General Discussion Triathlon Talk » W.H.O.: Average Global Adult Weight: 137 lb.s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-18 2:17 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: W.H.O.: Average Global Adult Weight: 137 lb.s

The BBC World News reported on thie World Health Organization report that included this interesting statistic:

"Using World Health Organization data from 2005, the scientists worked out that the average global body weight was 62kg (137lb). But there were huge regional differences. In North America, the average was 80.7kg (178lb), while in Asia it was 57.7kg (127lb) ."

This is part of a report on food supplies world wide and reports that the U.S. has more obese people than any other nation.

It's a quick and interesting read that sparks a few talking points:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18462985

2012-06-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4267501

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: W.H.O.: Average Global Adult Weight: 137 lb.s

I'd like to see more recent data, but WHO gets nothing out quickly (not a criticism, just the way it is)

We're looking at the majority of U.S. citizens being obese (not just overweight or very overweight) by 2030 ... the amount of pressure that is already putting on the health care system and is going to is just unimaginable, and there's not any way to prepare for the onslaught.

One difficulty is that being inactive has its own momentum and keeps building ... and the heavier one is, the harder it is to get going, literally and figuratively. This in turn creates more consumption via motor vehicles ... which encourages more heaviness ... etc.

It's an extremely complex issue, those are just facets of it ... I think a major constructive way we can help is by encouraging others to be active and healthy by example and commitment as well. Triathlon is the fastest-growing participation sport in the U.S. and BT is the place to be

2012-06-18 2:44 PM

Expert
Nicely put Triya.
2012-06-18 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4267562

Veteran
TriAya - 2012-06-18 12:34 PM

One difficulty is that being inactive has its own momentum and keeps building ... and the heavier one is, the harder it is to get going, literally and figuratively. This in turn creates more consumption via motor vehicles ... which encourages more heaviness ... etc.

When I was a kid (I'm 51) it was rare to see people in wheelchairs.  I am happy that more truly disabled people are able to get around today.  However, I see countless people who are in wheelchairs just because they weigh too much to walk around.  Unbelieveable!  Some of them have knee problems- but the problems are directly related to their being overweight/obese. 

I am SO FRIGHTENED about the future of healthcare in the US.  Yet any time a state or city tries to legislate measures related to health/diet the public gets up in arms about how they are violating their individual freedom!

My husband and I watched out takes from Woodstock not too long ago.  The thing that struck me was that everyone was so slim.  What was different about those days?  Lack of forms of sedentary entertainment?  The diet was mostly meat and potatoes back in those days.  They didn't have the plethora of information regarding how to eat healthy food.  Yet they were skinny! 

2012-06-18 2:52 PM

User image

NC
2012-06-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4267602

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah

HAAAA! Somebody has their funny underwear hat on again.

2012-06-18 3:09 PM

Expert

I was watching a documentary on the CCC a while back.  The thing I found interesting, well one of them, there were a lot of interesting bits, was that when guys joined the CCC on average they would gain 12 lbs within the first month due to the fact that for most it was the first time they had eaten three meals a day in their lives! None of them were overweight.  Imagine the same program today and I bet you most would loose 12 lbs on the same program.

Ok because I'm thinking about it now I'm going to go wildly off topic.

When the guys joined the CCC they were provided barracks to live in, 3 meals a day and they spent their day building the park system we know and love today using hand tools! For this they were paid $45 a month, $5 to them, $40 sent strait home to their families.  Imagine that sort of system today.  After high school you could join up and get free room and board, lots of manual labor and after adjusting for inflation you would make $581.92 a month.  Of that you would get $64.66 in your pocket and your family would get $517.26 to spend on groceries and household goods that will help to feed and care for the family as well as stimulate the economy!

Then should there be another world war we would have a ready supply of young men already used to living in barracks and taking orders!

2012-06-18 3:52 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

When I was in junior high school I was so obese they put me in a Special Education Phys Ed class. I was 240 pounds and about 5'4".

I was lucky we had that program. The program was administered by a teacher named Mr. Jerry Neuman. Mr. Neuman was a classic "gym" teacher. He had the whistle, the sweat pants. What was different about Mr. Neuman was that he held us to account as very young adults. He made us work hard, didn't let us skip gym.

More importantly than anything else Mr. Neuman showed that if you work consistently toward a goal you are usually rewarded. I didn't get that lesson from home because, like so many modern "families" my family was wrestling with the larger issues of divorce, substance abuse, etc.

I think the issue of obesity is rooted in a larger social degradation that has affected our society. Too much fast food, too much media entertainment, too much marketing of "an easier way", too little family and support for young people. Parents aren't stepping up. It easier to just plug the kid in and keep him sugared up than to take him outside and teach them baseball, or archery, or shooting, or cycling, or farming, or fishing... 

When I grew up and joined the military and got to travel I quickly saw the rest of the world wasn't like this. I saw that most of the United States was a naive, coddled group of people who somehow believed their way was always the best way. In other countries and cultures I saw people who struck me as my impression of Americans in the late 1940's and 50's- super hard working, family oriented. These people worked a 16 hour work day without batting an eye. When I came home it was... a wake up call.

It's a shame what has happened to us. It's our fault. Like TriAya says in her post, "I think a major constructive way we can help is by encouraging others to be active and healthy by example and commitment as well."

2012-06-18 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
There is a newer documentary on Netflix Instant called America the Beautiful 2. It focuses on dieting, exercise, obesity, etc. It's definitely nothing groundbreaking but if you're looking for something to watch it was relatively entertaining. 
2012-06-18 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
My daughter had to watch the following video as part of her Biology class. It was part of my wake up call that my nutrition habits severely needed to change. It is downright scarey to me. It's a seven minute video but it was worth watching every minute of it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/fattest-place-earth-12533987

My dh has a personal trainer's license and a sports nutritionist license and he has always said that diet and nutrition trumps exercise every time. The old saying "You are what you eat it" is soooo true.

Now please don't get me wrong- we both are always encouraging others around us to become more active and get more fit. And he's always talking about heart health and certainly values exercise and an active lifestyle. He's at the gym every morning, plus s/b/r, plays ball, etc. His main point though, is that you can go to the gym and put in 2-3 hours of exercise that burns xx number of calories and can add them right back with one plate of lasagna, one piece of the wrong type of pie, one sandwich loaded with mayo, cheese, etc. It always amazes him how hard some clients will work at the gym and then will walk straight out the gym door to McDonalds, Burger King, etc and then wonder why they are still overweight. When he tries to talk to them about their nutrition choices there's always reasons, excuses, etc. It's amazing that even people who have the knowledge, resources and ability to make better choices and yet they still don't.

It's scarey to me because like TriAya said It's very complex and there are so many facets.

I am a nurse in Labor and Delivery and 19 years ago when I started a patient was considered huge if they were over 200 pounds. That weight is now considered normal. We recently had to get beds weighted to handle up to 600 pounds, when I started they had to hold 300 pounds and we never, ever thought we'd ever have a patient that would remotely reach that. Now, 300 is a daily occurence and doesn't even cause the blink of an eye. It's just sad. Young, healthy women ( well I say healthy- as in no reason to weigh that much) who weigh 300 pounds is more the norm than not.

And to be very clear, I am not judging those women. I was almost 200 pounds not pregnant. It's just scarey and sad to me that this is where society is. How did we get here and how do we change it?

Shelly

2012-06-18 11:59 PM
in reply to: #4267590

User image

punkster - 2012-06-18 1:46 PM

When I was a kid (I'm 51) it was rare to see people in wheelchairs.  I am happy that more truly disabled people are able to get around today.  However, I see countless people who are in wheelchairs just because they weigh too much to walk around.  Unbelieveable!  Some of them have knee problems- but the problems are directly related to their being overweight/obese. 

I am SO FRIGHTENED about the future of healthcare in the US.  Yet any time a state or city tries to legislate measures related to health/diet the public gets up in arms about how they are violating their individual freedom!

My husband and I watched out takes from Woodstock not too long ago.  The thing that struck me was that everyone was so slim.  What was different about those days?  Lack of forms of sedentary entertainment?  The diet was mostly meat and potatoes back in those days.  They didn't have the plethora of information regarding how to eat healthy food.  Yet they were skinny! 

Fast food and how cheap it is. Every time we come down to the States we are always surprised at how cheap it is to go out for a meal and the large portions that you get with that meal. 

2012-06-19 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4267562

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TriAya - 2012-06-18 1:34 PM

I'd like to see more recent data, but WHO gets nothing out quickly (not a criticism, just the way it is)

We're looking at the majority of U.S. citizens being obese (not just overweight or very overweight) by 2030 ...

So I'm about 15 lbs overweight right now, but man, I sure hope I can lose it by 2030! That's only a pound per year I have to lose, lol.

My weight tends to fluctuate in that range...on my way back down right now. When it's up...it's for the obvious reasons, decreased activity and well, eating crap foods. Simply focusing on things like where what I eat comes from ... where did it grow? Who touched or processed it along the way? And trying to shorten my connection to the sun...which is what makes everything grow...has really helped me get things back under control.

Then I look around, and even my own boyfriend has relatively little concept of this. He's a ketchup is a vegetable sort of guy, and refuses to eat many things because of texture. He had an apple pie with the apple slices still crisp and tasting like apples (not sugar), and he spit it out. he bought frosted flakes for breakfast once, and said, "Don't they put sugar on these anymore?" and I checked...yes...they are frosted with sugar but he couldn't taste it because everything he eats is so processed!!!

And this is a guy who is a cyclist and a coach...a good one at that (save nutrition). But if he is so clueless and reluctant to eat well, what chance does the bulk of America have?

2012-06-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4268746

User image

AdventureBear - 2012-06-19 9:00 AM

We're looking at the majority of U.S. citizens being obese (not just overweight or very overweight) by 2030 ...

So I'm about 15 lbs overweight right now, but man, I sure hope I can lose it by 2030! That's only a pound per year I have to lose, lol. My weight tends to fluctuate in that range...on my way back down right now. When it's up...it's for the obvious reasons, decreased activity and well, eating crap foods. Simply focusing on things like where what I eat comes from ... where did it grow? Who touched or processed it along the way? And trying to shorten my connection to the sun...which is what makes everything grow...has really helped me get things back under control. Then I look around, and even my own boyfriend has relatively little concept of this. He's a ketchup is a vegetable sort of guy, and refuses to eat many things because of texture. He had an apple pie with the apple slices still crisp and tasting like apples (not sugar), and he spit it out. he bought frosted flakes for breakfast once, and said, "Don't they put sugar on these anymore?" and I checked...yes...they are frosted with sugar but he couldn't taste it because everything he eats is so processed!!! And this is a guy who is a cyclist and a coach...a good one at that (save nutrition). But if he is so clueless and reluctant to eat well, what chance does the bulk of America have?

Not sure who it was earlier, but I believe in NA (or at least Canada) it's something like 60% are clinically overweight (BMI>25) and 30% are clinically obese (BMI>30) but there's some issues with just using BMI as a single metric as we all know.

A few friends of mine had an interesting discussion the other day about how we're brought up from a 'dinner time' POV vs. what we eat now, our food knowledge, and eating habits.  One concept we found interesting was 'kids eating a different meal than parents because they're picky'.  I can't count how many times I've seen parents throw chicken fingers or nuggets and fries at kids while they eat a normal, reasonably healthy meal because the kids are supposedly picky eaters.  

While I am an exception (I've eaten anything and everything since it could be blended small enough by my father since I was 18 months old, for better or for worse), being picky was really not an option as a child.  You ate what was put in front of you, and if you complained, you didn't eat.  What was put in front of me was fairly healthy most of the time, and had a huge variety.  Now, when I'm hungry, I crave food of any sort.  I don't think the reward pathways in my brain got the fuel they needed to point me towards any particular kind of calories haha.

In contrast, a colleague of mine was brought up literally with no food knowledge about what's healthy, what's not.  Absolutely blew my mind when this person had a 'berry' for the first time after being in their mid 20's.  There were no socioeconomic or cultural factors at play here, they were just never served this kind of thing.  Lunch much of the time consists of velveta (sp?) macaroni and cheese and a coke.  What I find more striking on a general level is after two years of pre-clerkship medical school where we've all been taught both clinical and basic science aspects of metabolism, obesity, and lifestyle effects (Exercise, diet, etc) on our health, few have actually made changes themselves despite this knowledge.

As an 80+ year old man said in one of the Ironman preview vid on youtube: "If you want to be doing this at 80, you damn well better be mindful of what you're doing at 40".   I think the same thing applies when we're children in order to even get to 40, and our parents play a huge role in this.

2012-06-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4268975

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
rdrbme - 2012-06-19 9:22 AM
AdventureBear - 2012-06-19 9:00 AM

So I'm about 15 lbs overweight right now, but man, I sure hope I can lose it by 2030! That's only a pound per year I have to lose, lol. My weight tends to fluctuate in that range...on my way back down right now. When it's up...it's for the obvious reasons, decreased activity and well, eating crap foods. Simply focusing on things like where what I eat comes from ... where did it grow? Who touched or processed it along the way? And trying to shorten my connection to the sun...which is what makes everything grow...has really helped me get things back under control. Then I look around, and even my own boyfriend has relatively little concept of this. He's a ketchup is a vegetable sort of guy, and refuses to eat many things because of texture. He had an apple pie with the apple slices still crisp and tasting like apples (not sugar), and he spit it out. he bought frosted flakes for breakfast once, and said, "Don't they put sugar on these anymore?" and I checked...yes...they are frosted with sugar but he couldn't taste it because everything he eats is so processed!!! And this is a guy who is a cyclist and a coach...a good one at that (save nutrition). But if he is so clueless and reluctant to eat well, what chance does the bulk of America have?

Not sure who it was earlier, but I believe in NA (or at least Canada) it's something like 60% are clinically overweight (BMI>25) and 30% are clinically obese (BMI>30) but there's some issues with just using BMI as a single metric as we all know.

A few friends of mine had an interesting discussion the other day about how we're brought up from a 'dinner time' POV vs. what we eat now, our food knowledge, and eating habits.  One concept we found interesting was 'kids eating a different meal than parents because they're picky'.  I can't count how many times I've seen parents throw chicken fingers or nuggets and fries at kids while they eat a normal, reasonably healthy meal because the kids are supposedly picky eaters.  

While I am an exception (I've eaten anything and everything since it could be blended small enough by my father since I was 18 months old, for better or for worse), being picky was really not an option as a child.  You ate what was put in front of you, and if you complained, you didn't eat.  What was put in front of me was fairly healthy most of the time, and had a huge variety.  Now, when I'm hungry, I crave food of any sort.  I don't think the reward pathways in my brain got the fuel they needed to point me towards any particular kind of calories haha.

In contrast, a colleague of mine was brought up literally with no food knowledge about what's healthy, what's not.  Absolutely blew my mind when this person had a 'berry' for the first time after being in their mid 20's.  There were no socioeconomic or cultural factors at play here, they were just never served this kind of thing.  Lunch much of the time consists of velveta (sp?) macaroni and cheese and a coke.  What I find more striking on a general level is after two years of pre-clerkship medical school where we've all been taught both clinical and basic science aspects of metabolism, obesity, and lifestyle effects (Exercise, diet, etc) on our health, few have actually made changes themselves despite this knowledge.

As an 80+ year old man said in one of the Ironman preview vid on youtube: "If you want to be doing this at 80, you damn well better be mindful of what you're doing at 40".   I think the same thing applies when we're children in order to even get to 40, and our parents play a huge role in this.

I was watching a documentary the other night (can't think of the name right now), and he was traveling around the US and talking to people about their diets.  He was doing a micronutrient fast for 60 days.  The majority of the obese people he talked to said it was easier to go down the block and get KFC then to cook a meal.  They also stated they eat all of their meals in front of the television set, with their kids.  

It was interesting to see how many people stated they knew they had a problem with their eating habits, but were unwilling to change them because it would be too hard or take too much work.  I understand that there are people who are addicted to food.  It is a real issue, and I believe those who have that problem are like anyone else with an addiction.  It takes time to overcome, but for people who are just too lazy to get up and make a salad instead of getting McDonalds is just flat out crazy.  

2012-06-19 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

So, here's a dilema I have as a parent and a teacher. I don't want my kids to judge people, especially other kids, on the way they look but we obviously don't want them to grow up overweight.  I recently took my kids to Comicon. There was an overwhelming amount of overweight and obese people there. Many were in wheelchairs or had difficulty with the stairs. I noticed it right off the bat because most of the events we go to are sporting events (triathlon, running, kids sports etc) so obviously a very different demographic and very few people are overweight. At Comicon, my kids instantly commented on the amount of overweight people and they couldn't help but notice some of the health issues that these folks seemed to be having. I guess it was a good learning experience but at the same time, I felt guilty that my kids were making judgements based on people's appearance. We followed up that experience with a trip to Yosemite, where we enjoyed a lot of walking and hiking, I pointed out to my kids that taking care of our bodies allowed us to do these sorts of activities. 

As a teacher, I see childhood obesity in my classroom. I see kids who can't run the length of the playground without getting severely out of breath. I see kids who have the same junk food for lunch everyday and when we do our section on healthy bodies, many of them can only identify a few vegetables but can recognize the logo of just about every fast food chain. I really feel for these kids because they are future obesity statistics. I work in a relatively low income area and I know that parents are doing their best. I know that the dollar value menu at the local fast food joint can feed a family for under $10. The odds are against them. I can tell the parents if their child is struggling with reading, has a speech problem or behavioral issues but there is rarely a conversation about health issues. 

We are heading towards a situation where anyone of "normal" weight will be in the minority. My husband's company give insurance discounts now to those who don't smoke and maintain a normal BMI. Some of his coworkers complain that is prejudice. 

I'm trying to have my kids focus on their own health. Make good food choices now so that they can enjoy a lifetime of being healthy and active. I try to be a good example and I try to spread the word in my classroom. These statistics that Tom and Yanti quoted are really scary!

2012-06-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4268466

User image

Pro
Forsey - 2012-06-18 9:59 PM

Fast food and how cheap it is. Every time we come down to the States we are always surprised at how cheap it is to go out for a meal and the large portions that you get with that meal. 

there were plenty of McDonalds and Burger Kings in 1975.  While fast, cheap, supersized food does have its role, I've got another theory. 

We've designed our communties so that we cannot walk anywhere.  How many kids walk to school these days? (in fact, it's no longer social accpetable to allow your children to walk to school, for fear of abduction... which has not increased)   Even if you live 1/4 mile from a mall, you can't walk there- as there are probably big streets, culverts and no place to walk.  We've designed suburbia such that every movement requires a car... there's no place to walk even if you wanted to.

2012-06-19 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I really miss Jack Lalanne.     Just sayin'.

Ignorance and denial are strange beasts.  Evil beasts, they are.

What ever happened to free will?  It seems that science has discarded this notion and we humans are nothing but animals and are slaves to our genetic programming.   These scientists assume that we can't take responsibility for our actions or that we can't control our desires and impulses.   I believe differently, and think it takes only a moderate educational effort.  Learning a little self control goes a long way to making a big difference in one's life.  

From a moral stand point, obesity is a combination of two of the Seven Deadly Sins.    Gluttony and Sloth.  Eating too much and exercising too little.   Most of those who find themselves obese are in denial about how much they eat and how much they exercise.  

/Libertarian public service announcement.    

2012-06-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4268466

User image

San Diego, CA
Forsey - 2012-06-18 9:59 PM
punkster - 2012-06-18 1:46 PM

Not to make light of the conversation, but I would venture a guess that the people at Woodstock were likely sooo skinny due to their diet consisting mainly of illegal substances.  I don't believe Woodstock is a valid cross-section of the American population at that time.

ETA:

Now I am also in agreement that our culture here has allowed us to get way to lazy and fat, but it isn't our government's role to be handing out diet plans and telling me I can't have a soda every once in a while.  The bigger problem with government regulation is where to draw the line.  Rather than start with regulating what I can and can't consume, lets work on fortifying programs to promote a healthier lifestyle.  I understand that this may be less effective however it follows the same logic as, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Just my $.02

Edited by jasonatkins 2012-06-19 9:59 AM
2012-06-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4269061

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
ecozenmama - 2012-06-19 8:49 AM
It takes time to overcome, but for people who are just too lazy to get up and make a salad instead of getting McDonalds is just flat out crazy.  

The thing is that with just a tiny bit of planning, making a sald can be super simple...WTF...great salads come pre-made now and cost $2.99 to $3.99 at the grocery store...cheaper than McDs. I dont get it either.
2012-06-19 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4269102

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Super good discussion with a lot of interesting observations, especially from educators in the thread and the observation about comic-con.

Our society has changed enormously. The kids and young adults of today are physically different than four decades ago. Food has changed, behavior surrounding it has changed. The result is a valid obesity crisis.

Human nature is such that, collectively, a society doesn't address an issue until its a crisis. The economy, education, the environment, health... All examples. Deal with it when it breaks and not before.

The educator in this thread makes a good observation. We facilitate obesity in an effort to overcompensate for an era when the "fat kid" (that would have been me) got picked on at school and on the playground. They were stigmatized. We've gone the other way now where in some cases obesity has become a "disability" and being overweight the norm. Holding someone accountable for it is politically and socially objectionable.

I absolutely do not harken for "the old days" when an overweight person was stigmatized. Absolutely not. No.

We do need to find a middle ground of holding each to account for health issues that include overeating. It's interesting that our society has done that with tobacco use in the U.S. Here smoking has become unappealing and almost "dirty". We succeeded in changing the perception of tobacco use in the U.S. in less than 40 years. We need to do the same with overeating, obesity and an overweight lifestyle. Expose it for what it is; a health and social hazard we can prevent. When we shy away from it in the spirit of "equality" or some misguided social agenda we aren't helping anyone. We're enabling overeating, poor health and even obesity.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-06-19 11:19 AM
2012-06-19 11:44 AM

User image

NH

I'll add another angle from the middle/upper-middle class neighborhoods.  One huge change I see from my childhood (I'm 50) is that today's kids are so BUSY with structure stuff.  Most of the kids in our town have "obligations" 4 or 5 nights a week and most weekends.  People have structured their lives in such a way that they simply don't have time to have sit down meals, so they take the easy/quick route of pizza, subs, or other fast food for many dinners.  I'm amazed at even how many young "athletes" are quite overweight.

We limit our guys to 1 night a week away from the family dinner, which exempts them from many, many, sports and activities, and our family is absolutely considered loony - which we may very well be for other reasons.  It's as if we are condemning our kids to a life of working in the coal mines rather than becoming concert pianists or professional athletes by not having them on year round travel soccer teams and multiple week long summer camps.  Further, if our son has a game or some activity out of the house, my wife will often prepare something healthy and bring it for us rather than eating pizza - bringing more weird looks from everyone else and builds our reputation even further!

I agree this is a complex subject and the long term solutions are not obvious.

2012-06-19 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

The thing that I have noticed is how much the portions sizes have increased in restaurants over the past ten years.   These day I never finish my meal, however most people clean their plate no matter how much food they are served.

The largest change that I have seen is in portion size of beverages.  A while back I ordered a large iced tea at a drive through restaurant, the drink was so big that I could not fit it in my cup holder!  Years ago the large drink was today's medium, today's large drink is at least 32 ozs. (a whole quart!).  The highest calorie item on the KFC menu is the extra large non-diet soda.

Just because the large / SuperSize portion is only a dollar extra for 1.5-2x the amount of food people do not have to order it.

Edited by rick4657 2012-06-19 11:53 AM
2012-06-19 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4269407

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
rick4657 - 2012-06-19 11:52 AM

The thing that I have noticed is how much the portions sizes have increased in restaurants over the past ten years.   These day I never finish my meal, however most people clean their plate no matter how much food they are served.

The largest change that I have seen is in portion size of beverages.  A while back I ordered a large iced tea at a drive through restaurant, the drink was so big that I could not fit it in my cup holder!  Years ago the large drink was today's medium, today's large drink is at least 32 ozs. (a whole quart!).  The highest calorie item on the KFC menu is the extra large non-diet soda.

Just because the large / SuperSize portion is only a dollar extra for 1.5-2x the amount of food people do not have to order it.

I just saw a commercial for Taco Bell and they said they are going to be adding "healthy options" to their menu.  I am pretty sure that their idea of healthy is not my idea of healthy.  Especially since everything on their menu is from the same 4 or 5 ingredients.  

But then again, they did start telling consumers to eat a fourth meal after midnight.

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-06-19 12:01 PM
2012-06-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4269432

User image

Sensei
Sin City

HOWEVER, what I find interesting, is that the MEDIA'S version of beauty is still the skinny/fit person...

So we still think thin and fitness is the pinnacle of beauty, and idolize the athlete, as we sit on the couch and get fat.  What happened to strive to be like who we idolize/see on TV?

I see a fit person, hot body, or athlete, and think "boy, I'm fat with this extra 20lbs" and it makes me want to run.  What do other people think while they stuff potato chips in their mouth?

Maybe there are mixed signals?  We watch fit athletes on tv, or the dance shows with fit kids, but in the commercial breaks, it's the same athletes hocking McDonalds, Lance Armstrong selling beer, Athletes selling Pepsi/Coke.

AND people are just that stupid to think they actually EAT/DRINK that stuff on a regular basis.

Everyone is to blame, and no one is to blame.  It's a tough situation.

2012-06-19 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4269407

User image

Sensei
Sin City
rick4657 - 2012-06-19 9:52 AM

According to Weight of the Nation, soda's and sugary beverages (and the sizes they sell) is the only thing that has been DIRECTLY related to obesity...

It's sickening how much sugar and calories are in those.  Glad I gave them up LONG ago.

Except for one.  I still get an occasional blended coffee drink, and scary as it is, a blended mocha or other sweet coffee drink, has more calores/sugar than even soda.  That's why I cut that down to about 1 a month.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » W.H.O.: Average Global Adult Weight: 137 lb.s Rss Feed  

of 3