Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: My back yard is on fire.

2012-06-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4281529

User image

Elite

I got showered on all the way from Cheyenne to Monument, then nothing but blue sky over the Springs. Like the fire just punched a big hole in the clouds. The only thing we have are very gusty West winds blowing everything into the city. Seemed like part of the smoke from the fire up at Woodland Park was coming down the mountain. The Air Force Academy stadium was covered in smoke... But it did not appear like the fire was on the AFA grounds. The ridge line where Woodman goes up to the foothills was not effected.This was all coming down Monument Hill on I-25.

Even still, they just issued a pre-evac order for Monument (Other side of AFA). Just a "be ready" warning, not an eminent danger warning. The fire has grown to 15K acres. So far they are holding Hwy 24. It is still moving to Woodland Park.

The fire actually jumped a half a mile reservoir (Rampart Res) and started a spot fire on the other side. A half mile wide body of water is not a sufficient fire line for this fire!!!

It is cooler though. Some cloud cover, a little rise in humidity. Nothing like yesterday, but the foothills and homes are still burning. They feel like their lines held today in North West Colorado Springs.

2012-06-27 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4283748

User image

Expert
Western WI

Wow - thanks for sharing.  Again, be safe everyone.

2012-06-27 10:23 PM

User image

Elite

What a difference a day makes. Everything is very calm right now. No fireworks, no wind, nice and cool. Obviously it is still going, but very much subdued right now. I think everyone is catching their breath... well I know I am.  I had to tear myself away from the news to go for a run and hop on the trainer. I know I feel better.

Word is Obama is coming to town. Don't care about politics at this point, I would expect any President to show support. If that support bolsters all the men and women fighting so hard to get this under control then I'm happy and thank you Mr. President.

The local news showed the national news piece tonight. Wow, the images are incredible. Mainly the ones from the Denver post that was linked above. The outpouring of support to the firefighters and evacuees from the community has been equally phenomenal. It's one thing to think we will all come together when it's needed, but it's another thing to actually see it. Puts things into perspective for sure.

2012-06-27 10:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope the weather helps them get a hand on the fire. The change in temp and humidity was pretty amazing!
2012-06-27 10:55 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Maryland
I am west of 25 and south of 24 just at gate 4 to Carson. My hubs NCO has evacuated as well and our church (FlyingW) has burned, I am so saddened by this. If any of you up near the fire need a place to store stuff or a pooch or two, give me a holler we can supply a garage and a back yard.

2012-06-28 6:20 PM

User image

Elite

Some numbers and updates:

Fire before Tuesday was 6000 acres. It blew up 8000 acres that afternoon engulfing homes. Right now 346 homes were destroyed. That number will probably go up once they rules homes still standing a loss from damage.

32,000 residents are still evacuated. Some are getting pissed they are not allowed back home. One man sited state law saying the police do not have the right to keep him from his home. This was during the afternoon press briefing... the Police Chief's answer was that Colorado Springs is a "Home Rule" city and he most certainly has the authority to do just that. (He was trying to be very diplomatic) I feel for the guy, and understand frustrations... but come on, you are not going to win that argument. His point was to let everyone back in and they are just not going to do that.

500,000 pounds of food have been donated to the local food bank to help the displaced and fire fighters. During the annual "Stuff The Truck" event for Christmas they get about 100,000.

Some minor reports of burglaries, a evacuee had her stuff stolen from her car, and the scam artists have already started phone call campaigns asking for donations. In case you do not know... NO REPUTABLE CHARITY ORGANIZATION COLD CALLS FOR DONATIONS.

BEST NEWS: Very minimal growth yesterday, only a couple hundred acres. Very little today. No growth in town or towards Air Force Academy, although hot spots and flare ups remain in the foot hills.They are actively working on containment. They feel good about their work to keep it from spreading to Woodland Park and Teller County. Good weather window to allow more strides and continued containment. No real rain, but cooler and higher humidity. It's been a real trip.

If anyone needs anything let me know.

2012-06-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4285797

User image

Expert
powerman - 2012-06-28 6:20 PM

Fire before Tuesday was 6000 acres. It blew up 8000 acres that afternoon engulfing homes. Right now 346 homes were destroyed. That number will probably go up once they rules homes still standing a loss from damage.

32,000 residents are still evacuated. Some are getting pissed they are not allowed back home. One man sited state law saying the police do not have the right to keep him from his home. This was during the afternoon press briefing... the Police Chief's answer was that Colorado Springs is a "Home Rule" city and he most certainly has the authority to do just that. (He was trying to be very diplomatic) I feel for the guy, and understand frustrations... but come on, you are not going to win that argument. His point was to let everyone back in and they are just not going to do that.

500,000 pounds of food have been donated to the local food bank to help the displaced and fire fighters. During the annual "Stuff The Truck" event for Christmas they get about 100,000.

Some minor reports of burglaries, a evacuee had her stuff stolen from her car, and the scam artists have already started phone call campaigns asking for donations. In case you do not know... NO REPUTABLE CHARITY ORGANIZATION COLD CALLS FOR DONATIONS.

BEST NEWS: Very minimal growth yesterday, only a couple hundred acres. Very little today. No growth in town or towards Air Force Academy, although hot spots and flare ups remain in the foot hills.They are actively working on containment. They feel good about their work to keep it from spreading to Woodland Park and Teller County. Good weather window to allow more strides and continued containment. No real rain, but cooler and higher humidity. It's been a real trip.

Thanks for the update.  My brother's in-laws lost their house, but it seems like the other two we were watching in Mtn Shadows have survived.  Hoping that the cooler weather today allows the firefighters to get even more containment.

My prayers go out to everyone in the Springs.

2012-06-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4286350

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
lonoscurse - 2012-06-29 8:42 AM
powerman - 2012-06-28 6:20 PM

... My prayers go out to everyone in the Springs.

Sending out positive vibes to those poor Colorado peeps.

2012-06-29 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Still praying our Seattle weather heads south for longer - I don't want your weather in return but you certainly need 68 and drizzeling more than we do!

Hope everyone is still safe out there.

2012-06-29 7:02 PM

User image

Elite

So last night they lifted evacuation orders for some allowing them back home.

One body was found in a home with a second person missing from that same address. Unfortunately, they found the second body in the home today. What is really sad to me is that they were not together. I could not imagine a more horrible death than fire started for any reason, but those two were not found together and died that way. Very very sad.

NO NEW GROWTH FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT DAY. There was a big huge plume today but that was from fire crews setting back fires to fortify the line between the fire and Woodland Park. They actually bulldozed a line from Rampart Res to Hwy 24, fell trees, and set up a  sprinkler line to protect Woodland Park. Vary happy to hear that. Containment grew to 25%

Air Force One flew over me on my bike ride. I forget just how big those jumbos are until I see them in the air. I'm sorry, but it is quite a site to see Air Force One flying into your city.

AND HUGE PROPS: to all emergency service folks everywhere!!! We all know about 911, but it plays out everywhere across the country when disaster strikes. Emergency personnel giving their all to protect us. The CSPD evacuated 10,000 at rush hour in an hour when the fire storm hit without incident. CSFD was ordered to retreat when the storm hit... they regrouped outside Mountain Shadows and fought their way back in. Scanner tapes are surfacing of their courage and refusal to give up, or let one more home be lost. These were structural Fire Departments from all over the state working together to do everything they could. While 346 homes sounds like a staggering number... the fire crews saved 80% of the homes in immediate danger. I do not mean to downplay the loss of so many, but that is a phenomenal victory with what they were faced with. Thank you so much for all you guys do!!!

2012-06-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4287717

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
powerman - 2012-06-29 5:02 PM

So last night they lifted evacuation orders for some allowing them back home.

One body was found in a home with a second person missing from that same address. Unfortunately, they found the second body in the home today. What is really sad to me is that they were not together. I could not imagine a more horrible death than fire started for any reason, but those two were not found together and died that way. Very very sad.

NO NEW GROWTH FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT DAY. There was a big huge plume today but that was from fire crews setting back fires to fortify the line between the fire and Woodland Park. They actually bulldozed a line from Rampart Res to Hwy 24, fell trees, and set up a  sprinkler line to protect Woodland Park. Vary happy to hear that. Containment grew to 25%

Air Force One flew over me on my bike ride. I forget just how big those jumbos are until I see them in the air. I'm sorry, but it is quite a site to see Air Force One flying into your city.

AND HUGE PROPS: to all emergency service folks everywhere!!! We all know about 911, but it plays out everywhere across the country when disaster strikes. Emergency personnel giving their all to protect us. The CSPD evacuated 10,000 at rush hour in an hour when the fire storm hit without incident. CSFD was ordered to retreat when the storm hit... they regrouped outside Mountain Shadows and fought their way back in. Scanner tapes are surfacing of their courage and refusal to give up, or let one more home be lost. These were structural Fire Departments from all over the state working together to do everything they could. While 346 homes sounds like a staggering number... the fire crews saved 80% of the homes in immediate danger. I do not mean to downplay the loss of so many, but that is a phenomenal victory with what they were faced with. Thank you so much for all you guys do!!!

wow.  'like'  prayers are still coming your way!!!

2012-07-03 11:07 AM

User image

Elite

Well the weather is giving a break to all those tired firefighters. The Waldo Canyon fire was at 75% containment last night. The only ones still evacuated are those from Mountain shadows. Everyone is accounted for and only two deaths from the fire. Fire crews documented the Mountain Shadows fire with video. That is starting to surface. I'm sure it will not be too long before we can see the whole thing.

High Park fire is at 100% containment. Boulder Flafstaff fire too. All the fires in Colorado so far have consumed 160,000 acres. There is still no cause for the Waldo Canyon Fire, but most of the others were started by lightening.

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the firefighters killed in the plane crash in Idaho. All the other firefighters out there too. It is early in the fire season and a very bad one already. Once all these fires are done they will just move on to the next one. Please be fire safe in the outdoors this Summer. Please be very careful with fireworks this 4th.

2012-07-03 11:31 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
OH MY!!! ANOTHER crash???
If so, that's the 3rd.  Utah in May, South Dakota on Sunday, and now another in Idaho

We've GOT to get this fire fleet updated.  I canNOT believe that some of these guys are flying planes circa WWII

Glad to hear everything in Colorado is getting under control.  The Pine Ridge fire seems to be a bit scary still.

Here's to a SLIGHTLY wet forecast coming courtesy of the monsoon season.
Just hoping some of this moisture reaches as far north as Montana.

If you're looking for great updates Mon-Fri you can check out nifc.gov

Praying for an early winter (like first snow in August?   ).
2012-07-03 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4292695

User image

Elite

geauxtri - 2012-07-03 10:31 AM OH MY!!! ANOTHER crash???
If so, that's the 3rd.  Utah in May, South Dakota on Sunday, and now another in Idaho

We've GOT to get this fire fleet updated.  I canNOT believe that some of these guys are flying planes circa WWII

Glad to hear everything in Colorado is getting under control.  The Pine Ridge fire seems to be a bit scary still.

Here's to a SLIGHTLY wet forecast coming courtesy of the monsoon season.
Just hoping some of this moisture reaches as far north as Montana.

If you're looking for great updates Mon-Fri you can check out nifc.gov

Praying for an early winter (like first snow in August?   ).

Totally MY BAD. I was talking of the crash Sunday. So South Dakota not Idaho. Sorry. And yes, we do need to get them updated. Obama signed for a couple more recently. Currently we are borrowing two from Canada. C-130s can be fitted, but only after civil sources are used and the Feds are given permission to jump in. So we certainly need the civil fleet upgraded. this was the same darn thing said last year... troops are only as good as the tools they are given!

Ya, I hope you get yours in Utah under control. Seems New Mexico is doing better too.

Edited by powerman 2012-07-03 11:37 AM
2012-07-03 1:06 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Better a mistake than truth in this case

2012-07-03 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
The monsoon has certainly arrived.  But with it comes lightning.  Still an awful lot of smoke around, especially in the early morning.
2012-07-04 10:11 PM

User image

Elite

100% Containment!

So I will be done with this thread. Such a crazy couple of weeks. No ruling on cause yet. Only the burned out neighborhoods are still evacuated. Serious infrastructure damage in those areas. Even the homes not destroyed are still without some utilities.

My company has been working round the clock, bringing in other crews from other companies in Colorado to help restore service to hundreds of homes. They shut off the utilities to evacuated areas threatened by fire. Gas, water, and power. They had to cap off all the open pipes burned, go into every house and sniff for gas leaks, and replace power systems. It has been a huge undertaking. You just sort of think when they lift the evac they can just go home... no.

So there is a state wide ban on burning and fireworks and here it is 4th of July. I thought it would be OK, but there are always jack***s everywhere. I was going to have a problem with my neighbor. I just hoped out of respect.... well it's night time and not one single fire work. Not one pop... anywhere! I haven't even seen a sparkler. I am so proud of my city!

Here's all my hopes and best wishes to all those fire fighters that will be working a long hot Summer. To all those still dealing with fires in your back yard. My sky is still full of smoke, thick... from another fire up North. Stay safe everyone. Protect your firefighters... DON'T START ONE.

Edited by powerman 2012-07-04 10:14 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My back yard is on fire. Rss Feed  

of 3