General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike measurements and bike selection Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-07 3:54 PM

Subject: bike measurements and bike selection

I have been running for a while and i want to start doing triathlons. I want to buy a used tri bike, so I dont take a hit on depreciation, if for some reason I dont keep doing the tri's. Is there a good website that will tell you what brand of bike would be a better fit for your specific body measurements? 

2012-06-07 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4250543

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: bike measurements and bike selection
There's websites that give you some data based upon your input, but it's not really useful... Body measurements is only part of the equation (and I'm not talking leg length, but rather lower leg length, upper length, etc.), you also need to add core strength, flexibility, types of races/riding, riding experience, distances you ride/race, current/previous injuries/issues... all this adds up to a unique fit for you. The online calculators to take body measurements in consideration (although not at detailed as actually needed), and scratch on the surface of core strength and flexibility, but completely ignores the rest.

In short, spend the money on a bike fit before buying a bike. You're better off with a less expensive bike that fits, than a more expensive that doesn't.... Keep in mind that the rider accounts for the vast majority of the aerodynamic drag.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike measurements and bike selection Rss Feed