Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Just moved to Melbourne! Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-19 3:48 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Subject: Just moved to Melbourne!
Hi all. Just moved to Melbourne on Saturday from Chicago. While most here think its 'cold' I think the weather is amazing and I want to get back in shape!We just signed a lease in S Melbourne (big apt bulding at st kilda and Albert rd). Any suggestions on a gym close by? I'm looking for somewhere with a pool, decent free weight areas and maybe even classes such as yoga or something of the sort to force me to stretch once in a while. Most people I have asked have said gyms are too expensive. How much is reasonable to pay here?I can run in the botanical gardens or along the lake nearby, but i know nothing of where to ride. Saw the federation trail in an earlier post, but eventually will be looking for something longer than a 2km loop. I only have a tri bike, and probably won't buy a roadie, so I'll be looking for something open where I can get aero and ride for a bit. Anyone have routes that they can recommend? Are roads generally safe to ride on here? Any tips on things to be aware of? I'm still getting used to cars driving in the 'wrong' side of the road (or is it that we drive in the wring side?!?!? =)I appreciate any help!!

2012-06-19 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4268515

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Just moved to Melbourne!

matcrawf - 2012-06-19 3:48 AM Hi all. Just moved to Melbourne on Saturday from Chicago. While most here think its 'cold' I think the weather is amazing and I want to get back in shape!We just signed a lease in S Melbourne (big apt bulding at st kilda and Albert rd). Any suggestions on a gym close by? I'm looking for somewhere with a pool, decent free weight areas and maybe even classes such as yoga or something of the sort to force me to stretch once in a while. Most people I have asked have said gyms are too expensive. How much is reasonable to pay here?I can run in the botanical gardens or along the lake nearby, but i know nothing of where to ride. Saw the federation trail in an earlier post, but eventually will be looking for something longer than a 2km loop. I only have a tri bike, and probably won't buy a roadie, so I'll be looking for something open where I can get aero and ride for a bit. Anyone have routes that they can recommend? Are roads generally safe to ride on here? Any tips on things to be aware of? I'm still getting used to cars driving in the 'wrong' side of the road (or is it that we drive in the wring side?!?!? =)I appreciate any help!!

Hi and welcome - what a good spot to live.  I work with a guy who goes to a gym and lives in your area - I'll ask him for a recommendation.

Check out Melbourne Park Run - it's a 5/10km run round Albert Park on Saturday mornings starts 7am (I think they have a website)  Not sure if it's free...I've not made it there yet.

For riding - you will notice countless cyclists early Saturday/Sunday morning heading along Beach Road and the Esplanade.  For you head south - it's undulating hills, nothing major - traffic is not bad early mornings - the bikes are the biggest issue but sounds like you're experienced.  Heaps of cycle shops in Melbourne that do organised rides along Beach Road.  If you do from your place to Mordialloc i think it's about 60km round trip or you can keep going all the way along the coast as far as you like !  You will never be a lone cyclist on that road.

The roads are fairly safe and Beach Road all the motorists are 'expecting' to see cyclists so tend to know how to deal with them a bit better,  just keep your wits about you!

Enjoy Melbourne. (I agree with the cold comment, I'm from England so this 'cold snap' we are having now, isn't that bad is it?)

2012-06-19 9:02 PM

Welcome to Melbourne. MSAC is a great facility just up the road at Albert Park, great pools, also gym and classes and even basketball, squash, table tennis etc facilities. There's also a flat 5K loop around the park. You can ride around Albert Park as well but it's a pretty short loop, as the other poster suggested Beach Rd will be your friend. The streets around Port Melbourne also tend to be quiet. I don't think you'll have trouble finding cycling friends. There are lots of clubs too.
2012-06-20 4:49 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Thank you both!!
2012-06-20 6:07 AM
in reply to: #4270834

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

Out of curiosity, how much do most gyms cost per month?  MSAC is $104 - they do have a lot of facilities which might justify the cost, but I am trying to find something in the $50 - $75 range if at all possible.    If this is the best I can do, I can suck it up.   

Thanks!

2012-06-20 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4270874

User image

Elite
matcrawf - 2012-06-20 6:07 AM

Out of curiosity, how much do most gyms cost per month?  MSAC is $104 - they do have a lot of facilities which might justify the cost, but I am trying to find something in the $50 - $75 range if at all possible.    If this is the best I can do, I can suck it up.   

Thanks!

I used to belong to a Goodlife Gym - cost around $75 a month.  MSAC is a great facility though - good swim squads there too.....

2012-07-15 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Haven't been on the forum for a while so sorry for the tardy reply to your original post.

For gyms, check out the Virgin Active on Bourke street, bit of a tram ride or bike ride for you to get to, however think it would be in your price range so well worth checking out. 

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Just moved to Melbourne! Rss Feed