General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-31 4:04 AM

User image

København N, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: Mental Training

Hi everyone,

So I am training for my first ironman this August and since I know it will be quite a bit harder than the HIM I have already done I was wondering what you all did to train the mental aspect of it? How you cope with this on race day?

As for me last my first HIM was a blast, I had so much fun, and didn't really run into a lot of problems. What did work for me though was cheering on the other contestants, mostly because I really didn't want to have them pass me again later after that so just kept going. Also since I was having such a great time, I was all smiles, which though it sounds cheesy made things so much more positive. Pretty sure that tactic might be hard pressed during the last 20km or so of the ironman though...

What do you guys do?

Lonnie

2012-05-31 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4236565

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Mental Training
Race day is just so many things. Different experiences at different times of the day. Really it's just about being "in the moment." None of the "I got 100 miles to go..." stuff. Just concentrating on whatever the next milestone is, and on hydration/fueling/pacing. As for the last 20km, I found it became very social. Talked with other athletes - cheered each other on. Was friendly with the spectators and volunteers. Smiling is great. Just take it all in and enjoy it.

Which Ironman?
2012-06-05 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Preparation for an IM mentally....I think just sort of happens if you train consistently for it. Mentally, the training was way harder than the actual race for me. I'll offer also that the mental toughness developed was not limited to only training. The changes were welcomed in all aspects of my life.  So, don't slack on the training. When you don't want to get up early, cause you're just tired, get up. When you want to walk the last mile of your run, keep running. When you want to cut your bike ride short by 20 minutes, don't. When you don't want to do 10 minutes of interval work in the middle of your run...do it anyway. When you don't want to rest, rest.  As far as race day is concerned...great advice above
2012-06-05 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

For an IM, I think it helps to do some of your long rides and runs alone.  Even though there are all the other athletes around you on race day, it can still get lonely out there.  Training alone can help you be prepared for when it happens.

2012-06-05 1:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
One of the best articles I've read on the subject.
2012-06-05 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4245961

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
TriMyBest - 2012-06-05 10:52 AM

For an IM, I think it helps to do some of your long rides and runs alone.  Even though there are all the other athletes around you on race day, it can still get lonely out there.  Training alone can help you be prepared for when it happens.

^^This.

Training in a group is great for helping motivate you to train, but when things go south on race day, it gets very, very, lonely and you need to be able to be your own biggest supporter to keep going.

2012-06-05 3:31 PM

User image

Master

Since someone else already linked to the 4 keys from EN, there isn't much for me to add.

Having a rough plan of how your race should go helps. Check yourself every 15-20 minutes and think...what do I need to do now to be OK in 20 minutes.

And of course, being well trained, with reasonable expectations.

2012-06-06 9:46 PM

If you do your training and taper right, you should be well rested, and very anxious to get things rolling that day. Know that it's an Ironman, not baseball, so it will be hard. When it gets hard, recognize it and work with it. Visualization is a wonderful tool. I write about it in my book, a memoir on conquering yourself, THe Competitor in Me.
2012-06-09 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4248941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Like someone else said, visualization helps a lot. I took up meditation last year because I was freaking out too much. I trained alone all year so it was really boring. Meditation helped calm me through all the stress and visualizing the race helped me prepare for what to expect. I'd visualise every aspect of the race and everyday imagine something going wrong.. like image someone kicked you in the face and knocked off your goggles. Then id imagine how I "should" deal with it.. stop.. catch my goggles, put it back on, take a breath and carry on.. or pull out the extra pair I stashed in my suit. Then visualise the perfect race from then on. Next tine visualize getting a flat tire.. play it out step by step how you'd deal with this down to the tiniest detail. By the time race day came, I experienced ever scenario in my head and knew if anything happened I'd be prepared. Race day came and it was great, just think of it as another training day with thousands of new friends. Stay positive stay in the moment and enjoy it, if you've done the training the race itself is easy. Think of it as a celebration for all the suffering you've done.
2012-06-10 6:28 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Almost everyone who makes the start is mentally tough.  The long days and high volume training teach you to put your head down and get it done.  The people who are walking the run with that beat down look in their eyes aren't less tough.  They are experiencing the results of poor race planning and execution.  You can get away with this in the shorter distances, but not in an Ironman.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Training Rss Feed