General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My first triathlon is less than a month away! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-30 1:05 PM

Subject: My first triathlon is less than a month away!

I stumbled upon this site while trying to do more triathlon research and it has a lot of good advice.

Last week, I signed up for my first triathlon. It's a .62 mile swim, 17.5 mile bike, and 3.4 mile run. I have been wanting to do a triathlon since I ran my first marathon a few years back, but my limited swimming ability has scared me away. I finally decided to sign up for one, the only way that I would ever work to learn how.

I always tell people "I swim well enough not to drown" and I am still learning how. I did a total of 22 laps in the pool yesterday morning (roughly half my distance I'll need), then followed right after with a 17 mile bike and a 3 mile run. I know it's all indoors and not the same, but it was pretty encouraging that I could do that with only a week of training.

Any advice for helping improve my swim? The biggest thing I need to learn is the breathing. I lift my head up too much instead of turning it to the side. I don't really get "tired" so much as out of breath. I'm worried that during the race, I'll need a breather and have no where to go.

My goal is to NOT finish near the bottom, but also to complete it and have fun. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the idea of it, as it is definitely something I would like to get more into.

2012-05-30 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4235624

Subject: RE: My first triathlon is less than a month away!

Hi!  I'm new here too and my first race is also a month away (although mine is swim and run only).  Good work on the practice triathlon! Smile  I think the only advice I can give you for swimming is to picture your head rotating on an axis from the top of your head to your feet.  There should be no lifting, and really you only turn your head enough to get your mouth clear of the water (don't be trying to look upwards or anything).  And remember that you are looking mostly down and only a tiny bit forward when swimming freestyle; don't make the mistake of pointing your face forward as you swim.

Good luck!!

2012-05-31 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4235624

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: RE: My first triathlon is less than a month away!

Welcome to BT and signing up for your first tri! 

My best advise to you regarding swimming is either take some swimming lessons or join a Masters class.  They will give you a lot of good advise/pointers on your technique and I've heard of huge improvements from local tri friends who've done this.  The old adage, practise, practise, practise and technique, technique, technique really applies to swimming.  Learning to relax in the water is a big thing, and then learning to breath properly (i.e., on the side is important too).  For open water swims you will need to sight ahead every now and again (landmarks/buoys etc) by lifting your head slightly out of the water, so getting used to this as well is good.  It's also good to breath out underwater, therefore you need less time when you roll your head to one side to take a breath.  The most important thing though is learning how often to breath.  So many people take a lot of strokes with their head underwater before they take a quick breath, and it's the quickest way to tire yourself out.  Breath as often as you need to - it was one of the most important lessons I ever learnt!

You certainly sound like you can do the whole thing, with your trainining-triathlon a couple of days ago, very impressive.  I think that qualifies as a "double brick", which means you are truly insane, and means that I have absolutely no doubt that you will be a triathlete very soon, and for some time to come. Laughing  Have people warned you how utterly addictive it is - but it's so much fun, both the training and the racing. 

Don't worry about the OWS as there are always lots of volunteer kayaks/paddleboards/boats to help you out if you need a break or get into a bit of trouble.  Just raise your arm, or swim over to one, and they are happy to help you out, as this happens fairly commonly.  If you're wearing a wetsuit you can just stop and float as they are so incredibly bouyant.  And remember that you don't have to do freestyle - backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke - anything goes and I've seen it all in triathlons.

Finish the race with a huge smile on your face, have fun and be proud of all your achievements! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My first triathlon is less than a month away! Rss Feed