General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iliopsoas issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-12 7:14 PM

New user

Subject: Iliopsoas issues

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone has had experience with weakness/tightness/pain in your psoas muscle. 

At the end of January'12, my lower back on the right side went into excruciatingly painful back spasms without warning.  After a very painful week of immobility, I slowly returned to normal activities and was able to start walking on a treadmill by the third week.  (Normally I am very active, and I was building my base again for my 2nd Ironman in August - not happening now).  My physical therapist gave me the green light to try running a few minutes after the 4th week, and to get my heartrate up before running, I put the treadmill on a very slight incline while still walking.  Within a minute, I felt slight pain in my right groin.  For weeks I thought nothing of it - the pain was annoying, but not limiting.  I was able to progress to fast walking, elliptical, stair climber, and lifting.  I decided to hold off running until the pain was totally gone, but at the end of April, my groin pain took a turn for the worse.  Now I can't walk for more than 15 minutes without moderate pain and tightness that seems to spread to my hip and feels like I'm "locked up" on the right side.  No swelling, bruising, or tenderness.  Feels great when I wake up, but starts to annoy me as the day goes on.  As of 3 weeks ago, I am not doing any activity, and I'm limiting walking whenever possible.

My doctors have ruled out hernias via CT scans and examination by a surgeon, and the back issue has been resolved.  I just got X-rays of my hip, and the ortho said everything looks great.  I'm getting an MRI (hip arthorgram) next week.  Ortho doc says I have a very weak right psoas muscle that is likely very inflamed.  Treatment would consist of steroid shots and strengthening the psoas.

Just wondering if anyone has experience and/or perspective with a similar condition?  What was your treatment?  How much time did it take to heal?  The groin issue started back in February, and I'm eager to get back to feeling normal and doing the activities I love.  I can't believe how long it is taken to fully recover.

Thank you so much!

2012-06-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4258594

Subject: RE: Iliopsoas issues

could be a torn labrum in the hip - you'll know once they do the MRI.

I had surgery to repair it back in Dec, while my recovery hasn't been great (still in pain, cant really exercise) most people seem to recovery nicely.

Make sure you see a doctor who specializes in the procedure.
2012-06-13 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Second the checking of your labrum.  Ask your doctor for an MRI with contrast (contrast is important, without it a labrum injury may be impossible to see and many doctors don't really pay attention to labrums at all so may lead to a long time to actually diagnose it).  I had a similar issue, got diagnosed with a torn labrum and impingement, and after a labral repair surgery am completely fine.  
2012-06-13 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Here is what happened to me. Much of it has to do with a weak core, which in turn leads to "running in the bucket", which in turn leads to pain in the psoas, piriformis, hips, sciatic nerve pain, etc...

1.) cortisone shot to reduce the inflammation...

2.) Physical therapy. TWO times a week. Heat, exercises, followed by deep tissue-myofascial massage (which will HURT) and then ice. PT will lead to core strengthening. After PT....

3.) ...Immediately get into Yoga once a week as well as at least one Pilates class once a week. Do this in lieu of any resistance/weight training. Not only will it strengthen and elongate but the breathing methods that you will use will immediately improve the position of your PELVIS once you start running again. You will feel your gut tilting your pelvis forward more and you will likely use your glutes more during your run...

4.) Whatever you do swim-wise during the week - ADD ONE MORE SESSSION!!! with a LOT of kicking drills while in front crawl/freestyle and on your back. I feel it right where you are having pain...

5.) No running for about 4-6 weeks

These are the things that I did and it helped to the point that I do not have any of the problems with the Illiopsoas, piriformis or sciatic nerve.
2012-06-13 7:01 PM

New user

Thank you, all, so much.  My MRI next week will have contrast.  I'll keep you posted.  I've found this forum very helpful, and I hope I can help someone else who ends up with a similar condition.
2012-06-14 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
I've been reading a lot of info on this over the past week. I think I have an issue with my psoas as well. It seems to get better with exercise and worse with out. I'm racing IMLP in about 5 weeks and started getting ART the other day. It seems to bother me if I externally rotate my foot or kick back far (which I don't need to do). I noticed last night that if I put deep pressure on it, the pain pretty much goes away. I think I found the trigger point, but not sure. I don't feel it on the bike at all and my last run was this past Friday. It really only bothered me in the morning after the run. When I went on a bike ride the next day it felt better. I swam on Tuesday and took yesterday and today off and now it hurts more, but gets better when I walk around. Does this sound like something similar? It is so frustrating!!!

2012-06-15 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4261723

User image

Regular
Akron
Since my post yesterday I went and had my second ART treatment. My hip was really bothering me yesterday and the day before. I have not done any work outs since Monday. Tuesday I did some swimming (if you want to call it that). When I left the office I felt about a 95% difference in a positive way. I thought it was just a fluke. I woke up this morning and it is still feeling pretty darn good. I think it will be just a tad longer for 100% improvement, but I am sold on ART now! What a difference. He also had the Tens unit on my hip as well. I'm still in disbelief!
2012-06-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4262991

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

ART makes a huge difference to my chronically short and tight psoas.  Unfortunately there's no one near me.  My MT does some of the same techniques, but he's not ART certified.

I lay on a TP or tennis ball before every workout.  That might help you between appointments.

2012-06-20 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
TriggerPoint balls, tennis balls, foam roller. You can also attempt a stretch that is very much like a Yoga Warrior pose. Imagine a lunge except your quad and knee are sunken down enough that they are resting on the ground. Like this:

http://www.stadion.com/gif/Lunge2.jpg

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iliopsoas issues Rss Feed