Swim Program, Month 1 today. 500m total. The workout went well. I didnt' tire near as quickly as I did last week.

I have a question regarding one of the workouts, however.

The "Catchup." According to the article, The Catchup is "using the pull buoy, complete a stroke with one arm before beginning the next stroke with the opposite arm. Concentrate on a smooth stroke with high elbows."

I assume that I am to start with hands at my side and do a full stroke returning my arm to my side. Then do the other arm. I guess I should breath while I'm doing the stroke like I normally would. It was a bit awkward to say the least. And top it off, I was the ONLY person in the pool with 2 lifeguards on duty! lol I was feeling a bit self conscious. haha

Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

2006-06-01 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
The Catch-up drill I'm familiar with has you start with both arms forward. Complete a catch, pull, and recovery with one arm. That arm is finished when your hands are back together out front. Then do the other arm. The concept you're working on is making your body longer. A longer body moves faster. The drill CAN be done without a pull buoy or any other pool toy. I do it with Zoomer swim fins or nothing.And, oh...welcome to BT. Sounds like you're on the right track to be ready for your first tri in August.Good luck!
2006-06-01 11:46 PM
in reply to: #440850

User image

Jupiter, FL
Thanks JornJM. That makes sense. Next swim session should be much easier. I've got a ladder to do, starting with 50 warmup, then50, 75, 100, 75, 50. followed by a 50 cooldown for a total of 500.

Cycling later in the afternoon the same day as the swim was hard to get motivated for, but once i did it, i felt pretty good. 5 min warm up, 30 min ride at 17.5-18 mph (HR at 135-140ish) and a 7 min or so cooldown.

I've been ravenous the last few weeks as I've stepped things up a bit. Still got about 5-10 lbs bouncing around in my love handle area which is a pain in the I'm sure It'll start to melt away soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Palm Beach County, FL - Newb in Training! Rss Feed