General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sponsered AGers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-06-18 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: Sponsered AGers
Is it possible to get sponsered as an Age grouper? If so how?

2012-06-18 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4267937

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Sponsered AGers
Yes. Some may find something locally, contacting businesses & such. Others can get on part of a team (Zoot Ultra, Rev3, etc). Teams can look for the really fast guys or sometimes ones who at least know what they're doing. For ALL of them, they want someone who will give them exposure. The personality can matter here.
2012-06-18 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
You can get sponsorship as Joe Blow on the street if you can prove your worth to a potential sponsor. As an AGer, you need to show the company how you will be an ambassador for their brand, and how it will benefit them. It's as simple (and complex) as that.
2012-06-19 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Madison
I've thought about this too. But I would say be weary, you will be judged and people will gun for you! lol.
2012-06-19 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Gahanna, OH
You can get sponsorships at hookit.com.  They usually offer product discounts in return for photo rights, etc. 
2012-06-19 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Madison

I think the biggest question is why do you want to be sponsored? Is it for monetary purposes? Say you don't have the means to enter all the races and get the gear. I say it's a good idea, and I know I had help paying for a couple Half IMs I did from work. They just cut me a check for it and wanted to see how I did. Then they wrote it off. Ask your place of work if they'll help you out.

If it's just to have a name on your jersey, I'd say ex it. Yea it's cool to have race kits and some free SWAG here and there, but I feel much better about myself tearing people apart who are sponsored. Say some people on the PowerBar elite team. I'm not saying I'm super fast by any means, but I've found it funny to see sponsored athletes who aren't fit and fast. Just my opinion though. Don't let it deter you whatsoever.

2012-06-19 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Straight outta Central Flurrrrrida

This is a topic I love, as this is my forte.

The whole idea of a sponsorship is marketing. It's possible, and common.

With that said, what reasons would someone want to sponsor YOU as opposed to the thousand other racers in a certain race? Most importantly, will YOU get business for the sponsor? What is in it for the sponsor? Do you have a story? Average joes don't get sponsored. If you're average, figure out how not to be.

The part where most people fall off is most people don't know how to support the sponsor or even what to offer the sponsor.

Usually, one has to frequent social networking sites, websites such as this, have a blog, and race frequently with lots of people, with podium finishes almost 100% of the time.

What are you wanting to get sponsored with? Typically this is through free product.

As far as the HOW:

First, be a good racer. Win, and win often! This is probably the most obvious.

It is best to make some kind of publication/packet. Text, pictures, statistics, and references along with other sponsors are included, along with what you can do for the sponsor. In the office world this would be something along the lines of a business proposal. Be a good writer or hire a professional. Marketing firms are good for this should you have money to spare.

In my experience, when doing cold calls/fresh leads, one in every 25 businesses show interest. Of those, I'd say 2 in 100 would be willing to offer up SOMETHING, whether or not it be what you want.

Send this packet out electronically, and perhaps bring it in person to local shops with someone who knows what they're doing and is a smooth talker.

Essentially, if you didn't take anything away, the typical who/what/where/when/why/how stuff needs to be answered before you do anything, and the process can take about 6 months from inception to actually having a sponsor.

If you're trying to do this yourself, the BEST 3 tips:

-DO NOT ASK THE SPONSOR FOR "ANYTHING."  Know what you want, and ask for that.

-Customize the proposal. They want to feel like they're important, so tailor emails and other forms of text to the individual business you're approaching.

-Spelling/grammar.

I'm available via PM if you need me

Edited by flashpoint145 2012-06-19 8:50 AM
2012-06-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4268846

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
flashpoint145 - 2012-06-19 7:40 AM

This is a topic I love, as this is my forte.

The whole idea of a sponsorship is marketing. It's possible, and common.

With that said, what reasons would someone want to sponsor YOU as opposed to the thousand other racers in a certain race? Most importantly, will YOU get business for the sponsor? What is in it for the sponsor? Do you have a story? Average joes don't get sponsored. If you're average, figure out how not to be.

The part where most people fall off is most people don't know how to support the sponsor or even what to offer the sponsor.

Usually, one has to frequent social networking sites, websites such as this, have a blog, and race frequently with lots of people, with podium finishes almost 100% of the time.

What are you wanting to get sponsored with? Typically this is through free product.

As far as the HOW:

First, be a good racer. Win, and win often! This is probably the most obvious.

It is best to make some kind of publication/packet. Text, pictures, statistics, and references along with other sponsors are included, along with what you can do for the sponsor. In the office world this would be something along the lines of a business proposal. Be a good writer or hire a professional. Marketing firms are good for this should you have money to spare.

In my experience, when doing cold calls/fresh leads, one in every 25 businesses show interest. Of those, I'd say 2 in 100 would be willing to offer up SOMETHING, whether or not it be what you want.

Send this packet out electronically, and perhaps bring it in person to local shops with someone who knows what they're doing and is a smooth talker.

Essentially, if you didn't take anything away, the typical who/what/where/when/why/how stuff needs to be answered before you do anything, and the process can take about 6 months from inception to actually having a sponsor.

If you're trying to do this yourself, the BEST 3 tips:

-DO NOT ASK THE SPONSOR FOR "ANYTHING."  Know what you want, and ask for that.

-Customize the proposal. They want to feel like they're important, so tailor emails and other forms of text to the individual business you're approaching.

-Spelling/grammar.

I'm available via PM if you need me

thanks everyone for the help. I will say right off that this is not for money. I am going to start racing with Team RWB and I had the feeling that if I could get other companies involved it would only increase the exposure to the great cause that TEAM RWB is. I am nothing special. I am a ten year man in the military. I am an AG to the core and a clyde at that but what I do think I can bring to the table is that I am not your average tri guy. I am a big guy (former power lifter), I am a pilot, and most of all I am an American and want to spread the word of a good cause. People like seeing brands and names and I know companies like to get involved with good causes whether for a good reason or just for tax purposes. Plus the more people that see me out there busting my butt at a race as an "average guy" will give them hope that they can do it too.
2012-06-19 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4269660

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

trmat79 - 2012-06-19 2:04 PM

thanks everyone for the help. I will say right off that this is not for money. I am going to start racing with Team RWB and I had the feeling that if I could get other companies involved it would only increase the exposure to the great cause that TEAM RWB is. I am nothing special. I am a ten year man in the military. I am an AG to the core and a clyde at that but what I do think I can bring to the table is that I am not your average tri guy. I am a big guy (former power lifter), I am a pilot, and most of all I am an American and want to spread the word of a good cause. People like seeing brands and names and I know companies like to get involved with good causes whether for a good reason or just for tax purposes. Plus the more people that see me out there busting my butt at a race as an "average guy" will give them hope that they can do it too.

Those two things don't go together.

2012-06-19 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4269689

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Samyg - 2012-06-19 12:14 PM

trmat79 - 2012-06-19 2:04 PM

Those two things don't go together.

thank you
2012-06-19 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

The best way....become friends with the people that you want to sponsor you.

2012-06-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4269722

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Fastyellow - 2012-06-19 12:27 PM

HAHA good call. I wish I lived in area that was more condusive to that
2012-06-19 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4269729

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
trmat79 - 2012-06-19 11:29 AM

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished over twitter, facebook and forum boards.

I've become friends with lots of folks through social media.

2012-06-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4269743

User image

Pennsylvania
Fastyellow - 2012-06-19 2:33 PM

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished over twitter, facebook and forum boards.

I believe sponsors like to take on people who are active on Twitter, Facebook, and have blogs.  This is how they (sponsors) will get their name seen and out there.  You will mention their product and/or have links to their sites, which is what they want.  Exposure.  Positive exposure.

2012-06-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4269743

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Fastyellow - 2012-06-19 12:33 PM

thats a good point. I guess I don't think of myself as anything special other than an advocate for disabled veterans and I would like to get that message out there. Not really sure how to go about getting support for Team RWB but I'm open for all suggestions...
2012-06-19 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

First off, you need a better attitude towards yourself.

You sound very humble...and that's great. But you need to have more confidence in your ability to promote and be liked. You have a TON to offer and your cause is good. Trust me, people will gravitate towards you if you give them the chance.

If you are going to be at a race, tell people on twitter and facebook. Tell them to come up and say hi, you would love to meet them. Tell them you will stop by their booth and introduce yourself (sponsors have booths and people working them that can help you!!)

You need to play the part...act like you are the biggest thing going on...Be super sharp in your appearance and take pride in it. Sponsors love folks that look good and talk to everyone and are very vibrant.

2012-06-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4269806

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Fastyellow - 2012-06-19 12:55 PM

First off, you need a better attitude towards yourself.

You sound very humble...and that's great. But you need to have more confidence in your ability to promote and be liked. You have a TON to offer and your cause is good. Trust me, people will gravitate towards you if you give them the chance.

If you are going to be at a race, tell people on twitter and facebook. Tell them to come up and say hi, you would love to meet them. Tell them you will stop by their booth and introduce yourself (sponsors have booths and people working them that can help you!!)

You need to play the part...act like you are the biggest thing going on...Be super sharp in your appearance and take pride in it. Sponsors love folks that look good and talk to everyone and are very vibrant.

I understand what you are saying. I guess I am humble. I just try to work hard and do my best. Again I don't care about personal acclaims just want this cause to take off and help others. I could tell people that I went from almost losing my left foot to an injury and being crazy overweight to now running triathlons etc. Not sure if that would impress the elite but it might help the average guy out there trying to do this for the first time.
2012-06-19 2:04 PM

User image

New user
Ilinois
a good place to start would be a LBS. You can get some pretty good discounts.
2012-06-19 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4269722

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fastyellow - 2012-06-19 1:27 PM

pffffffffffffft, I married my sponsor! LOL

2012-06-19 5:17 PM

User image

You've gotten a lot of good advice here.  The big points I would take away are (by the way I have no filter between my brain and my mouth):

1) Be more realistic about your value and impact as a person and a triathlete. You're downplaying your personal value too much. It isn't just about racing.  It's about being a good ambassador.  That means that even when you're hurting and your race sucks, you're encouraging those around you.  Being humble is good - but when a potential sponsor asks you what you have to offer, don't be afraid to tell them what makes you a good ambassador (but don't brag).  You'll figure out the difference.  You don't have to be the fastest person out there (it does help to be fast).  But make an impression.

2) Someone mentioned a blog.  I didn't see a link for one...  Start one if you haven't already.  Start a twitter page as well.  You should be having an affair with social media and blogging by the time you're looking for a sponsor.  Sponsors want time in front of their target audience.  How can you give them that?  When you get on twitter, be inspiring, motivating, or funny.  But never offensive, crass, or anything that you couldn't show to my 5 year old.  It makes it easier for sponsors to get an idea of who you are if you're visible.

3) Look at signatures for a while.  Start asking those ag'ers who have "sponsored by" in the signature line what they did to get that. I suggest you pm them - not everyone is comfortable talking about their sponsorship in public, and may have signed a contract that limits what they can say.

4) Get an athlinks account so when a potential sponsor asks for your results, you can refer them to the "facts"

5) Find out how you can make an impact in your community.  Sponsors love altruistic athletes, and they love how charity looks on them.

6) Your side of sponsorship might begin to resemble a part time job.  Be realistic.  If it looks like it's going to take to much to fulfill responsibilities, don't do it.  Don't be afraid to turn down a sponsorship because you can't handle it, and you're afraid you won't get another.  Nothing is more important than you and your family being happy.

And last, enjoy the ride.  This is what you make of it - I'm sure that you'll be given a stick and build a cabin.

PS Thanks for your service.

2012-06-19 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4270261

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
ironultrared - 2012-06-19 4:17 PM

You've gotten a lot of good advice here.  The big points I would take away are (by the way I have no filter between my brain and my mouth):

1) Be more realistic about your value and impact as a person and a triathlete. You're downplaying your personal value too much. It isn't just about racing.  It's about being a good ambassador.  That means that even when you're hurting and your race sucks, you're encouraging those around you.  Being humble is good - but when a potential sponsor asks you what you have to offer, don't be afraid to tell them what makes you a good ambassador (but don't brag).  You'll figure out the difference.  You don't have to be the fastest person out there (it does help to be fast).  But make an impression.

2) Someone mentioned a blog.  I didn't see a link for one...  Start one if you haven't already.  Start a twitter page as well.  You should be having an affair with social media and blogging by the time you're looking for a sponsor.  Sponsors want time in front of their target audience.  How can you give them that?  When you get on twitter, be inspiring, motivating, or funny.  But never offensive, crass, or anything that you couldn't show to my 5 year old.  It makes it easier for sponsors to get an idea of who you are if you're visible.

3) Look at signatures for a while.  Start asking those ag'ers who have "sponsored by" in the signature line what they did to get that. I suggest you pm them - not everyone is comfortable talking about their sponsorship in public, and may have signed a contract that limits what they can say.

4) Get an athlinks account so when a potential sponsor asks for your results, you can refer them to the "facts"

5) Find out how you can make an impact in your community.  Sponsors love altruistic athletes, and they love how charity looks on them.

6) Your side of sponsorship might begin to resemble a part time job.  Be realistic.  If it looks like it's going to take to much to fulfill responsibilities, don't do it.  Don't be afraid to turn down a sponsorship because you can't handle it, and you're afraid you won't get another.  Nothing is more important than you and your family being happy.

And last, enjoy the ride.  This is what you make of it - I'm sure that you'll be given a stick and build a cabin.

PS Thanks for your service.

Thank you so much for your help... I am really just trying to take the motivation that I have inside me and scream from the mountains to the masses two things:
1) YOU CAN DO IT....no matter what anyone tells you, no matter how many times you've been knocked down, you can get back up and keep pressing on.
2) Our military veterans and disabled veterans need your help..I've been over there and it is like nothing I could have imagined. Everyday thousands of men and women stand up and fight for this country and when they get home it is our job to fight for them.

Again just on my soap box there but thank you again .. I love all the help and advice

2012-06-19 7:15 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Real, genuine sponsors only want one thing: Exposure.

When a tennis player, Olympic athlete, Formula 1 driver or top PGA Golfer's agent goes to Coca-Cola, Rolex, BMW and the ad agencies for other top brands they don't say, "Joe Golfer won the Golf World Championships" or "Susy Swimmer won four Olympic golds". They say, "Susy Swimmer has three covers on Sports Illustrated, one on Time, one on Newsweek and generates 50 million search returns on Google."

Those are the metrics a genuine sponsor measures: Number and frequency of exposures.

When you pitch a prospective sponsor on yourself it is incumbent that you prove you can generate exposures they would not have otherwise had. Race results don't count. If you think they do name the 5th place man at the Ford Ironman World Championships in Kona off the top of your head right now without a Google search, then, for bonus points, tell me who his sponsors are. I couldn't do it either.

Check this out:

As of June 18, 2012 Maria Sharapova is ranked the #1 female single tennis player in the world. Google her name (I just did): 6,630,000 results. Impressive.

Now, Anna Kournikova won a relatively obscure doubles tennis title some years ago. Google her name. Hmmmm. 11,800,000 results. Whoa. That is nearly double the current World Singles Champion.

Kournikova is more sensational, has weilded the media more skillfully and, as a result, getting Anna Kournikova to wear an Omega watch costs the company about twice as much as getting current #1 player Maria Sharipova to wear one. And its worth it in terms of media exposures.

Now, boil that down to our level and ask yourself, "What media do I return to sponsors they otherwise wouldn't have?" A blog, a Facebook page with 5000 "friends" (Facebook now lets you camouflage a "fan" page as a normal page to a degree, uping the number of "friends" you can have), local media through TV news, Youtube, local print newspapers- you need to give your sponsors exposure across all those media and then return to them and say, "Look! I have 3,000 new Facebook 'friends', a new blog I update every week, two stories in the local newspaper, post regularly on triathlon forums, I got on local TV for helping a charity and more!"

That is a lot of work. Hard work. If you aren't prepared to devote the hours to doing it sponsorship isn't for you. It may be better to just enjoy racing.

Sponsorship is not a hand-out. Sponsorship, real sponsorship at any level,  is a job, and a tough one. It takes time, creativity and devotion.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-06-19 7:17 PM
2012-06-19 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Tom
Thanks for the advice. I guess my thinking is that I would like to get more exposure to team RWB so maybe I should just focus there. Not really sure how to go about it all
2012-06-19 10:37 PM

User image

Why don't you start a blog that chronicles your tri journey? That's a good place to begin getting exposure. And you can focus attention on RWB as well.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-06-19 10:38 PM
2012-06-19 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4270710

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
ironultrared - 2012-06-19 9:37 PM

Why don't you start a blog that chronicles your tri journey? That's a good place to begin getting exposure. And you can focus attention on RWB as well.

That's actually my plan. I'd like to start a blog that linked to the athletes page on RWB. Any good blog starting sites out there?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sponsered AGers Rss Feed  

of 2