General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nike+ GPS vs. Garmin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-26 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: Nike+ GPS vs. Garmin

*Puts on flame retardant outfit*

Afternoon all, I was curious if anyone uses the Nike+ GPS Sports watch for running. I used to run with the Nike+ sensor, but when I made my switch to Vibrams, I couldn't get it calibrated accurately enough. I really enjoy the Nike+ website for tracking but was wondering if Garmin has a site for your tracking and how user friendly is it.

Comparing it to the Garmin FR 110, they are pretty equal. Nike is waterproof while Garmin has a setting for cycling. Prices are close to the same (depending on where you are buying).

Currently I run with a standard Timex $15 sports watch and map my runs either before or after and calculate my pace.

My wife is a number cruncher and "HAS TO KNOW!!!" her pace/distance, while I run more on feel overall. A lot of my friends are Garmin people, but was looking at an alternative. Or if I really need it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions if anyone has used either.

2012-06-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4281471

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Nike+ GPS vs. Garmin
deboerkj - 2012-06-26 3:22 PM

*Puts on flame retardant outfit*

Afternoon all, I was curious if anyone uses the Nike+ GPS Sports watch for running. I used to run with the Nike+ sensor, but when I made my switch to Vibrams, I couldn't get it calibrated accurately enough. I really enjoy the Nike+ website for tracking but was wondering if Garmin has a site for your tracking and how user friendly is it.

Comparing it to the Garmin FR 110, they are pretty equal. Nike is waterproof while Garmin has a setting for cycling. Prices are close to the same (depending on where you are buying).

Currently I run with a standard Timex $15 sports watch and map my runs either before or after and calculate my pace.

My wife is a number cruncher and "HAS TO KNOW!!!" her pace/distance, while I run more on feel overall. A lot of my friends are Garmin people, but was looking at an alternative. Or if I really need it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions if anyone has used either.

I run with the Nike+GPS watch and love it. Never had a problem with losing a GPS signal but it comes with the foot sensor just in case. My dad has a Garmin and I'm personally not a fan of the user interface when you upload it to the computer. I'm a dork and love all the colors and whatnot that the Nike website has. Garmin is to the point. I feel I can wear the Nike watch around and not feel silly which I don't think I could do with a Garmin haha. I upload all my workouts to a third party (Endomondo) anyway so I don't really find the lack of a cycling feature annoying. I did break one Nike watch shortly after doing my first marathon (the reason I bought it was for training for it) and Nike's customer service made it easy to return and replace (1 year warranty) which was nice. It did suck for a sentimental reason to have to give back that watch. Anyway long story short I'm more than happy with my choice of the Nike watch

2012-06-26 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i have the nike watch and its great for running.  better than the garmin?  im not sure.  the garmin comes with a HR strap and sensor, the nike does not, but you can buy one for it, and there is only one that works with it.  the garmin also allows you to export GPX files for using on websites such as BT or strava for data logging, the nike does not, it has it's own file format that you can't extract, that only works on nikeplus.com, which sometimes goes down for weeks at a time causing you to lose all your GPS data for runs during that time.  i also see how you said the nike watch is waterproof, that is totally not true, it is water resistant, submerge it and it's toast.  

i like my watch, but i bought it before i started doing tri's, or i would have invested in something better suited for tri training.  if you are just looking for a running watch and like the look, i say go for it.

2012-06-26 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I've had really good luck with Garmin.

I've been tempted to go Timex or Nike for GPS, but shy away reading reviews.

Seems like a lot of problems, but perhaps they are working the bugs out and better now (?)

That being said, Garmin has been fixing issues with the 910xt, so nothings perfect out of the oven. If I bought today, I'd still pick the Garmin.

2012-06-26 3:27 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

I've had 2 Garmins and loved them both.  The first was a 201 which I literally used until it fell apart.  The top half separated from the bottom (I think the glue wore out or something) and it fell to the ground and broke the internal circuitry and LCD display.  I replaced it with the 305 and it has been going strong ever since (almost 3 years now).  It is really easy to use and seems to be compatible with most logging sites such as this one, training peaks, etc. 

The only issues I've ever had is with the Garmin Connect software.  Every once in a while it likes to stop working which may be more a  function of my computer rather than the software.  Either way, the device works great!

2012-06-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4281563

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Clempson - 2012-06-26 4:09 PM

i have the nike watch and its great for running.  better than the garmin?  im not sure.  the garmin comes with a HR strap and sensor, the nike does not, but you can buy one for it, and there is only one that works with it.  the garmin also allows you to export GPX files for using on websites such as BT or strava for data logging, the nike does not, it has it's own file format that you can't extract, that only works on nikeplus.com, which sometimes goes down for weeks at a time causing you to lose all your GPS data for runs during that time.  i also see how you said the nike watch is waterproof, that is totally not true, it is water resistant, submerge it and it's toast.  

i like my watch, but i bought it before i started doing tri's, or i would have invested in something better suited for tri training.  if you are just looking for a running watch and like the look, i say go for it.

You could use eagerfeet.org to export your Nike+ data to GPX. Hope that helps some

2012-06-26 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4281990

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
rjrankin83 - 2012-06-26 9:20 PM

You could use eagerfeet.org to export your Nike+ data to GPX. Hope that helps some

i found that the other day, seems to be down right now though.  site creator says he hopes it will be back up soon though...

2012-06-26 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4281994

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Clempson - 2012-06-26 9:23 PM
rjrankin83 - 2012-06-26 9:20 PM

i found that the other day, seems to be down right now though.  site creator says he hopes it will be back up soon though...

Yeah he's actually had the site down since nike decided to update theres. It was supposed to be back online on the 15th so apparently he's having trouble with coding somewhere. When it works it's great though haha Tongue out

2012-06-26 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
I bought a Nike gps for my wife to use when running. Used it once and returned it for a garmim. The garmin is easier to use, and seems to have a easier time with acquiring and keeping signal.
2012-06-27 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I owned the Nike for about 2 weeks before returning it in disgust. It was a total POS. Looked fantastic, but couldn't do anything right. All the Garmins we've had in the family have been perfect.
2012-06-27 3:48 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I've never used Nike+, but I have had excellent success with my Garmin.

Also, Garmin has top notch customer service ... my 205 broke (way after warranty) and I sent it in, and they sent me a new/ refurbished one for free. I've heard others on BT say that the cust service is really great

2012-09-10 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4282012

I've been eagerly awaiting eagerfeet's return, so I could export my Nike+ data to GPX. (Hoping to try out Strava and RunKeeper). In the meantime - I tried creating my own version. Not nearly as slick, but it works. You're welcome to try it: http://mattstuehler.com/lab/NikePlus/

If anyone finds this helpful - I'd appreciate feedback!

Edited by stuehler 2012-09-10 6:09 PM
2012-09-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4281597

Master
Memphis, TN
metafizx - 2012-06-26 3:19 PM

I've had really good luck with Garmin.

I've been tempted to go Timex or Nike for GPS, but shy away reading reviews.

Seems like a lot of problems, but perhaps they are working the bugs out and better now (?)

That being said, Garmin has been fixing issues with the 910xt, so nothings perfect out of the oven. If I bought today, I'd still pick the Garmin.

Same here.  Every once in a while my Garmin 405 freaks out but 9 times out of 10 it works well.  The training software by Garmin is crap but I like the other data it gives you so I can put it into my spreadsheet I made. 

2012-09-11 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
For just running, I actually like Nike+ GPS interface a little better. I really like the feature where the line that shows your path changes color to show where your pace increases or decreases along the route. I know the Garmin shows the same info on the graph, but I prefer the Nike display. And I admit that I’m kind of a sucker for the fun interactive features, like where some famous athlete “congratulates you” when you run your fastest 10k time or where you earn medals and things for reaching milestones.
But, I don’t like running with my iPhone, and since the Garmin tracks swimming and biking as well, I prefer to have all my data in one place, so once I got the 910xt, I stopped using Nike+.
2012-09-11 9:20 AM

User image

Franklin
i use the nike+ and love it, but now that i started riding and found BT, i want a garmin now with HR monitor.
2012-09-11 10:43 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Garmin for me. I've burned through a few devices and love them. Use their website (connect.garmin.com) to create workouts, review outputs, and find runs in the area. Great service.

Coupled with Strava, get some serious challenges.

I used to own the Nike+ w/ the sportsband, but not long after owning it, it shorted and died. Replaced it and that one shorted too. Left Nike for garmin and haven't looked back.

2012-09-11 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I loved my Nike+ watch but getting more into triathlons I had to upgrade to the Timex Global Trainer for the biking features. Really wish Nike would figure out that it wouldn't have been much work to add biking to their firmware
2012-09-11 3:16 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I'm really tempted by the Nike+ GPS watch.  I currently have a Garmin 405.  It's not my favorite. At this point, I'm considering getting a Nike+ GPS for the run and a Garmin for the bike OR going with something like the 910.  The reviews of the Nike make me lean towards getting a 910.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nike+ GPS vs. Garmin Rss Feed