General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the art of the 'taper' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-16 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: the art of the 'taper'
i find tapering hard, that is knowing exactly what to do, is it the case that i should keep intensity up but long sessions down. for instance.

monday i went for a 45 min tempo/steady run, fast but not stupid race fast and did some weights

tuesday i went for a 14 mile bike with 10 hard(ish) miles sandwiched between a 2mile w/up and c/down, then circuits later, then in the evening technique swimming with 1 x 400m fast and 5 x 50m on a minute

wednesday (today i did the bike course for the race on sunday and for the run i am not sure what i should be doing? should it be 45 mins / 1hr of intervals or maybe 45mins of hills?

thursday - should i do a brick tommorow morning of short and hard bike and run?

friday - rest?

sat - short distance on all disciplines with a bit of speed work

sun - race

any advice would be great

thanks

andy

Edited by ginger ninja 2004-06-16 1:07 PM

2004-06-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #31765

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: the art of the 'taper'
There are different theories to tapering, but what's worked best for me is to cut the volume significantly, maintain frequency, and use short intervals of high-intensity. It's best to err on the conservative side. You're not going to get any fitness benefits out of the training you do this week. The goal is to stay sharp and be rested on race day.

Based on what you've done so far this week I would suggest a short, easy run tonight. Maybe a couple of fartlek's thrown in, but keep them short.

On Thursday maybe a very short brick with a couple of short intervals on the bike followed by a easy run just long enough to get your legs back (~10 minutes). If you can, try going for a short (15-20 minutes) swim in the evening. Nothing fast in the swim, just easy swimming and some drills.

Rest on Friday.

The day before a race I like to do a short brick. If you can do it at the race sight start with a short swim (5-10 minutes) then a 20-30 minute bike followed by a 10 minute run. Add a couple of fartlek's to the bike and run, and have the bike set-up the way you're going to race. So, if you use race wheels, or tires, have them on the bike for this workout and make sure you don't have any shifting issues.

Also, good nutrition throughout the week. Lastly, have fun in your race!

scott
2004-06-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: #31765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: RE: the art of the 'taper'
sounds good i am off for my run now

thanks

andy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the art of the 'taper' Rss Feed