General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trication plannining--Boise, St. George, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-26 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Trication plannining--Boise, St. George, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe
Our intended road trip to the Grand Canyon has inadvertently become a tri-cation as my planned first HIM was cut short by cold weather and snow. Signed up for another next month and now still training. We are planning to take about ten days to do a loop from Oregon to the Grand Canyon and back, probably stopping for 1-2 days each in the Boise, St. George (for Zion NP), Flagstaff (for Grand Canyon), Lake Tahoe areas. I'm sure these are bike/run meccas, but interested in knowing any recommended routes. Familiar with the riverside trail in Boise. Is the IMSG course reasonably safe to ride outside of race time? Good Flagstaff area bikes/runs? Lake Tahoe? Also, any promising OWS along this route? Probably won't bring my wetsuit (worried that desert heat could damage it) but will take a bike, running shoes, and my thermal Aquaskin suit, so should be good for water temps down to 70 or so. Any advice appreciated!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-06-26 10:04 AM

2012-06-26 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4280862

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Trication plannining--Boise, St. George, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe

Tons of great running, biking and swimming in Flag. Lake Mary Road is the typical ride in Flag, with a wide shoulder. There is a Saturday morning ride at the 'Pay 'n Take' located near the downtown area starting at 9AM. Lots of people with varying ability. There is a 50M pool in Flag with is very popular. Several pro triathletes and Olympic racers are in the area now for SBR training. Don't be surprised if you're swimming next to one, or see them out on a run. I would name drop, but I forget who they are...

I don't know the running as well there, but some run along Lake Mary road also. There are a lot of trails to run on too. If you have time, it's a short drive to Sedona which some consider a very beautiful area.

2012-06-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4280862

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Trication plannining--Boise, St. George, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe
The Boise greenbelt system (riverside trail) is ridable but it is a multipurpose path and there are tons of walkers on it that make it a little difficult. If you are just out for a bike cruise, it's great if you want to get in a nice ride I'd recommend Hill Rd. Nice big bike shoulders and leads to some really empty farmland. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trication plannining--Boise, St. George, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe Rss Feed