General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-Starting Training after Walking Pneumonia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-13 11:02 AM

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Subject: Re-Starting Training after Walking Pneumonia

This is my first year doing triathlons (competed in the bike/run legs of a Corporate Challenge Sprint Tri last Sept and the bug bite).  I was in the middle of 9workout a week (3/3/3) program training for my first tri this year scheduled for 7/14, when started not feeling well after my swim and bike workouts on May 27th.  I stopped training after the 27th and went to the doctor.  What they originally told me was a 5-day virus, turned on to be walking pneumonia (got diagnosis and started antibiotics on 5/31). For the last two weeks skipped all of my routines, with the exception of using my bike trainer as a easy gear for 25mins last night.  I feel a heck of alot better this past week, but still have bad cough which is especially prominent first thing in the morning. 

I don't want to rush things or do anything to cause the walking pneumonia in my left lung to hang on any longer than is typical.  At the same point, I don't want to forgo training if its not going to adversely effect my recovery.  Today would be a run workout and I am considering giving it a go this evening after work to see what I can do.  I am really looking for some wisdom as to what I should and should not do.  The swim portion of the tri is by far my weakest piece.  I have same more in the last 2-3 months than in the last 20-25yrs combined (so I am basically just starting get comfortable in the pool and learn proper stroke....endurance is still  very low).  The tri that I was going to do July 14th is a super sprint   (300m pool, 14 bike, 5k), and I don't know if I should just forget about it, or sign-up and just go for completion as opposed to going all out. 

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight on how and when I should proceed.  Prior to this I has only missed one workout (swim) in my program due to being out of town for my nieces graduation, so not training these past two weeks has been driving me nuts, but if I need to continue to lay low to get over this, I am willing....I just want get this behind me.

Thanks!

Jeff

2012-06-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4259516

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Re-Starting Training after Walking Pneumonia

Hi Jeff! Welcome to BT!

Easy does it ... I don't think there's anything wrong with TRYING your run tonight, but like spinning on the bike, ease into it. If you're feeling good and not hacking up a lung after a few easy minutes, do a few more.

Which antibiotic were you on? The fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin and others) carry a higher risk of tissue rupture for athletes. Just something to be aware of and another reason to take it easy going back in. Half-workouts for a few more days, maybe, and then resume. Take another day off anytime if you feel like you need it.

As for the super-sprint ... well ... I'd sign up for it. You've got a month, and as you said, you can always treat it as good experience and a training day.

2012-06-13 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
MA
What did your doctor say about getting back to training? Trust him/her not the internet.
2012-06-13 5:45 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC

Thanks TriAya!

Kathy, the doctor really didn't give me much concrete advise to go on, only lay off training for awhile and ease back into it. 

The swim is my biggest concern getting back into.  My heart rate gets going so easily when I swim, and I really need to get past the mental block that tells me I need to take a break after only 50yds.  I bought a freestyle snorkel  a month ago and used that for about two week before catching this.  On my last swim workout I was able to do 200yds with the snorkel and had hoped to bring that up by 50yd each week.  Since walking pneumonia is a lung issue, and I still have a bad cough I am still pretty leery about staring back, but at the same time the swim is the area that I need to improve upon if I am going to try to sign up for the 7/14 sprint.

2012-06-13 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4260476

User image

Melon Presser
jlshafer - 2012-06-14 6:45 AM

Thanks TriAya!

Kathy, the doctor really didn't give me much concrete advise to go on, only lay off training for awhile and ease back into it. 

The swim is my biggest concern getting back into.  My heart rate gets going so easily when I swim, and I really need to get past the mental block that tells me I need to take a break after only 50yds.  I bought a freestyle snorkel  a month ago and used that for about two week before catching this.  On my last swim workout I was able to do 200yds with the snorkel and had hoped to bring that up by 50yd each week.  Since walking pneumonia is a lung issue, and I still have a bad cough I am still pretty leery about staring back, but at the same time the swim is the area that I need to improve upon if I am going to try to sign up for the 7/14 sprint.

Pneumonia being another matter in this piece of advice ... get swim lessons. Now (or as soon as you feel able to exert yourself a little bit). From a triathlon-focused swim coach would be best, but really, if you can take group lessons in front crawl at the Y, that would probably still do you a great deal of good. Swimming isn't like the other two sports; at the outset it is mostly technique focused, so think of it more like gymnastics. If you can't do all the moves in a coordinated fashion, then just doing them over and over again, for longer, is not going to help.

2012-06-14 1:36 AM
in reply to: #4260476

I had pneumonia this winter, just after Christmas time.  It was the end of Febuary before I could swim 100 meters.  I tried but it just plain hurt to breath.  It takes time

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-Starting Training after Walking Pneumonia Rss Feed