General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon Vs. Aluminum Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-23 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Carbon Vs. Aluminum Road Bike

Is it really worth the difference in cost?

I am looking at buying a Felt and could save over $1000 if I didn't go with Carbon.

Pros?

Cons?

2012-06-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4276896

User image

New user
Ilinois
Subject: RE: Carbon Vs. Aluminum Road Bike

Well, I guess it comes down to what you are looking for.

Aluminum and carbon, contrary to popular belief, are often times pretty similiar in weight. You can find top of the line aluminum bikes for ~cost of a mid/low level carbon bike. 

Carbon, IMO, has a smoother ride. I don't feel like I'm getting the snot jarred out of me while riding it. 

and it looks more pro. which is of the upmost importance.

What kind of riding are you going to be using it for? What kind of expierence do you have on bikes? Are you planning on upgrading any time soon? What kind of budget do you have?

2012-06-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4276905

User image

Expert
Ryangh24 - 2012-06-23 4:36 PM

What kind of riding are you going to be using it for? What kind of expierence do you have on bikes? Are you planning on upgrading any time soon? What kind of budget do you have?

For now it is going to be used for triathlon training/racing.  I also am going to be using it for recreational riding/training.

My experience is limited, I just know that my Trek hybrid is not what I want/need anymore.

I would like this bike to be my main bike for at least a few years.  Ideally, get me through the next 3-4 years of triathlons/riding.  Including my Ironman goal in 3 years.

Budget isn't unlimited, I am saving right now, and am looking to spend around $2000-$2500

2012-06-23 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4276914

User image

New user
Ilinois
RushTogether - 2012-06-23 4:42 PM
Ryangh24 - 2012-06-23 4:36 PM

For now it is going to be used for triathlon training/racing.  I also am going to be using it for recreational riding/training.

My experience is limited, I just know that my Trek hybrid is not what I want/need anymore.

I would like this bike to be my main bike for at least a few years.  Ideally, get me through the next 3-4 years of triathlons/riding.  Including my Ironman goal in 3 years.

Budget isn't unlimited, I am saving right now, and am looking to spend around $2000-$2500

I haven't ever ridden one, but I've heard a lot of people like the aluminum cannondales. 

2012-06-23 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
RushTogether - 2012-06-23 11:29 PM

Is it really worth the difference in cost?

Forget brands forget material.

First: Decide on your budget. What's your soft limit? what's your hard limit? 

Second: Consider the bike value: Do you expect this to be the bike of a lifetime? Or will it be the first of many?

If you want the bike of a lifetime, then you should look into getting the best frame, parts will be replaced as needed. If on the other hand this will be your first bike as you gain experience with the sport, then you might consider your buy thinking about how well it retains it value when sold second hand.

I have no idea, but I suspect: All development goes into carbon frames, you can get good deals buying last years model, the difference will be subtle, in particular if you're not among those racing for the podium last years model will do just as good. But as with anything in rapid development, it may not retain value so well even if it remains a great bike. I'd expect the aluminium frames to change less, so after a few years it may be older but no significant difference from newer models. 

Either way, if you ride and race the same bike, well you'll get accustomed to whatever you have, you'll have great rides and fun races. The advice I was given was, "get one that fits." 

Cheers, Erik

2012-06-23 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Depends on what you are gaining with the carbon; if you are getting a more aerodynamic frame shape, then, for tri's it is worth it if you are looking to save handfuls of seconds over 40km. If you are doing it to save weight, then for tri's you are pretty much wasting your money.

Contrary to popular belief, carbon isn't always smoother and alu isn't always harsh. It can be that way but the way a frame rides has more to do with the geometry than the material. Further, tire selection and pressure has more bearing on how a bike will ride than frame material IME.

Shane

2012-06-23 5:11 PM

Cannondale CAAD 10-4...under 2k and better than most carbon bikes you'll consider. Save the rest for the Cervelo P2 you'll buy next spring.
2012-06-23 5:38 PM

you couldnt pay me to ride an aluminum bike.   my first bike was a caad cannondale from 3 years ago.  granted, cannondale could have made a better bike now.   the main reason why i wont ride aluminum anymore is because your body feels every single bump in the road.  

when you go test ride an aluminum and carbon bike, please take both bikes for a test ride and see how much difference each bike handles the potholes and bumps.   your arms and shoulders will be the shock absorbors riding an aluminum bike. 

2012-06-23 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Agree w/Shane.  I have wasted more $$ on road bikes than I care to admit, and current stable inc AL & full carbons.  Big advantage of carbon is its versatility for bikes- from flexy/comfy to ultrastiff/harsh depending on specific build.  Remember also that wheels & tires make a HUGE difference.  For example,  my "harsh" Cannondale AL CAAD5 shod with traditional 32-spoke wheels & 25c tires @ 90 psi is smoother riding than my all-carbon Synapse with Ksyrium SSC SL's & 23c tires @ 110 psi.  (BTW- I have ridden mult centuries in both these set ups.) I would imagine things might be similar in Felt product line.

Only you can decide if all-carbon is "worth" the $1000.  That $1k could buy some pretty nice wheels

Edited by Oldteen 2012-06-23 6:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon Vs. Aluminum Road Bike Rss Feed