General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prep. - 90% Spinning and Swimming... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-04 9:39 AM

User image

Subject: Prep. - 90% Spinning and Swimming...

Sunday I completed my 3 Sprint after a 3 year hiatus.  I had back surgery in Feb 2011 for a bulging disc so I've been leery of running or jogging.  I've been swimming for 7 months and started a spinning class 5 month ago.  I ran a total of two miles on the ground in prep for Sunday's Tri - I probably logged a couple of hours of running in the water at my local gym in the last few weeks.

For the Sprint I came in at about 1:20 on Sunday's.  There were no timing chips at this $25 entry event.  I entered it as just a trial in prep for a real event coming in the end of July with a couple of friends.

Lessons

I need more time on the actual ground both running and biking.  My lung capacity is pretty good from spin class and swimming a half mile at least 3 times a week and a mile at least once a week.  As fun as spin class is I may have to give it up to put my bike on the ground and actually push my own 250 frame down the road.

Sunday I ran most of the 3.1 miles.  Which was much better than my 2009 outing.  I probably walked 1/3 in 2009.  I will continuing running in the water but I'll also do equal or more running on the ground.  

My back feels pretty good after yesterdays event at least no worse than every other day. 

I lost 14 lbs in May with the aid of Myfitnesspal.com

I also bought a heart monitor and I am reading about zones.

I also bought new Adidas running shoes which felt like a dream yesterday.  I might find another pair because they seem to change shoes styles so often and I've not regretted buying two pair of shoes I really liked in the past.

FWIW....

2012-06-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4242978

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Prep. - 90% Spinning and Swimming...
Sounds like you are on the right track!  Congrats, and keep up the good work!
2012-06-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4242978

User image

Subject: RE: Prep. - 90% Spinning and Swimming...
So here's my story. I was a college basketball player in the 90's. Major spine surgery last year was in athletic no man's land. My buddy a  2 time Iron Man was putting together a spin class. After weeks of dodging his invitation's I finally relented. The first class was brutal could not hold my own weight on my leg's. I was to heavy at 242 lb.'s. Started eating better oatmeal and salads and a reasonable dinner. Started running after putting the children to bed. Could not make a mile on my first run. The next time out i aimed to run just a little bit further then my last time out. My second week went better lost 8 lb.'s and it helped my spin and running. In the end of my second week I ran in  a community 5k. My first road race in 20 years. I ran it in 27 minutes. I was happy. The beginning of the third week I really felt great i went on line and and found a sprint Tri in my area. !/4 swim, 12 bike , 5k. Just one problem i never really swam before. I ordered a wetsuit and swam after work almost every night after work in the ocean in Rockaway N.Y. I taught myself how to breathe in the open water. Take breath's away from the waves. Also trust the floatation  the suit gives you. So here it is Big week four, I lost a total of 20 lbs, the wendsday before my first try The hour spin class was intense all up hill climb. The rest of the week was just for R and R. Race day came and all the athlete's looked like machines and I wondered do I belong here? The end result was this. I did the swim in 9:40 the bike in 37 min and the run in 26 min. a total time of 1:18 and change. was 270 out of 500 overall and out of 80 in my age group I was 12. You be the judge how i did. But I a few times in my life playing hoops i scored 40 points in a game and my first Tri blew that out of the water. I am Happy. BTW try Nike Air Max they are amazing for my back in the run. They have a clear acrylic cushion from the toes to the heel it really works great,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prep. - 90% Spinning and Swimming... Rss Feed