General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrist pain on new tri bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-18 12:48 PM

Subject: Wrist pain on new tri bike?

Hi - I transitioned from a road bike with clip-on aerobars (Profile Design T2s) to a dedicated tri bike (a Cervelo P2 with 3T Aura Pro bars) last weekend.  I got a professional fit prior to buying (from the shop where I bought).  However, I didn't pay much attention to accessing the shift levers on the fit bike, since they were not connected to anything. 

On my new bike, I've noticed a lot of pain in my wrists.  I've been experimenting with different grips on the aerobars, with the least painful position being holding the ends of the bars like the handle of a pistol, with my "trigger finger" on the end of the bars to access the shifters.  This means my hands are vertical on the bars, with my thumbs on top of the bars (imagine your hand position when you shake hands).

My questions are these:  Is there a "right way" to grip your aerobars?  I looked on-line for pictures, but didn't find anything.  Is this a fit issue, and should I take the bike back to the shop for an adjustment when I get my 300-mile "tightening up" adjustment?  I got the bike 2 days ago, and have ridden it twice.

Thanks!

2012-06-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4267237

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Wrist pain on new tri bike?
I have no idea if there is a "right" way, I'm sure someone will know if there is or not, but all I do is keep my hands in roughly the same posture as you described, but I keep a very light and loose grip, almost folding my fingers together like I could be twiddling my thumbs. If I need to shift, then one hand moves up and shifts and then moves back down to a relaxed resting spot.
2012-06-19 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Slobberchops - 2012-06-18 1:48 PM

Hi - I transitioned from a road bike with clip-on aerobars (Profile Design T2s) to a dedicated tri bike (a Cervelo P2 with 3T Aura Pro bars) last weekend.  I got a professional fit prior to buying (from the shop where I bought).  However, I didn't pay much attention to accessing the shift levers on the fit bike, since they were not connected to anything. 

On my new bike, I've noticed a lot of pain in my wrists.  I've been experimenting with different grips on the aerobars, with the least painful position being holding the ends of the bars like the handle of a pistol, with my "trigger finger" on the end of the bars to access the shifters.  This means my hands are vertical on the bars, with my thumbs on top of the bars (imagine your hand position when you shake hands).

My questions are these:  Is there a "right way" to grip your aerobars?  I looked on-line for pictures, but didn't find anything.  Is this a fit issue, and should I take the bike back to the shop for an adjustment when I get my 300-mile "tightening up" adjustment?  I got the bike 2 days ago, and have ridden it twice.

Thanks!

I had to go back for a refit after a few months on the tri bike.  In my case, the problem did not present itself until I was doing pretty rides.  They adjusted the aerobars for me and that cleared it up. 

2012-06-19 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Where does your wrist hurt?  Is it on the thumb side of your wrist?  I just flop my hands over themselves which is not too aero but I am not very fast either
2012-06-19 9:33 AM

User image

Slobberchops - 2012-06-18 1:48 PM

Thanks!

I had to switch out my S-Bends to the aerobars that you 'grip like a pistol' as you suggest.  it looks very much like I'm dual wielding pistols and shooting the person in front of me.  The grips are at more of an angle though, not straight up and down.  This alleviated both some wrist strain as well as some deltoid/back strain I was having, likely cause I didn't HTFU though.  Depending on your time frame and budget though, I would ride for a month and see how things feel at the end of that.  If the pain just keeps getting worse over the month though I'd say things need to be changed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrist pain on new tri bike? Rss Feed