General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-31 10:03 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping

Main Entry: ven·det·ta
Pronunciation: ven-'de-t&
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian, literally, revenge, from Latin vindicta -- more at VINDICTIVE
 (1) an often prolonged series of retaliatory, vengeful, or hostile acts or exchange of such acts vendetta against those who opposed his nomination> (2) Dick Pound, WADA, the French laboratory, the French Ministry of Sport, L'Equipe, and others who could not stand an American dominating a largely European sport.

Report exonorates Armstrong of doping

By ARTHUR MAX, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

Lance Armstrong called it a "witch hunt" from the very beginning, saying a French newspaper used dubious evidence to accuse him of doping — even charging that lab officials mishandled his samples and broke the rules.

According to a Dutch investigator's findings released Wednesday, he may have been right.

The report, commissioned late last year by the International Cycling Union, cleared the record seven-time Tour de France champion of allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his first win in 1999.

It said tests on urine samples were conducted improperly and fell so short of scientific standards that it was "completely irresponsible" to suggest they "constitute evidence of anything."

The investigation also concluded that the French laboratory that handled the samples and the World Anti-Doping Agency "violated applicable rules on athlete confidentiality by commenting publicly on the alleged positive findings."

The report recommended convening a tribunal to discuss possible legal and ethical violations by WADA, which is headed by Dick Pound, and to consider "appropriate sanctions to remedy the violations."

The French sports daily L'Equipe reported in August that six of Armstrong's urine samples taken in 1999 came back positive for the endurance-boosting hormone EPO when they were retested in 2004.

Armstrong has repeatedly denied using banned substances.

In a statement Wednesday, he said he was pleased that the investigation confirms "what I have been saying since this witch hunt began: Dick Pound, WADA, the French laboratory, the French Ministry of Sport, L'Equipe, and the Tour de France organizers ... have been out to discredit and target me without any basis and falsely accused me of taking performance enhancing drugs in 1999.

"Today's comprehensive report makes it clear that there is no truth to that accusation."

The ICU appointed Dutch lawyer Emile Vrijman last October to investigate the handling of the urine tests by the French national anti-doping laboratory.

Vrijman said Wednesday his report "exonerates Lance Armstrong completely with respect to alleged use of doping in the 1999 Tour de France."

The 132-page report said no proper records were kept of the samples, there had been no "chain of custody" guaranteeing their integrity, and no way of knowing whether the samples had been "spiked" with banned substances.

Pound said he hadn't received the report yet but, based on what he had read in news accounts, was critical of Vrijman's findings.

"It's clearly everything we feared. There was no interest in determining whether the samples Armstrong provided were positive or not," he told The Associated Press by telephone from Montreal.

"Whether the samples were positive or not, I don't know how a Dutch lawyer with no expertise came to a conclusion that one of the leading laboratories in the world messed up on the analysis. To say Armstrong is totally exonerated seems strange," Pound said.

Armstrong had challenged the validity of testing samples frozen six years ago, and how they were handled. EPO, or erythropoietin, is a synthetic hormone that boosts the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. Testing for EPO only began in 2001.

"The report confirms my innocence, but also finds that Mr. Pound along with the French lab and the French ministry have ignored the rules and broken the law," Armstrong said.

Vrijman said a tribunal should be created to "provide a fair hearing" to the people and organizations suspected of misconduct and to decide on sanctions if warranted.

In a statement separate from Pound's comments, WADA expressed "grave concern and strong disappointment" over Vrijman's reported comments.

"WADA continues to stress its concern that an investigation into the matter must consider all aspects — not limited to how the damaging information regarding athletes' urine samples became public, but also addressing the question of whether anti-doping rules were violated by athletes," the statement said.

___

AP Sports Writer Stephen Wilson in London contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

2006-06-01 12:30 AM
in reply to: #439875

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping
I am really glad to see that has finally been put to rest.
2006-06-01 2:43 AM

User image

Regular
Unbelievable Krimewave
Sounds to me like this will just run & run.

WADA, Dick Pound et al seem non too convinced.

It's enough for me though, I never beleived he would Dope in the first place.
I am really not surprised to hear there was no chain of custody with the samples and they could well have been spiked.

I wonder if the Liberty Seguros affair will maybe take some of the focus away from this.
2006-06-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #439942

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Bug-a-Lugs - 2006-06-01 3:43 AM I wonder if the Liberty Seguros affair will maybe take some of the focus away from this.

Was curious, so I Googled and found the following article. Reading through the article, apparently the athletes had their blood withdrawn, altered through some process and then injected back into them prior to a race ... ugh!

A process such as that make the agony of defeat appealing.

anti-doping investigation

Liberty Seguros ends sponsorship of cycling team

05/25/2006

Liberty Seguros announced Thursday it is ending its sponsorship of theteam, saying the arrest of Saiz hurts "our name and the name of cycling."
Manuel Saiz
Manuel Saiz

Liberty Seguros has withdrawn its sponsorship of the professional cycling team of the same name, it said in a statement on Thursday.

The insurance company cited the detention of the team's sporting director Manolo Saiz in a doping investigation in Spain as the reason for its decision.

"As sponsors, Liberty Seguros have always wanted to promote a culture of fair play and zero tolerance with respect to doping," read the statement. "In November 2005 after the suspension of a rider (Roberto Heras) for doping we made our contract one of the most rigorous with regard to this subject.

"The implications and consequences of the detention of Manolo Saiz are highly worrying; they damage our name and the name of cycling." "We have cancelled our agreement with the owners of the team (Active Bay) and will respect outstanding financial obligations." Spanish television reported the contract was worth 8 million euros ($10.2 million).

Saiz was detained this week with doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who has collaborated with a number of cycling teams in recent years, and three others in what Spanish media have described as the country's biggest anti-doping investigation.

The investigation

Police probing a drug scandal in Spanish cycling found lists with the names of more than 100 top-level athletes who allegedly used the services of doctors offering doping procedures, authorities said Thursday.

Civil Guard spokesman Jose Manuel Gallego would not confirm or deny a report in the newspaper El Pais that the names of elite foreign cyclists, not just Spaniards, were on the lists. Five people were arrested in this week's raids.

Police also filmed athletes arriving at a Madrid apartment building apparently to have blood extracted for doping purposes or to pick up performance-enhancing drugs. "They are high-level athletes. The lesser ones don't do this because it is expensive," Gallego told The Associated Press in a telephone interview, adding the probe continues and more arrests are possible.

Police seized large amounts of steroids, hormones and the endurance-boosting substance EPO, as well as 100 bags of frozen blood and equipment for treating blood, the Civil Guard said in a statement. They also found documents on doping procedures performed on cyclists, it said.

The investigation began in February. Police acting with a court order set up a secret camera at the door of a Madrid apartment building where athletes showed up for treatment, Gallego said.

Blood doping is a procedure in which blood is extracted from an athlete, centrifuged to extract a concentration of oxygen-rich red blood cells and then injected back into the athlete before competition to boost performance.

http://www.eitb24.com/portal/eitb24/noticia/en/sports/anti-doping-investigation-liberty-seguros-ends-sponsorship-of-cyc?itemId=D33286&cl=%2Feitb24%2Fdeportes&idioma=en

2006-06-01 9:04 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
You don't surf cup of joe much do you Brian ..... ;-P

What is the best is that the "private investigator" leaked the story to the press before he sent it to the UCI and WADA. That's just hilarious!!

www.cyclingnews.com
2006-06-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: #440118

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Daremo - 2006-06-01 10:04 AM You don't surf cup of joe much do you Brian ..... ;-P What is the best is that the "private investigator" leaked the story to the press before he sent it to the UCI and WADA. That's just hilarious!! www.cyclingnews.com  

CoJ often scares me ... I did however check out the Lance Armstrong thread, I believe the latest post is extolling the virtues of Birkenstocks.

I bet that the investigating attorney leaked the findings to the press b/c he knew that the UCI would kowtow to the Tour de France, Dick Pound and the others who are bent on not letting the facts get in their way.

I am within 10 pages of finishing the biography "Lance Armstrong's War", Daniel Coyle.  There is an interesting tidbit in the book that states that a standard clause in Lance Armstrong's endorsement contracts state that they would be nullified and there would be monetary damage if Lance were found guilty of doping. 

His bonus pay out for the sixth TdF title was $10m. That alone is a pretty solid economic reason not to use EPO or other performance enhancing drugs.

Here is a copy of the story in today's Cycling News for folks that want to read it:

First Edition Cycling News for June 1, 2006

Edited by Jeff Jones and Anthony Tan

UCI, WADA and Armstrong react to Vrijman's report

By Jeff Jones

There has been a slew of press releases issued on Wednesday afternoon in the wake of the leaking of Dutch lawyer Emile Vrijman's 132-page report on the 1999 Tour de France urine sample case. Ironically, Mr. Vrijman's report found its way into the Dutch press before the UCI or WADA saw it - much to the annoyance of both sporting bodies.

The report recommended that Armstrong should be cleared of any suspicion surrounding the retrospective testing of his blood samples from the 1999 Tour de France, where were claimed by L'Equipe to have contained EPO. It denounced the manner in which the doping laboratory in Châtenay-Malabry carried out its research, as well as questioning the ethics of World Anti-Doping Agency chairman, Dick Pound.

The UCI's response was tinged with more than a little frustration, as it had appointed Mr. Vrijman to do the investigation in the first place. "The International Cycling Union has learned with great surprise the declarations conveyed to the Dutch press by Mr. Emile Vrijman, independent investigator within the context of the urine sample analysis during the 1999 Tour de France case," the statement read.

"The UCI firmly deplores the behaviour of Mr. Vrijman, who has prematurely voiced, offending the agreements that foresaw that all parties implied would be informed before any public comment on the report content would be done. Still waiting the receive the definite version of the said report written by Mr. Vrijman, the UCI underlines its deep displeasure with regards to the regrettable development of this case."

The UCI finished by stating that it will study the contents of the report in detail before publishing it in full.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) statement was similarly disapproving, most of all at the fact that the report criticised WADA's ethics in the case. "The World Anti-Doping Agency expresses grave concern and strong disappointment following media reports in which Dutch lawyer Emile Vrijman, who was appointed by the International Cycling Union (UCI) to investigate urine samples collected from the 1999 Tour de France, criticises anti-doping authorities," read WADA's statement.

"WADA is not in a position to comment at this time other than to state that elementary courtesy and professionalism would have dictated that WADA should have been provided with a copy of the report before interviews were given to the media.

"WADA continues to stress its concern that an investigation into the matter must consider all aspects - not limited to how the damaging information regarding athletes' urine samples became public, but also addressing the question of whether anti-doping rules were violated by athletes. WADA will respond in due course once it has fully reviewed the report."

In addition, WADA president Dick Pound was quoted by the Associated Press as saying, "It's clearly everything we feared. There was no interest in determining whether the samples Armstrong provided were positive or not. We were afraid of that from the very beginning."

The only party who was happy with the report was Lance Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner who was implicated by the L'Equipe article. In his statement, Armstrong thanked Mr Vrijman and his staff for their "hard work and diligence in this process. I have not had an opportunity to study the report yet, but I wanted to let you know my preliminary reactions to the report," said Armstrong.

"Although I am not surprised by the report’s findings, I am pleased that they confirm what I have been saying since this witch-hunt began: Dick Pound, WADA, the French laboratory, the French Ministry of Sport, L’Equipe, and the Tour de France organizers (ASO) have been out to discredit and target me without any basis and falsely accused me of taking performance enhancing drugs in 1999. Today’s comprehensive report makes it clear that there is no truth to that accusation.

"The report confirms my innocence, but also finds that Mr. Pound along with the French lab and the French ministry have ignored the rules and broken the law. They have also refused to cooperate with the investigation in an effort to conceal the full scope of their wrongdoing. I have now retired, but for the sake of all athletes still competing who deserve a level playing field and a fair system of drug testing, the time has come to take action against these kinds of attacks before they destroy the credibility of WADA and, in turn, the international anti-doping system."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun01news

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping Rss Feed