General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote - thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-24 1:46 AM

User image

Veteran
London, England
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote - thoughts?

I'm about to sign up for Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote, which is 10 November this year.  Don't know much about it, though - anybody know anything about the race, the venue, etc.?

2012-06-24 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4277266

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote - thoughts?
I've done the full.  If it's anything like that, then assume hilly and windy.  They do mention Fire Mountain on the bike which has a both.  The IM swim was two loops, so I assume you are just doing one.  The run sounds like it's the same along the beach.  I wrote a very extensive race report on the full which should give you a good feel for what to expect in the half. 
2012-06-24 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
byrdnj - 2012-06-24 1:46 AM

I'm about to sign up for Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote, which is 10 November this year.  Don't know much about it, though - anybody know anything about the race, the venue, etc.?

go buy a hat and hang onto it. currents in the swim, strong winds, huge climbs and heat. I did most of the full one year. most. the location is awesome and definitely worth the trip. I plan to go back one day.

2012-06-25 2:07 AM
in reply to: #4277913

User image

Veteran
London, England

enginerd - 2012-06-24 7:55 PM I've done the full.  If it's anything like that, then assume hilly and windy.  They do mention Fire Mountain on the bike which has a both.  The IM swim was two loops, so I assume you are just doing one.  The run sounds like it's the same along the beach.  I wrote a very extensive race report on the full which should give you a good feel for what to expect in the half. 

Great race report - provided a nice hour of reading last night!  Sounds like a rather tough, but doable, venue - and happy to see that you survived those downhills...

2012-06-25 4:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
byrdnj - 2012-06-24 8:46 AM

AFAIK Lanzarote IM is considered the European equivalent of the Hawaii IM, or maybe we just like to think that since nobody here have been to Hawaii Tongue out. I have thought about going this november too, celebrating my birthday three days before the race, but I'm not sure if I'll get ready for it.

The swim is in a deep bay, well actually a closed lagoon, in front of Club La Santa Sport so don't expect currents, the fairly still water may also be nice and warm, I don't know if that means wet-suit prohibited.

I think the main challenge is the bike lots of climbing in a volcanic desert terrain, very barren, no shade from the sun and no cover from the wind. 

Alternatives are Ocean Lava on the other side of Lanzarote sept. 8, different bike course, they mention a climb of 20%!, the Challenge Fuerteventura in april, the island next to Lanzarote is like a slice of sahara, ocean swim and a much flatter bike course, or Extrememan Menorca on the Balearean islands sept. 23 also much flatter bike, I think the climate on Menorca is more stable being in the Mediterainean rather than the Atlantic, all are the HIM distance. And finally, there's Barcelona Half Challenge in may. 

I haven't done either of these, but living in Spain they are all on my list.

2012-07-02 1:08 PM

2012-09-09 5:49 AM

User image

New user

Lanzarote

Hi I'm doing the lanzarote ironman 70.3, i done the quarter distance oceanlava yesterday, it was my first race, I only started triathlon training at the beginning of june 2012 after my brother came out here and done the full ironman, it  was such a great experience supporting him and everyone that i thought i want to do this, so i brought a bike and met a great couple called Daz and Deb's from tri-sports lanzarote which helped my Brother out a great deal, I am now 7 weeks into my 70.3 training programme with them and finished the ocean lava yesterday in 2hrs 50mins. I am so happy with this time after 7 weeks of training.

Keep me posted if you are going to do it, it is in a different location to the full ironman, it should be cooler aswell being in November, it was hot yesterday on the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Lanzarote - thoughts? Rss Feed