General Discussion Race Reports! » Hveragerdi TRI -Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hveragerdi TRI -Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hveragerði,
Iceland
Total Time = 3h 11m 25s
Overall Rank = 5/6
Age Group = F16-39
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went very well. I was on a lane with Trausti and 2 english guys and after we started all together I went into the back and drafted all 3 guys. Trausti and one english guy got a 4-5 stroke lead after 100m and I kept drafting the other one but he slowed down a bit after 300m so I overtook him and then it was too late to catch the other two again as they had about 10m lead and they slowly increased that. So it was swimming alone from 300m on which was OK as I just found my own rhythm and controlled the swim quite good. After about 800m my thigh muscles started to cramp a bit during every push of the wall and that made me really worried for the bike and run and I slowly changed my race strategy completely. I knew I had to take it very easy on the bike to be able to run the whole run with my thigh muscles already acting up like this. Trausti and the english guy lapped me with 200m to go and I was able to draft them for their last 100m and then I had 100 more to go. I started to increase the kicking a little to get the legs going.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

This was really long considering the fact that the transition area was right by the pool but I needed to put on compression calf guards and that took forever!! I also didn't stress much about it and somehow just took my time.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 2s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.82 km/hr
Comments:

Biking was crazy! Was out of the city in no time and then the wind hit hard. It was pretty much side wind the entire time and gusting quite nasty and it was tough at times to keep the bike steady. Twice I was pretty close of getting blown of the bike especially when a truck overtook me, broke the side wind for a second and then when it had passed the wind just hit full force. No fun! On the way out I was mostly in my small chain ring, trying to spin out the upcoming cramps in my thighs. I nver pushed hard and despite the wind felt comfortable the entire time and I knew I needed to do this to survive the run so I had no problems holding back. After 13km there was a left turn straight into the headwind and the speed dropped to under 20km/h and I was almost in my lowest gear! It reminded me of a Tri in Grindavik 5 years ago where the wind was up to 70mph but there we were during square laps in the city so the wind changed all the time. I kept counting down the km to the turnaround and was hoping to get a break in the tailwind on the way back.

I turned around after 47 minutes and the first few km there was that tailwind but afterwards the sidewind hit hard again and you somehow never really got a break from biking and had to concentrate the entire time to not get blown of the road. I had some GU chomps in my bento box but it took me 25km to dare to let go of the handlebars to get them out and open them. I was glad I had the aero bottle with water so I could drink without letting go once in a while to get the bottle up!

After 30km my legs started to feel better and I decided to start pushing it a little more! I was still terrified of the run but decided that this race was about surviving only and if it means I had to walk during the run I would do it!

Oh and I think this was one of my slowest avg/h in a tri ever!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Mhmm it sure didn't feel that long but once again I didn´t stress, took my time and had to put on socks.
Run
  • 1h 09m 24s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

And then the suffering started! The run started with an uphill part which was not too bad as it was on asphalt. I made a quick pit stop as I really had to pee and then it was up a few stairs and over some grass onto a trail. Most of the bike route was gravel, sand and grass and only a very short way on asphalt Shock and as I only train on asphalt mostly due to the fact that neither my hip nor my ankles like uneven surfaces this run course was definitely my biggest nightmare! On top of that I am quite clumsy and fall often so I had to look down and concentrate the entire time. Never got any rest! After about 1,5km I misstepped and twisted my left ankle a bit on the downhill part. Not god! I was in pain right after and from then on it was a mental game of trying to get the focus away from the pain and keep running. Finished the first lap and thought that I would never survive this! Second lap the pain got worse and both my legs felt like lead once again (had that feeling for about 3 weeks now) and I was seriously thinking of stopping mostly because I was afraid that I would injure myself to the point that I couldn´t train the next few weeks which would mean not competing in Cologne! After the second lap I stopped at the drinking station and talked to Torben who was standing right there and asked for his advise about if I should keep going or not and he told me its up to me...told me to walk up the hill and then see... I did that and at the top I decided to do one more lap and see how it went. It actually got a bit better and after the third lap I had made up my mind to finish, after all it was only one more lap. I walked all the uphill parts and ran very slowly on the uneven surfaces to make sure my ankle would hold.

Slowest 10K time ever but at least I finished and I hope the aftermath will not be too bad.

Post race
Warm down:

Great race, great day with great people and despite the weather and the very tough run course I had fun which is the most important part!

Finishing time was 3:11:25 which is about 20 minutes from the time I did last year (where I got disqualified for running 80m short by accident!) but considering the weather, the very tough run course and the fact that I am about 25lbs heavier now than I was last year, I take this as a PB (as it was the first time that I officially finished an Olympic distance) and move on from here!

Last updated: 2011-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/6
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim 50m
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:02 | 40 kms | 26.82 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:24 | 10 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-02 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Hveragerdi TRI -Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hveragerdi TRI -Icelandic Championships Olympic Distance Rss Feed