General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a New Lifting Routine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-01 8:53 AM

Subject: Building a New Lifting Routine

I'm looking to develop a new workout plan, I feel like I havn't been making a whole lot of progress lately.

Background Info:
I'm 18 years old
I've been lifting for 2+ years now
I'm not really big or strong, but I've made a whole lot of progress from where I started (Couldn't bench 90lbs)
I have some issues with my knees (patellofemoral syndrome) and calves. When these issues flare up I have to be gentle on my legs.

Weight: 150
Height: 5' 10'' ish
Max Bench 185
Max Pull ups 23

Goal:
I'm looking to develop a new workout plan. I've always liked to do my cardio based on how I feel and how my schedule is, so I only want to make lifting strictly built into the schedule. Leg workouts interrupt with my triathlon training more than upper body workouts, but I definitely want to do leg workouts during tri season. I used to work out six days a week with a high number of exercises--I enjoyed lifting that way, but doubt its effectiveness.

I'm willing to workout for whatever duration, frequency, and split that would get me the best results.

Any suggestions for the program?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by ChrisSmith1494 2012-06-01 8:55 AM

2012-06-01 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4238889

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Building a New Lifting Routine
Why not check out a tried and true program?  5x5, 5/3/1, German Volume Training, DoggCrap, West Side for Skinny Ba$tards, etc.  They all work and have pretty set schedules so you can work any cardio/tri training in around.
2012-06-01 11:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
ChrisSmith1494 - 2012-06-01 9:53 AM

I'm looking to develop a new workout plan, I feel like I havn't been making a whole lot of progress lately.

Background Info:
I'm 18 years old
I've been lifting for 2+ years now
I'm not really big or strong, but I've made a whole lot of progress from where I started (Couldn't bench 90lbs)
I have some issues with my knees (patellofemoral syndrome) and calves. When these issues flare up I have to be gentle on my legs.

Weight: 150
Height: 5' 10'' ish
Max Bench 185
Max Pull ups 23

Goal:
I'm looking to develop a new workout plan. I've always liked to do my cardio based on how I feel and how my schedule is, so I only want to make lifting strictly built into the schedule. Leg workouts interrupt with my triathlon training more than upper body workouts, but I definitely want to do leg workouts during tri season. I used to work out six days a week with a high number of exercises--I enjoyed lifting that way, but doubt its effectiveness.

I'm willing to workout for whatever duration, frequency, and split that would get me the best results.

Any suggestions for the program?

Thanks,

Chris

what exactly does that mean? Are you looking to gain strength, get bigger, more functionally strong?

you seem to be exactly what i was when i was 18. i actualy wish i was doing then what i do now resistance training wise.

2012-06-03 11:06 AM

"what exactly does that mean? Are you looking to gain strength, get bigger, more functionally strong?"

I guess I'm looking for all three. I do want functional strength, but I've read some things that basically argue that lifting specifically for "functional training" doesn't really transfer over to the actual activity.

If I had to preference one, I'd rather get stronger than bigger.

2012-06-03 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

if you want to gain strength over size, but still get a little bigger i would do a 10/8/6 pyramid on all your lifts.  here is how i break it down by day at the moment:

1) chest/tricepts: dumbell bench, incline dumbell bench, dips, triceps extensions, chest flys

2) bicep/back: preacher curls, cable pulls, hammer curls, dumbell pulls, cable curls

3) shoulders: dumbell press, upright rows(bench bar), front raises, side raises, reverse chest flys

4) legs: squats, leg extensions, calf raises, hamstring curl, lunges

add a core workout every other day.  this is probably not the best, just what i do.  anyone who thinks they have "the best" workout, doesn't.  i know i am lacking in a few areas but it works for me.  i don't do chest/tricepts before a swim workout, and i won't do legs before a hard cycling workout; i like running afterwards to push the acid out though.  find something you like, i am constantly changing it up. 

EDIT: i weigh ~160 and am ~5' 10".  you can check my workout logs for what i lift. i know you gave a max bench press of 185 and my dumbell press lifts don't add up to that much, but i stopped doing bench press at a max of 245 and am stronger than i was when i switched to DB press.  i prefer the dumbell to bar because it works more secondary muscles. 

Edited by Clempson 2012-06-03 10:52 PM
2012-06-04 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Strength wise I'd start with 5x5 after that I'd move into 5/3/1 or Sheiko.  These are fairly programmed setups because they work. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a New Lifting Routine Rss Feed