General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Season Done Before it Starts-Motivation Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-23 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Another Season Done Before it Starts-Motivation Needed
I have had more injuries in the last 5 years and none are actually related to training.

two back surgeries, various small ailments, a broken ankle and now because of the ankle it appears that I have a nerve impingement or a osteochondral defect.

what's this mean? It means for the 5th straight year I will not be participating in a triathlon, the weight is coming on and I am getting almost depressed by it all...someone help me to get motivated please.

I go to the pool and zombie my way through 2k, I go for a ride and cannot power up hills (ankle) and there are nothing but hills where I live.

No idea where to start again and what to do to get going.

Sorry for bitchy whiny post.

2012-06-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4276633

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Another Season Done Before it Starts-Motivation Needed

That can be discouraging.  I hope you heal quickly.

How is your swimming?  If it needs work, maybe you can set some goals for improvment and work on that while maintaining a good aerobic base, and consider entering some ows races?

If it's already awesome, then consider some ows races to have something to inspire you to work hard to hit the podium in them?

2012-06-23 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Since swimming seems to be your main 'thing' right now, some find that varying their swim sets helps avoid boredom.  Drills like kick/balance/pulls help break up the routine too.  Might consider entering local swim event if that appeals to you. 

Maybe volunteer at local tri's to stay connected?  Not quite same thing, but many a good baseball umpire started officiating as a way to stay involved their sport.

On the bike- might changing up your gearing (compact, bigger cassette) allow you to continue riding those hills?  Or perhaps an ankle shim might help-

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2006/letters07-31

BTW- It's great that you are still working out swimming!!!  My swim motivation is WAY down this year for some reason.

No need to be sorry for your post.  Everyone gets down sometimes.  Support is part of BT 'mission'.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

2012-06-23 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Not a lot of ows comps up here although it is a good idea to stay involved. All of the masters pool meets are all done for the season so that's not choice.

First I have to motivate myself to get into the ows mode of training...well that and squeeze myself into my formally fitting wetsuit
2012-06-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4276723

Sorry to be harsh, but go take a look at someone who has it worse than you, and be grateful for what you have, rather than sad for what you don't.
2012-06-23 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Find a cyclist and a runner and enter tris as a team. Almost all the tris around here will take teams, and plenty of people only want to do one event (and it's always hardest to find a swimmer!). Sorry for all your hard times, that stinks.

2012-06-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4276749

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
mellicon - 2012-06-23 11:42 AM

Sorry to be harsh, but go take a look at someone who has it worse than you, and be grateful for what you have, rather than sad for what you don't.

Not sad for what I don't have as I am not defined by what I do in sport, nor do I compare myself to others good or bad...just unmotivated to get going in training this year.

thanks for trolling.
2012-06-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4276807

slow triathlete - 2012-06-23 2:42 PM
mellicon - 2012-06-23 11:42 AM Sorry to be harsh, but go take a look at someone who has it worse than you, and be grateful for what you have, rather than sad for what you don't.
Not sad for what I don't have as I am not defined by what I do in sport, nor do I compare myself to others good or bad...just unmotivated to get going in training this year. thanks for trolling.

Thanks for being nasty and making it personal.

On a more productive note, volunteering at races can be a very positive outlet.

Edited by mellicon 2012-06-23 2:52 PM
2012-06-23 3:02 PM

User image

Elite

we've all been there...hang in there.  do what you can to be and stay healthy.  sometimes it means rest, sometimes it means dialing down intensity...sometimes it means temporary rest or modifying workouts.  Stay positive, it gets better!

...and for what it's worth, I don't believe mellicon was trolling.  In fact, it really is good advice to look around and see others out there have bigger obstacles facing them.  No harm intended!  we've all been there...and will likely be there again!  ...hopefully not too soon  Good luck!

2012-06-23 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Portland

If I were in this situation I would reflect on what doing a tri does for me. For myself I like how alive I feel when I exercise and I like the challenge that training in three sports offers and the creativity and sensitivity involved in working on good swimming form. So if I couldn't compete or exercise I would try to do other things that met those needs. What else could I do that would be challenging? That would demand my creativity and make me feel alive. Triathlon training is a strategy that meets my needs for those things but other things could do it just as well. Instead of getting fixated on your preferred way to satisfy those parts of your life look and see what else you could do. 

My dream for myself and anyone I encounter on this site or meet is for them to live a life full of aliveness and challenge. To live a life that expands instead of contracts. I know from personal experience that humans esp. ones willing to do something like tris have a great capacity for growth and transformation. I hope you maintain your sense of hope and that you find other ways to fulfill the longing for aliveness that I read in your post. 

2012-06-23 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I was out with a stress fracture last year after one race. I know how frustrating it can be. (hugs)

I still did a lot of activity as I was healing, believe it or not. I have a heavy boxing bag at home and would use that a few times a week. I kept swimming. It seems like you belong to a gym with a pool -- does the gym have one of those machines that's a bike but using your arms?

I also love the idea of swimming on a relay team. It would keep you motivated to train.

2012-06-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4276907

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I found an OWS race at the end of July and it has the added dimension of being an MS fundraiser (few members of our family have MS)...I think I can get moving to at the very least complete the 1.5k, at this point doubtful I will compete but it is always about the journey vice the final destination...thanks all!!
2012-06-23 5:40 PM

Sorry - that's unbelievably frustrating.  Maybe find a Century ride that's relatively flat.  Even if you have to travel a ways, just to treat yourself and have a target to aim at.  good luck and God speed with repair and recovery. 

2012-06-23 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I totally get it.

I have had medical issues last 2.5 years. I struggled through training and racing in 2010 and 2011. 

This year I'm having significant pain in my knees, hips and one shoulder. Running is totally out. Swimming my shoulder bothers me and riding knees and right hip. Doctors haven't been able to diagnosis what's wrong with me.

I understand how hard it is to do something on a limited basis due to injury.

2012-06-23 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4276969

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Sorry to hear that...maybe we should start a support group..."I'm a triathlete and I'm injury prone"*

*not a slight against anyone in a support group only a small joke.

2012-06-23 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

DO THIS:

You mention "zombie" through 2K in the pool - join a Masters group for more focused workouts and accountability; or at a minimum find a couple of swim partners.

For cycling - is there any way you can get a trainer?  No hills and you have full control over the intensity.

For run fitness you can try the dreaded pool running, which will help you keep some run fitness.

You mentioned you've gained weight: Focus on your diet - you'll have a little more time on your hands - clean up your diet (if it needs it) and now is the time to be super cautious with what you put in your mouth.  Don't throw too many pity parties - remember, it's that much harder to get back to your "A" body if you put on too much weight.

2012-06-23 7:14 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

If you don't really like any of the exercise you are doing, and you're not racing anyway...why not do exercise you DO like? Pool run (okay, some people do like it). Ride a trainer and read your way through the classics or watch all 7 seasons of Buffy. Take up rowing. Play golf (yes, golf can be exercise). Learn to canoe. Do yoga. Buy a handcycle.

There are lots of ways to be fit and active, and to indulge your competitive spirit and goal driven nature without triathlon. Millions of people do it every day :-)

Good luck!

2012-06-23 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
OK, no more bitchy whiny. You are preaching to the choir here at BT on injuries, we have all been there, done that.  Not to make light of your personal circumstance's, but start thinking of CAN, not CAN"T.  What can you do? What brings you satisfaction in terms of physical activity?  Can't ride hills, get a trainer.  Can't get through your swims, get a partner to help, join a masters group etc.  Or quit alltogether and find another outlet that you CAN do and that you enjoy doing.  Not participating in triathlon is not the end of the world, the game leaves us all behind at some point.  You just gotta find another game when that happens.
2012-06-23 10:45 PM

User image

Pro

You know....staying fit doesn't have to be all about triathlon....in looking your list of ailments you;d be a perfect candidate for some long distance kayaking....I can speak from experience when I tell you it's a great sport.  Look around....there's more....lots more!  Triathlon is just one game....if you can't get there right now find another game.

Good luck.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-06-23 10:46 PM
2016-06-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: slow triathlete

User image

I feel your pain. After being out of the sport for many years I decided to start training a few years back. But after 2 knee surgeries my knees hurt and I'd developed adult onset asthma, so I couldn't breathe. I have bone spurs in my shoulders so swimming and lifting weights were painful. So I couldn't run and I couldn't swim.

But I saw a Dr. and he told me it is OK to use my inhaler as a preventative, I altered my lifting techniques and exercises to relieve the pain in my shoulders, and I am taking running very slowly. I realize for me it will be a long process, I will have to be patient, and it is going to be trial and (painful) error to find out how I can or can't train. But I am confident many triathlons are in my future.

My suggestion is to find things you can do (or adjust somethings) that limit your pain and discomfort, and give your injuries time to heal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Season Done Before it Starts-Motivation Needed Rss Feed