This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jblamb1401 2012-06-27 8:36 AM

2012-06-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4282524

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: iPhone Legal?
duder5189 - 2012-06-27 7:29 AM

thebigb - 2012-06-27 3:56 AM Hopefully they don't change the rule.  Iphones and the like have no place on a race course, none.  There are plenty of other ways for family and friends to know how you're doing and plenty of other ways to track speed/power etc.  As soon as they allow them you'll have a thousand idiots using them for music, texting and calling during the event.  

This is very close-minded.  Clearly you can see how the lines between "phone" and "bike computer" are being blurred by technology.  Bike computers are perfectly acceptable...but if that bike computer can also be used to make a phone call - even if it's not being used to do so - it's illegal?

I understand that officials can't tell what you're doing if your "phone" is out so I get that it's not an easy thing to officiate and why they don't just embrace it with open arms.  But they should certainly be talking about it and considering options - technology is forcing them to do so.  They definitely shouldn't turn their back on the whole thing, plug their ears and walk out of the room like you seem to be doing.

I don't think a thousand idiots would be using other functions of their "phones" and screwing up your race.  They'd be using it as a bike computer and following the rules.

Also...long course tri's that might not have great support or many people at all in places way out on the bike course....wouldn't you want to be able to make a call if you get injured, break your bike, etc?  Absolutely no place for a phone on a race course, really?

I can certainly agree that the line is being blurred but that does not mean I cannot have an opinion.  IMO, they have no place on a race course because of the people that will use them for other purposes than just solely as a computer.  It's hard enough dodging them during running races because, unfortunately, most running races allow head phones.  And while this wouldn't be allowing headphones you will have people that feel this gives them ability to do just that.  No thank you.  Also, if I were racing any event that I felt I would be so alone and so without help that I'd need a phone or die, I'd find a different event to participate in.

2012-06-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4282524

Master
Northern IL

duder5189 - 2012-06-27 8:29 AM

Also...long course tri's that might not have great support or many people at all in places way out on the bike course....wouldn't you want to be able to make a call if you get injured, break your bike, etc?  Absolutely no place for a phone on a race course, really?

Actually, you can have the phone with. You just can't use it unless you stop and get off to the side.

I understand the frustration of not being able to use the phone as the bike computer and agree that most would be fine doing just that, but we all know that there absolutely will be some who won't follow this. Ideas on how to keep these people from doing that? It doesn't take much for them to become a hazard to others.

2012-06-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4282541

Master
Northern IL
jblamb1401 - 2012-06-27 8:34 AM

My opinion, and I realize that I have zero credibility as a lurker, is that this interpretation of the rule is ridiculous.  If you read the rules in their entirety you quickly see that they were written primarily to prevent an outside advantage over other competitors and to ensure the safety of all racers.

Rule 3.4i is written to prevent people from wearing headphones while racing and to prevent radio communication with others.  Just because a smartphone gives the ability to break these rules doesn't mean they should be illegal.  The intent and use of the device has to be addressed.

You cannot tell me that this:

(pic removed)

is inherently more dangerous or provides any competitive advantage over this:

(pic removed)

The only difference is that the top one is illegal because it has the ability to break a rule.  The technology has advanced past the usefullness of this rule and it needs to be addressed.  

Although USAT's head official has a clear position on this issue (that they are illegal), there is no full understanding among race officials.  Several on this thread have reported breaking this rule without incident and others have commented that they were specifically banned from their races.  This is not ok. 

It's not, when kept to that info. And I think the head referee would agree with you, they are going to look at the rule again. But how do you make sure people only use it for that? It doesn't take many to really mess up a race, and some always think they're the exception.

2012-06-27 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4282586

Chicago
brigby1 - 2012-06-27 8:48 AM

duder5189 - 2012-06-27 8:29 AM

Actually, you can have the phone with. You just can't use it unless you stop and get off to the side.

I understand the frustration of not being able to use the phone as the bike computer and agree that most would be fine doing just that, but we all know that there absolutely will be some who won't follow this. Ideas on how to keep these people from doing that? It doesn't take much for them to become a hazard to others.

I know you can have it with you...that was in response to the guy above who apparently doesn't even think it's ok to put a phone in your saddle bag for emergencies.

As far as keeping people that have a bike computer/phone all in one from using the other illegal functions of their phone...I think you enforce it the way you enforce every other rule.  You put it on the rules sheet in everybody's packet, you announce it several times before the race (same as pass on the left, no headphones, etc) and threaten to penalize and DQ violators if they are caught.  I think by and large, most triathletes want to follow the rules.

You're right it's not perfect...and I don't necessarily love the idea of people abusing this and creating a hazard, but I also don't love the idea of flat out banning something that people train with and would have every intention of using within the rules.

2012-06-27 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4282613

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jblamb1401 2012-06-27 9:43 AM

2012-06-27 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4279230

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
IMO it's too easy to turn it into mp3 radio communicator etc if no ones around. You're only guilty if you get caught right? There was a guy in a race I was in use the iPhone speaker to play music. I did overhear him say to someone else as he passed us that he was using map my run app at the same time. I dont know if he got a penalty for it - I didn't look. A sprint would probably to conjested to get away with it but I could see it used during a gap in a HIM & IM. Pretty easy to pause/unpause. Or hiding a blue tooth in a aero helmet wouldn't be that difficult either.
2012-06-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4282228

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Tofu - 2012-06-27 1:26 AM

This is really too bad I use my phone as my bike computer now and it's really nice that My family can watch my progress as I go along. I think you should be allowed to use it. Basically its like they are demanding I spent another few hundred dollars to get another device that while nice I don't really need because I have an Iphone. I know triathletes are all rich but... I teach preschool another bike computer is like a quarter of a months salary for me or more. 

I understand the concern, but you can just easily be distracted by looking at your bike computer or for your family or friends on the side. 

What?  My bike computer was $40.

2012-06-27 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4283000

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Artemis - 2012-06-27 11:31 AM
Tofu - 2012-06-27 1:26 AM

This is really too bad I use my phone as my bike computer now and it's really nice that My family can watch my progress as I go along. I think you should be allowed to use it. Basically its like they are demanding I spent another few hundred dollars to get another device that while nice I don't really need because I have an Iphone. I know triathletes are all rich but... I teach preschool another bike computer is like a quarter of a months salary for me or more. 

I understand the concern, but you can just easily be distracted by looking at your bike computer or for your family or friends on the side. 

What?  My bike computer was $40.

I think he's talking about devices with a GPS function. But even with something like a Garmin, your friends/family can't track you in real-time. The cellular devices (and ones you can rent from places like myathletelive.com) are the only ones that can do that.

But if you're just needing a bike computer, here ya go. Starting at $14.99.

Edited by lisac957 2012-06-27 12:06 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPhone Legal? Rss Feed  

of 2