General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Volume High Intensity 70.3 and Full Ironman Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-26 9:24 AM

User image

Subject: Low Volume High Intensity 70.3 and Full Ironman Plans

I've been following Brian MacKenzie's approach to low volume / high intensity training and it makes a lot of sense to me - more importantly, it works. I've seen a big improvement in all my swim/bike/run times and I want to follow a plan for my 1/2 Ironman I'm doing this year. Does anyone know of any plans or trainers available online?

A great article on this training  http://crossfitverobeach.typepad.com/files/competitor_06_2011_cfe1.pdf

2012-06-26 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4280754

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Subject: RE: Low Volume High Intensity 70.3 and Full Ironman Plans
HIT is pure awesomeness for sure, but keep in mind that you can't do HIT all the time. You will need to cycle it with other training regimes, that is unless your body considers 70.3 and 140.6 short.
2012-06-26 1:21 PM

Regular
You could take a look at the Chris Carmichaels book - Time Crunched Triathlete - he has a 70.3 plan in the back of that book. I have used a lot of the principals that he talks about in that book and found them very sucessful - one thing he does stress though with this kind of training, recovery is king and taking down time from these kind of high intensity training blocks is essential - intensity needs to be managed in order for it to be effective in the long term 
2012-06-29 6:52 AM

New user

Arlington, Virginia

Does anyone else have experience with Carmichael's program?  I'm a fairly experienced triathlete, strong swimmer and good runner but I'm still developing skills and speed on the bike.  I'm doing 40+ mile training rides very comfortably and would like to give a HIM distance a go but the time to do the long bike rides is scarce.  Any input or advice would be appreciated.  I'm looking to do one near DC. I had registered for the now defunct HIM at Nat'l Harbor but there are other non IM brand races here in late Sept and Oct.

Thanks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Volume High Intensity 70.3 and Full Ironman Plans Rss Feed