General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beats per minute stuff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-10 12:48 AM

User image

Subject: Beats per minute stuff

I'm 48 years old, 6'5", 247 lbs.  I bought a heart monitor and I reading about zones.  I preparing for my second sprint this season in about 45 days.

Tonight I did the following spinning.

3 minutes at ~100 bpm

7 minutes at ~125 bpm

7 minutes at ~140 bpm

6 minutes at ~160 bpm

7 minutes at ~125 bp

I use to just go all out for duration of my exercise.

Any comments?  I didn't feel like I worked very hard.

2012-06-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4253641

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: RE: Beats per minute stuff

That depends (ya hear that a lot here).

What are your goals?

What's your current fitness level?

IMHO if you are an experienced athlete, want to excel at sprints and be competitive for a top spot you're likely training too long too low. That's not many people on this board, however.

If you are just starting out you're likely training a little too long a little too high. Long slow distance is a good mantra, particularly for beginners. It helps build a solid foundation, keeps injury away, gets your body accustomed to the stresses of exercise, and allows for more aggressive training once your muscles/tendons/ligaments/lungs have had an opportunity to adapt. Most people will focus on attaining distance before trying for speed.

What method did you use for determining your zones?

2012-06-15 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Madison
sakins - 2012-06-10 12:48 AM

I'm 48 years old, 6'5", 247 lbs.  I bought a heart monitor and I reading about zones.  I preparing for my second sprint this season in about 45 days.

Tonight I did the following spinning.

3 minutes at ~100 bpm

7 minutes at ~125 bpm

7 minutes at ~140 bpm

6 minutes at ~160 bpm

7 minutes at ~125 bp

I use to just go all out for duration of my exercise.

Any comments?  I didn't feel like I worked very hard.

Something that has helped me tremendously is doing 2x20s on the turbo (spinner). I use the sufferfest videos, if you haven't seen 'em, check 'em out. They give you cadence recommendations and perceived effort which you can translate into your HR zones. There's a thread on here talking about improving bike speed and wattage, and one of the main things I got from it is a workout as follows:

Day 1: 2x20 (with a warmup, break in between, and cool down) sufferfest = Hell Hath No Fury

Day 2: 1x20 (w/u well, get after it hard, cool down ) sufferfest = the hunted 

Day 2 option 2: VO2 max work (w/u, 5x4min or something similar, cool down) suferfest = a very dark place

Day 3: light spinning or active rest

REPEAT

2012-06-15 3:10 PM

User image

It really helps to do a sub-max test to get you zones set.  Since heart-rates seem to vary so widely, it can be hard to train effectively using heart-rates without having a good basis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beats per minute stuff Rss Feed